Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-25-2001, 12:13 PM   #1
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

More sliderz

Old 11-25-2001, 01:06 PM   #2
OffroadX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to OffroadX
At first glance, nice, and excellent price. But, those bars between the two long pieces are just going to hang your ass up on a rock big-time when one finds its way between the "rungs" of the ladder it forms. I'll pass. Not that your rocker wouldn't pretty much be toast if they weren't there though. That would have to be a pretty bad line in the first place.

Brent
OffroadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 03:55 PM   #3
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

Interesting design

But I would fill that gap that Brent was taking about. Just lay a strip of 1/4" all the way down with drainholes at the bottom.
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 04:23 PM   #4
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

Am I the only one who can't see these things? The pictures come up as red X's and I can't access the website. This is the second time I've tried since Schlud posted this. Um, I want to see damnit!
Old 11-25-2001, 05:35 PM   #5
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Yes, covering the gaps with a plate of steel would be preferable. That would suck to get something hung up in there. These sliderz also seem to follow the "I only drop onto rocks" rule. Whereas most of the stuff I encounter seems to be offcamber slides into rocks, or where you have to pivot around the rock.

For that I still prefer the EOE's extension away from the body.
Old 11-25-2001, 05:37 PM   #6
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH
Um, I want to see damnit!
Maybe you should try my glasses!

Schludwiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 06:51 PM   #7
ToeJam
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to ToeJam
Very interesting design. It basically captures the benefits of both the EOE and Calmini designs. I agree with everyone's comments, that gap between the two rails isn't good. I read everyone's posts while I waited for Schlud's pics to download (56K baby!!) and I was thinking the design had a 1-2" gap between the rails, but that looks closer to 6-8". With a smaller gap, you could get a tip of a large rock up there that would ruin your day, but with the larger space, you could get a large portion of rock up in there and ruin your weekend. If the rock was narrow enough, you could still puncher the underside of your X (See the 3rd picture Schlud posted).

If you look at the designer's website, his original design had the outer rail angle out from the rig at both ends. He said this was so the rig pushed away from the rock as the tires approached. This seems pretty smart and a good design. I wonder why they didn't continue with that feature?
ToeJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 07:04 PM   #8
ned946
AF Enthusiast

Weight?
Maybe not an issue for most, but my X is becoming the behemoth.

One last idea (I know I've posted about this before) would be to place a hole with in the intersection of each side at the point of one of the cross braces (ie a hollow cavity throughout) before welding it together. Later, if wanted the bars could be drilled and tapped (easy to do) and act as reserve tanks for a on board air system.
ned946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 07:13 PM   #9
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

You guys are killing me! I want to know what everyone is talking about!
Old 11-25-2001, 07:35 PM   #10
ned946
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH
You guys are killing me! I want to know what everyone is talking about!
Just to torment Chuch a bit more.....

Schlud,
third picture from the top, do you have the truck jacked? (Hope so, otherwise you might want to crank that right torsion bar!!!)

I'm assuming you have jacked it up using a hi-lift to test it out. That was a concern I would have due to increased leverage.

Another idea I had was if one of the shops (Skid row, Calmini, EOE) would make a bolt on cross brace from one side of the frame to the other near a slider mount location. Some have commented that the Nissan frame can twist with enough force generated by jacking from the sliders. I was wondering if there was a way to reinforce the frame near a mounting location to prevent twisting?????
Old 11-25-2001, 08:40 PM   #11
Goliath the X
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Goliath the X Send a message via Yahoo to Goliath the X
Quote:
Originally posted by ned946
Another idea I had was if one of the shops (Skid row, Calmini, EOE) would make a bolt on cross brace from one side of the frame to the other near a slider mount location. Some have commented that the Nissan frame can twist with enough force generated by jacking from the sliders. I was wondering if there was a way to reinforce the frame near a mounting location to prevent twisting?????
I have highlifted off my EOE slider several time and havn't noticed any flex. I did manage to flex one side up about 3/16" into the verticle seam under the rocker but that was operatore error. I thought I was going to miss a log angled onto the trail so I didn't slow down. I popped way up and slamed down onto the slider. Slider did its job, if it wasn't there I wouldn't be opening my passenger side door anymore.

I didn't realized how often my sliders see use until I looked under them last night. They are scratched and gouged to all hell.
MAXC
Goliath the X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 09:17 PM   #12
ChuckH
AF Enthusiast

Old 11-25-2001, 09:29 PM   #13
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Quote:

Just to torment Chuch a bit more.....

Schlud,
third picture from the top, do you have the truck jacked? (Hope so, otherwise you might want to crank that right torsion bar!!!)

My truck is the Red one offroading.

BTW what were you smoking when you made this comment?

I do think that the ARB is very light and with regular off-road use will get very banged up (irreversibly so).
Old 11-25-2001, 10:12 PM   #14
ned946
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller

BTW what were you smoking when you made this comment?

I do think that the ARB is very light and with regular off-road use will get very banged up (irreversibly so).
I was smokin' the joint of personal experience!
I do think that over the same trails, if you were to compare the Calmini to the ARB after a good year of serious off-roadin', you'll see a difference. Due to the crappy approach angle of any Xterra, hits are going to be unavoidable........I guess time will tell!
Old 11-26-2001, 12:23 AM   #15
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Quote:

I was smokin' the joint of personal experience!
I do think that over the same trails, if you were to compare the Calmini to the ARB after a good year of serious off-roadin', you'll see a difference. Due to the crappy approach angle of any Xterra, hits are going to be unavoidable........I guess time will tell!
I saw in your other post that you were mentioning the L-brackets looking like J's. Yeah, I missed that part of abuse when thinking of the ARB I guess because I expect that part to be dinged up, and I don't usually see it that often.

The rest of my ARB has held up quite nicely despite some good tree/stump impacts, so I was thinking it pretty tough despite all the abuse it's seen.

I agree the lower triangle part is pretty thin (mostly cosmetic, the structural part is still in good shape). Thanks for passing the pipe back.