Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 06:57 AM   #1
Christoph44
AF Newbie

Chrysler Crossfire or Saturn Sky??

hey all, im brand new here, I had a question about which car is better..many people are telling me the Saturn is better, and i always thought Saturn had a bad reputation, so I thought id go on an auto forum and ask...

i recently fell in love with the Saturn Sky and Chrysler Crossfire (convertible). they both seem to cost the same, and both seem to have the same gas mileage.

id really like to buy one soon, but im having trouble deciding which one. SATURN has a record of being "crappy" cars....so im sure the Crossfire would win in the "longer lasting, more reliable" category...but in terms of looks, the Saturn Sky would probably WHOOP the Crossfire.

i guess im 50/50 on looks and mechanics. below are 2 links to pics of each, if u dont already know what they look like. what do u all think is the better car?

http://www.gminsidenews.com/naias/sk.../SKY%20012.jpg (saturn sky)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/toucanzoo/461692152/ (chrysler crossfire)
Christoph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
Gotian
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Gotian
Re: Chrysler Crossfire or Saturn Sky??

Saturn does not have a history of being crappy cars! Saturn cars are awsome and much more reliable then a chrysler would ever be. My dad has an 01 chrysler sebring and that thing is going to hell, while my friend has a 96 saturn SL1 that runs like its new.

I would definately pick a Sky over a crossfire anyday, especially since the crossfire is one of the ugliest cars ive ever seen. Not to mention if you wanna talk about reliability it isnt too reliable and the have even stopped production on the crossfire a while ago.
Gotian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:07 PM   #3
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon

Bah, I don't like these reliability debates because they are based on hearsay. I've never thought Saturns to be unreliable. On the contrary my LeBaron, despite a vac leak runs like new. Not bad for a nearly 20 year old turbo charged car.

Once again, hearsay.

As for the OP. If I had to pick between the two I'd take the Saturn Sky. I've driven the Crossfire. My father owns one. Just so you know, it is really a Mercedes SL55. They aren't bad looking but they would have no hope of taking one a turbo charged Sky.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
GForce957
AF Enthusiast

Saturn all the way, are you talking about the turbo or NA version. If it's possible for you, def get the turbo, alot more fun and I believe better gas mileage
GForce957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
BlackGT2000
AF Enthusiast

I can imagine that the turbo sky is pretty fun to drive, but the NA one that I drove was pretty dull. The engine was weak and not even a fun engine for it, and the transmission didn't compliment the package well either. That alone would prevent me from getting THAT car. If it had nearly 100 more HP though the story would likely have changed.
-1991 Cavalier
-1997 Taurus GL
-1987 Ranger V6
-1985 Aries
BlackGT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:15 AM   #6
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon
Bah, I don't like these reliability debates because they are based on hearsay. I've never thought Saturns to be unreliable. On the contrary my LeBaron, despite a vac leak runs like new. Not bad for a nearly 20 year old turbo charged car.

Once again, hearsay.

As for the OP. If I had to pick between the two I'd take the Saturn Sky. I've driven the Crossfire. My father owns one. Just so you know, it is really a Mercedes SL55. They aren't bad looking but they would have no hope of taking one a turbo charged Sky.
I thought the Crossfire was based on the previous generation SLK, not the SL.

I think I would go with the Sky as well.

"I collect walnuts"
-Kimi Raikkonen on his hobbies outside of F1
DinanM3_S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:35 AM   #7
VanBorobob
AF Newbie

Chrysler Crossfire vs. Saturn Sky Review
How the Chrysler Crossfire stacks up against the Saturn Sky - by Nigel Cooper, Topanga CA

Saturn Sky Info | Chrysler Crossfire Info
Cost
The destination charge is a standard charge for transporting the vehicle from its point of origin to the dealer. The Saturn Sky is tremendously cheaper to get to the dealership than the Chrysler. The Chrysler Crossfire is tremendously more expensive than the Saturn Sky when it comes to MSRP.
Utility
The Crossfire's larger trunk will accommodate more sizeable objects than the Saturn Sky. Neither the Chrysler Crossfire nor the Saturn Sky has a marked advantage with respect to seating capacity.
Comfort
Taller drivers will substantially enjoy the extra head room in the Saturn Sky's front cabin compared to the Chrysler Crossfire.
Dimensions
The Chrysler Crossfire is a little more ponderous than the Saturn Sky. Your wallet will hurt more every time you fill up the Chrysler Crossfire than the Saturn Sky because of its larger tank. The Crossfire and the Sky compete for the same parking spaces.
Handling
The Chrysler and the Saturn have approximately comparable tires. With their comparable turning radiuses, the Chrysler and the Saturn Sky likely handle about the same into and out of tight spots.
Drivetrain
The Chrysler Crossfire has a bigger engine than the Sky. Keep in mind that smaller engines are often cheaper to fix, but smaller engines can be stressed more. The Saturn could learn a lesson or two from the Crossfire in terms of pickup. The Chrysler Crossfire packs quite a wallop compared to the Saturn Sky in terms of torque, which is the force that lets you accelerate quickly.
Overview
The Saturn Sky and the Chrysler Crossfire have the same basic warranty. In terms of warranty against corrosion, the Saturn Sky has markedly better coverage than the Chrysler Crossfire.
VanBorobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:29 AM   #8
Polygon
The Red Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinanM3_S2
I thought the Crossfire was based on the previous generation SLK, not the SL.

I think I would go with the Sky as well.
We need a smiley that smacks it's head.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:03 PM   #9
wardak33
AF Newbie

if you are buying a car that is brand new, go with the chrysler. my reason why is because now chrsyler, dodge, and jeep have a LIFETIME POWERTRAIN WARRANTY. and i assume that you want to keep this car for a while....so yea
Old 02-28-2008, 03:18 PM   #10
Polygon
The Red Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardak33
if you are buying a car that is brand new, go with the chrysler. my reason why is because now chrsyler, dodge, and jeep have a LIFETIME POWERTRAIN WARRANTY. and i assume that you want to keep this car for a while....so yea
Considering that the 2008 Crossfire has a 3.2L SOHC engine and costs nearly $36,000 I'd say if you're buying new the Crossfire isn't even close to worth it.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:29 AM   #11
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon
Considering that the 2008 Crossfire has a 3.2L SOHC engine and costs nearly $36,000 I'd say if you're buying new the Crossfire isn't even close to worth it.

What is this, the 80s?

Next Chrysler will be saying that live axles, leaf springs and carbberators are latest and greatest, and well worth a premium price.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #12
GForce957
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBorobob
Chrysler Crossfire vs. Saturn Sky Review
How the Chrysler Crossfire stacks up against the Saturn Sky - by Nigel Cooper, Topanga CA

Saturn Sky Info | Chrysler Crossfire Info
Cost
The destination charge is a standard charge for transporting the vehicle from its point of origin to the dealer. The Saturn Sky is tremendously cheaper to get to the dealership than the Chrysler. The Chrysler Crossfire is tremendously more expensive than the Saturn Sky when it comes to MSRP.
Utility
The Crossfire's larger trunk will accommodate more sizeable objects than the Saturn Sky. Neither the Chrysler Crossfire nor the Saturn Sky has a marked advantage with respect to seating capacity.
Comfort
Taller drivers will substantially enjoy the extra head room in the Saturn Sky's front cabin compared to the Chrysler Crossfire.
Dimensions
The Chrysler Crossfire is a little more ponderous than the Saturn Sky. Your wallet will hurt more every time you fill up the Chrysler Crossfire than the Saturn Sky because of its larger tank. The Crossfire and the Sky compete for the same parking spaces.
Handling
The Chrysler and the Saturn have approximately comparable tires. With their comparable turning radiuses, the Chrysler and the Saturn Sky likely handle about the same into and out of tight spots.
Drivetrain
The Chrysler Crossfire has a bigger engine than the Sky. Keep in mind that smaller engines are often cheaper to fix, but smaller engines can be stressed more. The Saturn could learn a lesson or two from the Crossfire in terms of pickup. The Chrysler Crossfire packs quite a wallop compared to the Saturn Sky in terms of torque, which is the force that lets you accelerate quickly.
Overview
The Saturn Sky and the Chrysler Crossfire have the same basic warranty. In terms of warranty against corrosion, the Saturn Sky has markedly better coverage than the Chrysler Crossfire.
Wow this is a crappy review. The saturn has a larger tank so your wallet hurts more, yet says nothing about mpg. I prefer larger tanks so I dont have to fill up every couple days.

They compete for the same parking spaces? yikes.

I had no idea that approximately similar tires means the cars handle the same.
GForce957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #13
Polygon
The Red Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppie
What is this, the 80s?

Next Chrysler will be saying that live axles, leaf springs and carbberators are latest and greatest, and well worth a premium price.
Exactly!

I though the split would be cause for improvements at Chrysler. It seems I was wrong. There's no excuse to using a SOHC engine at all today. We mind as well revert back to drum brakes as well.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons