Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #1
jdmccright
The RustBuster

2500HD front wheel bearing hubs - replacement inner cap for 2wd?

Just bought an '04 2500HD and need to replace one of the front wheel bearing hubs. I noticed that the one that needs replacing is missing a metal cap that covers the splined axle hole on the inside for the 2wd version. I surmise that the missing cap is part of the reason for the bearing's early failure as it looks to have been replaced before.

Problem is I cannot find a replacement cap anywhere. Most parts stores only sell the 4wd bearing without the cap. While I have found a few on eBay, ship times are longer and warranty issues are more difficult to resolve.

Any ideas?
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #2
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2500HD front wheel bearing hubs - replacement inner cap for 2wd?

Really doubt the failure was due to the cap missing. The splines are inside the hub, not the bearing. The bearing is sealed from the ouside world. Even if the cap was on, waster/dirt/ ect...would get inside the hub splined from the inside. The replacement bearing may not have been a good quality one, or, depending on the miles, may have just worn out. It's possible it was even involved in a curb hit that damaged it.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmccright View Post
Just bought an '04 2500HD and need to replace one of the front wheel bearing hubs. I noticed that the one that needs replacing is missing a metal cap that covers the splined axle hole on the inside for the 2wd version. I surmise that the missing cap is part of the reason for the bearing's early failure as it looks to have been replaced before.

Problem is I cannot find a replacement cap anywhere. Most parts stores only sell the 4wd bearing without the cap. While I have found a few on eBay, ship times are longer and warranty issues are more difficult to resolve.

Any ideas?
this hole has no effect on the bearings. the seals of the bearings rust out then they fail. both my hubs failed due to the seals made of Chinese steel that rusted to no metal. all that was left was the rubber of the seal !
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
jdmccright
The RustBuster

Time for a follow-up:

Okay, I replaced the hub with one that did not have a cap. Apparently the cap is press-fit into the back side of the hub somehow...it spins with the wheel as it turns.

Anyway, I took matters into my own hands to try and protect the back side from unnecessary intrusion of dirt and water. What I did was make a cover by cutting a piece of sheet metal into a disc shape about 3-1/4" in diameter, a little larger than the diameter of the hole in the spindle. Then I snipped and bent in three 1/2" long by 1/4" wide tabs equally around the edge so that the sharp corners of the tabs would hold it in the inside diameter of the spindle.

There is a curved notch on the bottom part of the spindle hole to make room for the lower ball joint. So I gave the disc a gentle bend between two of the tabs to match the curve along the bottom.

Finally, I coated the back side of the hub with bearing grease to help prevent rust, then installed the cover and ran a bead of ultra black silicone sealant around the edge of the cover. It's a bit ugly but I hope it will keep the worst of the crud and water out of there. I could have painted the covers but I wasn't concerned with looks at this point. I cared more about function.

I'll post pics when I can.
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado