Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 12:54 PM   #16
Xodus
AF Newbie

I just bought a pair of new front pads from local store. I haven't done any brake job before. How hard is it to replace front pads? Are there any tips or stuff to watch out while I'm doing it? I'm a little be worried since I don't have service manual with me and no such infor or anything.
Xodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 08:00 AM   #17
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 08:16 PM   #18
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

Cool

It takes you about 15 minutes per wheel to do it! I helped a friend do it this weekend! I did one side and he watched, then did the other side! All you have to do is jack up the truck. put it on jack stands. Take off the wheel. Break loose the 14mm upper bolt and remove the lower 14mm bolt. Rotate the brake caliper up. Old shoes come out. Put new shoes in. Open brake fluid cap. Star slowly squeezing the calipers till they slide over the new brake shoes as they will take up more room then the old ones. You'll probably have to siphon off some brake fluid in the process. Tighten up the two bolts you looosened. tire back on, truck off the jackstands, torque your lug nuts and you are done!
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 10:06 PM   #19
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Well, that's the quick-and-dirty way, but pushing old fluid with contaminants out of the wheel cylinders back up into the ABS system can lead to problems. I did it the first time, and many others have too, with no problem, but the second time I did it right. You can pass on greasing the slider pins and all too, just swap the pads and call it quits, but the how-to I posted (and wrote) is the full monte.

Brent
Old 09-04-2003, 05:50 PM   #20
Xodus
AF Newbie

Finally, I replace my brake pads. Thanks OffroadX and rrdstarr for help of instruction. No problem so far, just feel like it lost little bit of pressure(I have to step on brake hader to stop) but I'll do some bleeding to resolve that problem later.

Thanks.
Xodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 07:39 PM   #21
AM_2700
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to AM_2700
Hello, this is my first time one this site. I have a 2000 Nissan Xterra with 170,000kms (100,000 miles) It has been one of the best trucks that I have owned. lately it seems that things are starting to go wron, I just spent lots of $$$ for both exhust manifolds, tune-ups etc. Now the front brakes are squeeking like crazy. I took off one of the front tires and noticed that the brake pads are very thin. I want to change them myself, the dealer wants too much $$$. The rotors feel good, no vibration on pedal.

1) Why are they squeeking when the truck is in motion, but when i press on the brake pedal the noise goes away?

2) Do I need to buy anything else, other then the pads?

Thanks
AM_2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 09:12 AM   #22
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Re: Front brakes, need new pads, etc.

There is a complete how-to linked in my post on page 1 of this thread. It lists all the tools and supplies you will need to do the job. New pads are the absolute minimum you will need to buy, but the anti-squeal goo is highly recommended. The rest of the items are needed if you're going to the the complete, thorough, and proper job instead of simply replacing the pads.`
The squeaking is normal, when the pads are just reaching the point where the squeal tab can contact the rotor, it will squeal faintly when the brakes are not applied. Applying the brakes dampens the vibration and quiets it. As the pads wear a little more, it will become the opposite, they will not squeal when the brakes are not applied, but will squeal (louder) when they are.

Brent
Old 10-07-2004, 09:06 PM   #23
chutchin
AF Newbie

Hey.
I would suggest you spend $1 and try QuikMechanic at:
http://www.ineed1.com/quikmechanic.html

I used them before and they helped alot. I did waste my money and go to a mechanic without being prepared and without spending to much money like $68 per hour, and still don't fix it. It's just $1 anyway, so you can't go wrong.

Chutch
chutchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:50 AM   #24
4X4Chick
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to 4X4Chick

Does anyone have a picture of how the front brake pads should look once installed? Mine are still making noise...
4X4Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 02:30 PM   #25
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Many brake/service shops offer a free inspection, take yours to a place to get checked out.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:36 PM   #26
2001cromo
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadX

Hi Brent,
I can't seem to get that page with the "how to" do you still have that?

I'm also interested in changing the back shoes too.

<edit> I just found your cliff notes for the rear shoes, Thanks!!!</edit>

Thanks in advance,
Terry
2001cromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:04 PM   #27
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail