Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 10:20 AM   #46
Hoody
AF Newbie

Re: Brake and antilock lights come on (92 Caravan)

Walt

OK an update ...... The part arrived yesterday, have appointment to install tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW: anything I should know to tell them to be aware of when they do this? like clearing codes, or ya think these chrysler mech's know what they are doin. LOL )
Hoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:00 AM   #47
waltham41
AF Regular

Glad to hear that they finally found one for you, if they dont clear the codes all you have to do as far as I know is unhook the battery for a few minutes and that will clear them

The only problem they had with mine was the rod on the back of the defective unit was a different length than the new one, they scratched their heads on that one until one of the techs got smart and just swapped the rods so it would be correct.

Keep us posted.
waltham41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:35 AM   #48
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoody
Walt

OK an update ...... The part arrived yesterday, have appointment to install tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW: anything I should know to tell them to be aware of when they do this? like clearing codes, or ya think these chrysler mech's know what they are doin. LOL )
Glad your are making progress on it.
Just let them do there thing.
Most of them know what is best.
If you have done anything yourself on the repair just tell them what you done and they can take it from there.
Usually ABS codes clear thereself on key off ign on.
If the light stays on then you have a problem,
Light goes off all is well.
Let us know hoe it goes.
MT
Old 08-24-2006, 05:18 PM   #49
Hoody
AF Newbie

Update 2

took it in this morning 0830, by 13:20 they called and said it won't be done till 5, and BTW the lines are froze and won't break loose, and they may have to break them and replace them "at my expense" I said yeah right, no sweat, just note it ALL down in plain english what you do that will cose me and I'll call Chrysler HQ myself on it.

Went back at 16:30 to see what the status was, and they said it will be done tomorrow, they will call me when to pick it up, and oh by the way the lines "came loose" after "soaking" them (yeah really) I guess my mentioning that I'll get back with Chrysler HQ on anythinf that was "on me" due to this recall got their attention. As far as I'm concedrned anything they do to repair a recall they can bill Chrysler for.

So we'll se what happens tomorrow.... I'll K I T
Old 08-26-2006, 10:56 AM   #50
Hoody
AF Newbie

Update 3

Picked up van, paid 79.95 for the "extra" work for the lines ( weird)

Anyway seems I need another part, a pump, which is also under recall, this part was orderd and will be installed when it comes in. The ABS light is still on though, and the red break light comes on at first than goes out after a few min of driving. The breaks still feel the same too.

The Service guy said that this won't change untill they can install the other part, the pump.

Also called the Chrysler contact about this, was told the part should be there next week, and that Chrysler will reimburse me the 79 bucks. So we'll see how it goes from here.

Ain't this stuff fun
Old 08-30-2006, 04:50 PM   #51
Hoody
AF Newbie

update 4

Walt looks like this story will never end till its junked lol (groans) OK the Accumulator/master cyl has been replaced, today the pump was replaced, the breaks are working OK the red break light is off, YET now the ABS light is still on, It does does seem to be out for a few sec when you start up, but than pops back on. Here's what they put on my copy.

================================================== ======
CUSTOMER STATES ABS LIGHT ON AND BRAKE LIGHT INSTALL SOP.PER RECAL REPLACED THE ABS PUMP.DUE TO PUMP RUNNING ALL THE TIME, FIXED THE PUMP PROBLEM. NOW HAS CODE FOR MODULE FAILURE WILL NEED MORE TIME FOR DIAGNOSES ON THE ABS SYSTEM. ACCORDING TO TEST COULD BE THE ABS MODULE OR A WIREING PROBLEM NEITHER WITCH ARE COVERED UNDER THE RECALL.

So now I'm wondering if "codes" were cleared like they were on yours. Cause I remember you sayin somptin like this. You think if I unhook the batt for a few sec it would correct?
Old 08-30-2006, 05:52 PM   #52
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
update 4

Walt looks like this story will never end till its junked lol (groans) OK the Accumulator/master cyl has been replaced, today the pump was replaced, the breaks are working OK the red break light is off, YET now the ABS light is still on, It does does seem to be out for a few sec when you start up, but than pops back on. Here's what they put on my copy.

CUSTOMER STATES ABS LIGHT ON AND BRAKE LIGHT INSTALL SOP.PER RECAL REPLACED THE ABS PUMP.DUE TO PUMP RUNNING ALL THE TIME, FIXED THE PUMP PROBLEM. NOW HAS CODE FOR MODULE FAILURE WILL NEED MORE TIME FOR DIAGNOSES ON THE ABS SYSTEM. ACCORDING TO TEST COULD BE THE ABS MODULE OR A WIREING PROBLEM NEITHER WITCH ARE COVERED UNDER THE RECALL.

So now I'm wondering if "codes" were cleared like they were on yours. Cause I remember you sayin somptin like this. You think if I unhook the batt for a few sec it would correct?

Do not let them off the hook.
They are just trying to weasel out on it.
The modjulator is part of the abs brake system which is under a lifetime warranty.
Abs codes unlike engine codes will clear thereself ever time key is turned off and recheck there self on key on start up.
MT
Old 08-30-2006, 06:57 PM   #53
Hoody
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-2500
Do not let them off the hook.
They are just trying to weasel out on it.
The modjulator is part of the abs brake system which is under a lifetime warranty.
Abs codes unlike engine codes will clear thereself ever time key is turned off and recheck there self on key on start up.
MT

Well all I have on recall is the 2 parts they replaced, if you have anything in writing showing the module is also a recall part pls post it here so I can send it to Chrysler HQ contact and ask about it or why the dealer said all recall parts have been replaced.

BTW: anybody know what this "ABS module" is? what it looks like and where its located?
Old 08-31-2006, 09:40 AM   #54
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Well all I have on recall is the 2 parts they replaced, if you have anything in writing showing the module is also a recall part pls post it here so I can send it to Chrysler HQ contact and ask about it or why the dealer said all recall parts have been replaced.

BTW: anybody know what this "ABS module" is? what it looks like and where its located?

The module is part of the ABS unit.
The ABS unit has a extended liftime warranty parts and labor.
Your dealer should have the information on it.
If they can not fix it find a dealer that will.
Call the 800 customer service in the owners manual.
Or contact the NHTSA.
MT
Old 08-31-2006, 10:11 AM   #55
Hoody
AF Newbie

there is NO abs module listed as part of the recall that I can find, it has 2 parts listed, the accu/mastcyl and the pump. no numbers for any module.

I talked to Chrysler this morning, after fax them a copy of what was done and said. And its the same deal. The module if bad is on me.

even the NHTSA said to call the chrysler number.

However if your so sure it is part of the recall get me the document that says so, I've been through this for the past 8 months and you'd think if it was under recall they would have said so. As I managed to get this far after sayin I was gona go to my local TV station.

I'd still like a pic of this module, and just where its located.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:17 AM   #56
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
there is NO abs module listed as part of the recall that I can find, it has 2 parts listed, the accu/mastcyl and the pump. no numbers for any module.

I talked to Chrysler this morning, after fax them a copy of what was done and said. And its the same deal. The module if bad is on me.

even the NHTSA said to call the chrysler number.

However if your so sure it is part of the recall get me the document that says so, I've been through this for the past 8 months and you'd think if it was under recall they would have said so. As I managed to get this far after sayin I was gona go to my local TV station.

I'd still like a pic of this module, and just where its located.

The Hole ABS system is under a Lifetime Warranty.
Find another good and also a five star cry dealer and see what they have to say about it.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:00 AM   #57
Hoody
AF Newbie

Quote:
Find another good and also a five star cry dealer and see what they have to say about it.

OKyyyyyy so like I said since your so sure about this, and I can't find anything on anything else being covered cept the 2 parts, give me a contact that "knows" or some kind of documentation. I already called everybody on this thing I can call at Chrysler, and all I get is the same, the recall is for the 2 items nothing else.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:51 AM   #58
Hoody
AF Newbie

Quote:

OK here's the final deal on this thing for your information: From DaimlerChryslerCorporate HQ Auburn Hills MI

The 2 items accu/mastcyl and the pump ARE covered under LIFETIME recall status.

The CAB module was ONLY covered up to 100,000 miles............................. PERIOD end of story

This recall only effects the 91/92 years with the Bendix 10 ABS system

This old "used" 92 T&C van has 188K, so its NOT gona get the CAB module replaced at Chryslers expense.

At least DaimlerChrysler was nice enough to reimburse me the 79.95 fee charged by the dealer for "extra" work due to the lines being frozen and hard to get off. Which I kinda bitched about cause it looked petty to me for a recall job.

I don't need anymore "expert" advice when its not been researched. I had enough trouble just getting them to do these repairs on this old used van, which was really a surprise to me anyway that those 2 parts were replaced for a van this old. and bought used too. The guy that sold it tried to hide the fact by covering the ABS light with elec tape, which I found a couple days later, but the joke is on him cause I got it pretty much fixed free anyway.

Right now the ABS light is still on but the breaks are OK now, its pretty much an electrical error due to this CAB thing, but I can deal with that one way or another as long as the breaks are workin. Cause as I said if it runs for at least 3 years as it is I'll have got my 800 bucks out of it.

If I was a better mech I'd just remove the entire damned ABS altogether, its useless to me.

Last edited by Hoody; 09-06-2006 at 04:55 PM.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager