Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 01:48 PM   #31
mcooke
AF Newbie

Re: speed sensor

I went out today and opened up the wiring harness where it runs in front of the transmission pan and found it full of transmission fluid it was kind of weird because I couldn't find where it was leaking from and it was only in that spot on the harness but it had quite a bit of fluid so I cleaned it out and dried the wires with a rag, I then found a bright green wire that didn't look broken but it was smashed up a bit so I cut out the bad part and replaced it with new and didn't see any other problems and put it back together hooked up the battery and took it for a drive. The service engine light was reset and the speedometer and all the other guages worked but the trans. still wouldn't shift out of second, after about 3 miles I pulled over and shut it off and waited for about a minute and restarted it and the ses light was back and the guages quit. If I disconnect the battery it resets the light and guages until I shut it off and restart it but the trans won't reset. Would the solenoid pack keep the trans. from communicating with the tcm and pcm? or should I try replacing the entire harness from the tcm to the pcm?
mcooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:10 PM   #32
msrc
AF Newbie

Hi mcooke.
I have not yet measured my speed sensor, because I found out that an old friend of mine is actually working for Chrysler here in the area, and I spoke to him today. He told me that my problem is most likely due to failing input or output speed sensor. I will visit him tomorrow (wednesday) and he will sell me 2 sensors for a good price. After replacing them tomorrow, I hope that my problem will be gone. If not, he will assist me with the search of the reason for the problem.

I will also ask him about your problem. He has a lot of experiance, and with some luck, he has some good ideas.
Hopefully I will have some news within 24 hours.

Regards from Stockholm

Last edited by msrc; 08-09-2006 at 01:42 PM.
msrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:12 PM   #33
msrc
AF Newbie

Hi again.
My problem is now solved!
I went to my friend at Chrysler, Stockholm , and he connected the "PC" to read the error codes. I had P0731, and it was indicating a problem with 1'st gear. Nothing mentioned the speed sensors, but since the output speed is needed to make the TCM sure about what gear to use, it was quite obvious that the speed sensor needed too be replaced. I bought both the input and the output sensor.
I took out the old output speed sensor, and measured the resistance between the 2 pins. It was infinite. (endless amount of ohm's). Since there are no free rotating parts, just the magnet inside the plastic body, I took another magnet and tried to get some kind of response from the sensor.
Nothing happened. I then measured the new output speed sensor, and I had 0,68 ohm's between the pins. When I moved the other magnet towards the sensor magnet, the values changed. Moving the magnet around gave me different readings, but all somewhere between 0,60 and 1,20 ohms.
So now i knew that the old sensor was bad!
After replacing the output sensor, the Voyager works perfectly.
Case closed!!

Regarding your problem, mcooke, my friend asked the following :
When you start the engine, and put it to D, does your Voyager start with 1'st gear, and after just a few meters, shift to the 2'nd gear?
Or does it use 2'nd gear from the very beginning? (after ignition off/on)
If it starts at 1'st gear, you would likely still have a problem with one or both speed sensors (or signals to and from them). Maybe you should try to measure them as I did?
If it starts with 2'nd gear after ignition off/on, you would likely have a problem with the solenoid pack. (or signals to and from)

I hope you will solve your problem. After all, the problem is really easy to fix, and probably not expensive. All you have to do is to find it !!? (All you have to .......???)
What I mean is that you should not give up, and you are welcome to give me more input, and I will pass it on to my friend.

Regards from Stockholm
msrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:39 AM   #34
mcooke
AF Newbie

Thanks for the information,It stays in second all the time from when I start to when I shut it off,If I disconnect the battery it will reset the service light and the speedo until I turn it off then the light comes back on and the speedo quits again but it stays in second all the time. I am going to change the solenoid pack next and see what happens but it will be about a week before I can get the time to do the work. Is there anything special that I need to do when I change it or is it just take off the old and put on the new kind of thing? Thanks again msrc I really appreciate your help.
mcooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:39 PM   #35
reddon231cars
AF Newbie

thanks fkor the help, have 99 ply 3.0, changed speedo sensor and all is well, by the way the 99 has only one sensor. thanks don
reddon231cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:27 PM   #36
reddon231cars
AF Newbie

Smile Re: speed sensor

[quote=reddon231cars]thanks for the help, have 99 ply 3.0, changed speedo sensor and all is well, by the way the 99 has only one sensor. i am very appreciative for the help given. thanks don
reddon231cars is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager