Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 03:19 PM   #1
sgantt11
AF Newbie

1997 ram 1500 injectors flooding

My fuel pump quit in my ram 1500 p/u. I replaced the pump and now the truck won't start and run because it is getting far too much fuel forced thru the injectors--I can disconnect the fuel line at the injector rail and route the fuel into a fuel can and the truck starts and runs fine for about 30 secs or until it runs out of avaible gas.
HELP!!
sgantt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 11:37 PM   #2
meistermind
AF Newbie

Interesting.......

Sounds interesting.....

Your ECM would control the Injectors. Could trying pulling power for a couple minutes to try resetting the computer (ECM). Maybe it got a glitch while replacing the fuel pump.

You could get a cheap noid light test kit to see if your injectors are pulsing properly. You would remove the connector from the back of the fuel injector and plug it into the noid light, then crank the engine and see if flashes steadily on and off. I believe Dodge uses Bosch injectors. The kits come with instructions.

Here's a test kit:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92667
meistermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:28 PM   #3
sgantt11
AF Newbie

Re: Interesting.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by meistermind
Sounds interesting.....

Your ECM would control the Injectors. Could trying pulling power for a couple minutes to try resetting the computer (ECM). Maybe it got a glitch while replacing the fuel pump.

You could get a cheap noid light test kit to see if your injectors are pulsing properly. You would remove the connector from the back of the fuel injector and plug it into the noid light, then crank the engine and see if flashes steadily on and off. I believe Dodge uses Bosch injectors. The kits come with instructions.

Here's a test kit:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92667
Thanks for the suggestion, I got the kit from a local advance auto and the injectors all are working o.k.--I replaced both of the o2 sensors and still no change--I'm thinking about sticking a $10 bil under one of the wipers and dragging it to the curb to see if the trash crew will haul it off.

Have hooked two different diagnostic scanners(one from dodge service center) and another from advance auto and both report no codes!

Any suggestions are welcome--My closest Dodge dealer is 56 miles away so taking it to them is not really an option.
sgantt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:58 PM   #4
1thunder
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1997 ram 1500 injectors flooding

have you tried to disconnect the 3 connectors at the pcm for about 15 minutes this will reset all the adaptive memories and make sure you charge the battery also to keep the pcm running where it wants to be when your pump failed the pcm may have tried to add extra fuel to compensate for the lower fuel pressure it does this with the adaptive memory then after you replaced the pump the adaptive memory is still locked at +33% fuel compensation but doesn't need it now but the pcm doesn.t update the long term fuel cell until the engine warms up so not 100% sure but this may be the only problem with your truck and to reset it the best way is with a chrysler drb111 or disconnect the pcm but make sure the key is always off when diconnecting or disconected or reconecting and make sure the battery is fully charged also
1thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:30 AM   #5
getitmyway1st
AF Newbie

ive changed the fuel pump, take out 02 sensors truck still dies at times then at times it runs great, if i put more than 15.00 worth of gas in it the truck starts cutting out ,dieing, and black smoke from tail pipe, what could it be now?
getitmyway1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:46 AM   #6
edbrycem
AF Regular

you took out or replaced the o2 sensors?
edbrycem is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Ram Pickup | Ram SRT10