Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-27-2001, 10:00 PM   #46
wilburburns
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to wilburburns
Rack Attachments

Will the Shovel and Ax attachments fit on the truck? If so, then that would be cool. It would allow almost all of the stuff normally carried on the roof rack to be mounted lower and significantly lower the center of gravity.

I just received my 4-wheel drive hardware catalog today, and there are mount locations and brackets for everything. Their example jeep had a tire, AX, Shovel, Jerry Can, Hilift, Rack, And cooler all attached to that bumper..[]

Now, I'm not sure I could or would cut the tailgate, but once the plastic corner pieces are replaced, It should look as finished as any KMA does.

I can't believe all the hooplah that this one bumper has caused, especially since it's still a work in progress. You will have more options for mounting stuff than any other current aftermarket bumper..

Cliff
wilburburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 10:20 PM   #47
PlayHard
AF Newbie

For what it's worth CD I think the new bumper looks good. Obviously without the side panels the truck looks like a dog's breakfast, but I think the set up is a great idea. I do have to admit that the Calimini set up is a little cleaner, but it will be a better comparison when yours is complete. Well done.
Old 10-27-2001, 11:32 PM   #48
Xlax
AF Enthusiast

Matt, Now you have to post a pic of that Rack.....

Claus
Xlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 12:16 AM   #49
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

I guess you're missing my point. CD obviously went with his choice because he liked the functionality of it. You did the same, so I don't understand why you would ask him the question you did. Just sounded like the kettle calling the pot black. Why you would say your rack is free is beyond me. Did your welder work for free? No he traded it for your experience and time to perform a service he needed. Personally I would give my personal time more credit that you seem to.

As for mine. I have openly called it a turd, and have done my best to steer people away from KMA. However I still had a need for a rear bumper and tow points.
So I was willing to fix it to get what I needed. I actually like mine now, but when other people ask me about my bumper I tell them to look for Calmini or SLR to come out with something (yes, my true bias is out. I criticise Calmini because I want them to come out with a good product that members in our club can buy and enjoy. I actually want people to learn from my bad experience and get something better. Oh I'm so evil aren't I).
Old 10-28-2001, 12:42 AM   #50
Matt Peckham
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Matt Peckham
I hear ya schlud, I guess I don't think grabbing a predesigned product for another VERY different vehicle and slapping it on is the right answer. I may be alone in that opinion, and I understand that people do it all the time, but for the price he spent, he probably could've gotten a local welder to create a custom one. I could see using the top part of the swingarm and mounting it to a bumper fascia that more closely resembled the Xterra one, but using the Jeep bumper, which is too low, too narrow, and tapered oddly, well that's just weird, personally.

and Xlax, some photos of my rack...

Old 10-28-2001, 01:38 AM   #51
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Wink

Maybe, but when Charles and I were looking into getting a custom bumper made it was going to come out to $1000. Craisy at least has the option of getting other accessories later on that are made for his bumper.

I don't think anyone does these mods lightly. They're two year old trucks!!! I know everyone weighs these things carefully so I just try and learn from their experience.

If we all just bought mods off the shelf then we probably wouldn't have learned as much as we have. I've gained a lot of knowledge installing my own parts, digging through my truck with Chuck and figuring out how to make the best improvements for what we need. Just having a "credit card" Xterra would be pretty booring.

Personally I enjoy the experimentation.
Old 10-28-2001, 01:09 AM   #52
Xlax
AF Enthusiast

Individuality

Personally I think any mod that is either made by the owner himself or custom designed and is functional is just an added bonus to our great common hobby.

More power to both DC and Mr. Peckham (thanks for the pics Matt)

Anyone can flame or think a mod is lame BUT if it works for the person, then more power to the owner of the truck. At PNWX I love to see Mateo's truck "evolve" with cameras and now a self-designed snorkel !.

Screw the brand names. If the end result in performing/designing your own truck is that YOU get the max use out of it then the intent was fulfilled

as for Chuck and Schlud, yeah your bumpers have been a bitch, but I bet you learned a ton about fitting etc. and the end result, despite the cost must be worth it (it is still on your trucks !)

Claus
Xlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 05:44 AM   #53
Matt Peckham
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Matt Peckham
see now, without criticism, this quite thought provoking discussion would not have arisen. His bumper is functional. Let's just hope the end result is a little less awkward.

Matt