Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Rover > 45
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 01:22 PM   #1
crayzayjay
CFA

Rover 45

I was gonna write something about the Rover 45, but its really not worth it i would have probably fallen asleep, thats how "exciting" this car is....

about as exciting as it looks... i.e. not at all :o
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 02:46 PM   #2
Thunda Downunda
AF Enthusiast

I saw a couple of Rover 45s in the metal last year, the 3 door variant

Frankly I thought them quite (and quietly) attractive, certainly more so than any comparable japanese car including Honda. Conservative but very clean, tastefully detailed. I've no idea how they drive though.

Doughty little Rover-MG is one of my favorite car companys, whom I wish well on. Viewed from afar their management certainly seem to be trying hard despite limited assets, doing everything they can to survive
Thunda Downunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 04:01 PM   #3
crayzayjay
CFA

It's really not very good at all. It keeps getting rubbished in the press, is embarrassingly outdated and the sales numbers reflect this. It's simply astonishing how much better the MG ZS is. I wish MG well too

The 45's styling is just so bland i cant understand their decision to pen it like this. Even when it was released as the 400 i thought it was an unimaginative design. Just my pennies worth
Old 01-26-2003, 04:17 PM   #4
Thunda Downunda
AF Enthusiast

Ooops I've completely stuffed up here - I was thinking of the Rover 25!

Sorry

btw: If you follow the cricket at all, your captain is earning much respect down here

Talk later
Old 01-27-2003, 01:34 PM   #5
crayzayjay
CFA

I like the 25's, but this, no way :hehe:

I dont really follow cricket, whats Nasser done? its rare that the English team do anything good in cricket, im quite interested...
Old 02-22-2003, 05:49 AM   #6
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
lol.............My aunty back in NZ just bought a 45 It is really an EG Civic in a tux The ZS MG is magival though

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 07:56 AM   #7
Thunda Downunda
AF Enthusiast

Many in the australian cricket team are impressive cricketers, but IMO rate as lousy sportsmen - in fact quite a national embarrassment to those here who love cricket, recognise there's more to the game than mere results and hate to see it cheapened

In contrast, as well as sticking it out on a tough test, your English Captain displayed nothing less than the epitome of good grace and high sportsmanship whether his team won or lost .. ie quiet humility in victory and sincere praise in defeat, which is how we all wish our team would act, rather than us being stuck with the 'win at all costs' mentality shown by those sledging overpaid boors
Old 03-09-2003, 05:54 AM   #8
crayzayjay
CFA

Smile

well ideally you'd have a gracious, winning team... but if you were to choose one over the other, i guess it's better to be successful... the english are just too "nice" to be successful at many sports...

Examples:
1) Cricket
2) Tennis - Henman. Need i say more?
3) Football - The world cup game against Brazil. When Brazil equalised the english team just stopped trying. the mentality was "we tried and did ok. theres no shame in losing now".

and thats precisely the problem. no winning mentality... it extends through a lot of British sport
Old 09-05-2003, 04:12 AM   #9
deminimus
AF Newbie

Rover 416 and British sports

Let's talk about car first and then the British sports mentality:

I bought a Rover 416Sli (auto) new way back in 1998. At the time I bought it because my wife liked the 'classic' design. I was given a lot of of stick for my choice for I could have got many Japanese cars with much better specs and resale value for the same amount...anyway. Now 5 years on we still have the car, it's done 66,000 km, the engine (one of the last Honda engines before Rover started the fatal alliance with BMW) is still quiet, the gearbox is still smooth; ok, the car's various bits now make some noises such as the right glovebox doesn't close tightly and, really annoyingly, the OSF door handle detached deom its housing. Ok, these are not major mechanical disaster but a joke nonetheless. Overall, I am still happy with the car, it drives well, feel comfy and free from any kinda mechanical anomaly. My other cars are BMB 323i and Kia Sportage. Not fair to compare the 416 to the Bimmer coz of the price difference but my Sportage, bought new end of 1996, suffered anomaly within 1 year with clutch problem after 25,000 miles and unstable idle speed. Just to give you a better perspective, the Rover I am still proud of.

Regarding British sportsmanship, I guess it has a lot to do with the whole attitude of seeing someone being good at anything (I was top of my class in Maths at 13, I must therefore be a swot). Mind you, with the crazy money which has now gone into football, the Beckhams and Owens have become national heroes. The downside to competitiveness could be illustrated in a commentary I heard in the US Open yesterday when Dent was having his knee problem and the guy said of Agassi "You must feel pretty good that your opponent is injured" implying that it should give Andre the edge. I mean what kind of sportsmanship is that. It is degrading and would never happen in Britain.
deminimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 10:08 AM   #10
crayzayjay
CFA

Straight to the sports:

I don’t think your example is the best but youre right, American commentators can be appalling. One referred to Iraq’s competitors in the recent athletic championships as the “representatives of the axis of evil” or some crap like that. But all commentators are guilty of it, and players from all countries cheat. Little micky owen’s a diver, isn’t he?
Old 09-08-2003, 11:31 AM   #11
Import_Tuner
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Import_Tuner Send a message via MSN to Import_Tuner
Hey
Hes small he cant help it By the way the old school Rovers (ie. before the MG replacements) are boring and pretty slow. Apart from the 420 GSi and 420 GSi Turbo (non diesel turbo!) they are both fast, the turbo has around 200 bhp! also if you have a small wing/spoiler and a new set of wheels, it looks quite good.

--Chris
Proud Moderator of Banzai Magazine Forum
http://www.banzaimagazine.com
Import_Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 03:45 AM   #12
Ssom
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Ssom Send a message via AIM to Ssom
lol- 9 months since the Rover re-release and I am still yet to see a Rover 45 on the street- I see lots of 400's though- they are allright cars- my friends grandma had one before moving up to a 75- It was an OK car- in fact- it is built off the same platform as my car! (EG Honda Civic) hence it is a great drive
Ssom is offline   Reply With Quote