Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 04:07 AM   #16
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

Lightbulb EOE sliders and camping....

I really didn't get to used the sliders out on the first weekend out but I did put them to good use and a little bit of a stress test! I leveled the X for sleeping that evening and left the hi-lift in place for 12 hours! No deflection or anything! I know mine are welded on but it is still on hell of a sturdy design!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg campinga.jpg (68.5 KB, 360 views)
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 04:52 AM   #17
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to warmonger Send a message via Yahoo to warmonger
Reasons why you will have to take your rock sliders off:

One gets damaged over time from use.

Installation of a new body lift.

Fuel Tank repair or modification (may not necessitate removal of rock slider, I am not sure since the fuel tank is one of the few things I haven't removed yet).

There is a way around welding that I did with a Jeep I used to have. It requires removal of the fuel tank but guarantees solidity of the mount. Drill through both layers of frame and bolt it through both sides. With six grade 5 bolts going through two layers of frame, you won't break the bolts. I have used this technique on three vehicles now for tow hooks and one with rock sliders (or actually the equivalent) and it works like a champ. You will have to remove the tank to do the drilling, but for the strength it provides, it may be worth it.

It's just like welding on the ARB bumper with a Warn 9,000 lb winch attached. The Warn 9,000 is notorious for roasting thermal switches. To replace it, you will have to remove the winch. Removing the winch on a welded ARB although not impossible, sure would be incovenient. Something to think about.

warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 09:35 AM   #18
Philosopher
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by warmonger

There is a way around welding that I did with a Jeep I used to have. It requires removal of the fuel tank but guarantees solidity of the mount. Drill through both layers of frame and bolt it through both sides. With six grade 5 bolts going through two layers of frame, you won't break the bolts. I have used this technique on three vehicles now for tow hooks and one with rock sliders (or actually the equivalent) and it works like a champ. You will have to remove the tank to do the drilling, but for the strength it provides, it may be worth it.
You may not break the bolts but you sure as hell can bend the frame rails. Trust me, I've done it. You can drill through the whole frame but you'd better be installing some strong metal sleeves inside the frame for the bolts to go through so that the frame doesn't squish together.
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 01:46 PM   #19
wilburburns
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to wilburburns
You could always put a 1/4" steel plate on inside of the frame to brace it. This would/should eliminate the frame squishing/squeezing problems.

Also, a question for the welders among us. If the sliderz were welded on, couldn't the welds be ground off to remove them. With a little more welding and some cleanup work, I don't see why the frame could not be put back to original shape. At the very least, a potential buyer of the truck would have to look very hard to see where the sliderz were welded on.:frog:

wilburburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 05:15 PM   #20
warmonger
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to warmonger Send a message via Yahoo to warmonger
You may not necessarily have to even weld the plate on the inside. You could use a 1/4" steel plate on the outside of the frame rails to more evenly distribrute the force. Obviously the X frame rails are a lot weaker than Jeep frame rails. I've never had them bend on my Jeeps I've owned.

warmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2001, 07:29 PM   #21
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

Wink Pushing the X

Okay, here is my last statement on the subject. I am never planning to lift my X! My tires fit well under my X with out rubbing, so no suspension lift planned! I plan on a full set of skids from Skidrow so no gas tank problems. I don't plan on pushing my X as hard as some of you do! Damaging the slider which would damge the frame and possible other structures. I'll buy a Jeep if I want to trash something!!!

(Puts on asbestos jacket)

Old 08-22-2001, 08:02 PM   #22
Aquamander
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Aquamander Send a message via Yahoo to Aquamander
Talking Got mine installed!

I got my EOE sliderz today!!! I go them installed via the "Starr method"
I did it by myself and it only took about 45min to finish. I plan to weld them as soon as I'm convinced I won't need to remove them for some reason.

Here's a couple of pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg starrmethod.jpg (60.0 KB, 305 views)
Aquamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 08:21 PM   #23
Aquamander
AF Regular

Talking Another Pic

Can't wait to go wheelin' I know just the perfect riverbed to try these out in!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sliderz_closeup.jpg (65.6 KB, 300 views)
Old 08-22-2001, 08:25 PM   #24
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

Smile Credit!!!

Aqua!

Thanks for the credit! I didn't go with the big strip of grip tape though. I used three small pieces on each step. I'll post a pic tomorrow, if it stops raining!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2001, 08:57 PM   #25
ScottG
AF Enthusiast

If you just tack weld them in a couple of places, you can cut the welds with a die grinder in about 15 minutes if you ever need to take the sliders off. I agree with Philosopher, I don't think sandwiching the frame rails together is a good idea.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 09:19 PM   #26
Aussie
AF Regular

Well I have the EOE sliders and have had to take them off. I originally put on the grip tape but my wife complained that it was ripping up her legs. So I took the sliders off to remove the tape, repaint them and then put on some rino liner. There will come a day when you will want to repaint them and it is much easier with them off.

Richard.
Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 10:23 PM   #27
Whistler!
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to Whistler!
Cool Sliderz...

Hey Aquamander,

Those sliderz look great...I like the tape idea.

Later:smoka:
Whistler! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 11:08 PM   #28
Aquamander
AF Regular

Thanks guys!

Yeah Rick, I remembered you talking about installing the sliders that way. I did the same thing and I do believe that's about the best way to put them on.

Richard;
I was climbing out of the truck tonight, and I skinned the back of my leg. I think I'm going to peel the tape off of the side, that should do the trick.

Thanks Whistler, I think they are exactly what I myself needed in a slider. The tape is an added anti-slip measure. ( good for climbing up to the roof rack in the rain or dark etc.)

I'm happy!

the AQUA X is happy too!

Thanks EOE for a good product!
Old 08-23-2001, 06:19 AM   #29
FSRBIKER
AF Enthusiast

"Thanks EOE for a good product!"

Your very welcome, you might want to try keeping the tape on for a few days and just train your mind(and your wifes) to use the slider when exiting the truck. Wrapping the tape over the edge will keep the top of your sliders looking good a lot longer than just the powder coating alone as your foot is always sliding on the edge getting out, standing on the rack, etc. As far as the welding issue goes, a MAXC member just has the bottom edge welded which is a compromise. This would be easy enough to grind off but stiffens up the mounting a good amount.
FSRBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2001, 10:00 AM   #30
Synchro
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Synchro Send a message via Yahoo to Synchro
i have climbed all over mine in rain, sleet and snow. now then i was wearing shoes or boots that are "siped" for a lack of better term, and have never had any problems with grip on the top of the sliders. so it isn't necessary. reminds me of my skate punk days though.
Synchro is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail