Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 09:58 PM   #1
hammer2
AF Newbie

2003 Grand Caravan 3.8 no crank

will try again. sudden no crank, and fuel pump not coming on. it is occasional. Sometimes vehicle will start-I know if going to start cause I can hear the fuel pump come on for second or two when key is turned to run. If the fuel pump comes on, it ALWAYS will then crank and start. When it doesn't crank, I can jump the relay and starter will always turn. It starter this way, about 3 times, and I got home when the problem first started. But now it will crank but it doesn't start-suspect no fuel. Thoughts on next step?
hammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:49 PM   #2
RIP
AF -Advisor

Re: 2003 Grand Caravan 3.8 no crank

Still around? Intermittent problems are a pain in the rear. Probably a loose or corroded connection. Swap the fuel pump relay with another identical relay in the IPM. Inspect the fuse contacts for corrosion. Disconnect the connections on the bottom of the IPM and inspect for corrosion or damage. Inspect the fuel pump connection for same. Check for power at the pump. If there, the pump is toast.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:42 AM   #3
hammer2
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 Grand Caravan 3.8 no crank

Have already done those things. checked fuel pump relay (provided power/ground to correct terminals and checked for "click" and continuity of other terminals) as well as swapped with different one. rotated the IPM and disconnected all the connectors underneath and one looked little corroded so I filed it and sprayed electrical cleaner but didn't make a difference. If I jump fuel pump relay, the fuel pump starts. haven't disconnected wires at pump and check for power when turn key on, but if jumping relay starts pump I don't know if that is necessary? When turn key to on or start, there is power to fuel pump relay (at post that is dead when key is off) and a post is grounded. so if current is flowing through this circuit, and the relay is good (which it is cause it was tested) and if providing power to the wire going to fuel pump starts pump----why does pump not start when turn key on with relay in place??? Same as starter relay (switched power at relay, it is grounded (but in all gears and should only be grounded in N, P), relay good, jumping relay cranks starter, yet engine won't crank with relay in place.

Last edited by hammer2; 10-04-2016 at 03:52 PM.
hammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager