Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-14-2021, 10:28 PM   #31
Jeffrv
AF Regular

Re: Spun Rod bearing 3.8

Well, so far no luck in sourcing a replacement used engine yet, I may just rebuild my existing engine. From what I have read, 1995 was a strange year for the GM 3800, with both series I and II produced simultaneously, and I read an article where the 95 model year used some Series II internals in the series I.
In any event, I am in the process of removing the engine/transaxle assembly, and have a few questions to pose to those who may done this before:
-can the engine be removed with the exhaust manifolds in place. It will a lot easier to address them when out and mounted on an engine stand
- is it feasible to just remove the A/C compressor from the engine and wire it in place to the body rather than disconnecting the plumbing? I was planning on removing the rad to prevent damage, can the compressor be tucked somewhere out of the way? Sure don't want to open up the A/C if it can be avoided
-the rear seal shows a special tool to install it. Is there another way to do that without this special tool? I know some used tools are on Ebay, and if I need to get one, fine, but again shipping is more than the tool, plus it would only be used once.
-part suppliers list 2 different size main bearing cap bolts, one 1/2 inch, another 7/16 inch. Again are these the difference between the 2 series of engines?
Thanks
Jeff
Jeffrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:41 PM   #32
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

Jeff, sent you a PM..
as to some of your questions;
-yes, engine can come out w/manifolds; although easier if you at least pop front one first.. and since engine is coming out; drain and pull radiator first; and take a marker and mark hood hinge mounts, and pull hood too..
-yes, pull AirCon bolts and brackets, and the hose brackets, and you can drape; or ziptie, that compressor somewhere out of way w/o evacuating r12, 22freeze, or 134..
- on the specialty tool, sometimes can be done w/o; sometimes autozone (and others in america) will have and "loan" tools for complete cost, and then refund entire amount (so free rental).. also, sometimes mom/pop shop may rent tool; or sometimes SnapOn and other tool trucks will have private label (SnapOn sells Blue Point tools) for way less; or used tools from other people who have sold/traded-in for less than 1/2 price..
- on main bearing bolts, i do not have an answer for that tonight..
ctesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:35 PM   #33
Jeffrv
AF Regular

Update for now:
Engine/transaxle now out, gave it a powerwash, now beginning the teardown. I had to remove the a/c compressor, couldnt move it out of the way without putting a lot of strain on the pipes going to the condensor, dont need to break that.
Left the exhaust manifolds on, as well as upper intake. Did pull the power steering pump out, but think will bolt it onto engine before reinstalling if I get that far. Lot easier to do all these things out of the van.
Are the engine to tranaxle bolt metric or SAE? Miss working on GM diesel locomotives, not a metric bolt to be seen, at least you knew what tools you needed.
As far as balance shaft, I am hoping to find no play in the bearings when I get tio that part. Full rebuild kits are out there, but again the shipping part to Canada might rear its ugly head. I also beleive I read somewhere the factory install might have used needle bearings, replacement use just plain bearings like the camshaft. Also the removal/installation process a pain, so might be best to let that sleeping dog lie
Jeff
Old 05-13-2021, 11:06 PM   #34
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

glad to hear you've managed it out..
did you have to assemble/fabricate your own engine cradle/engine hoist/puller, as you had mentioned to get that motor out of the bay??
yea, train paks; just like tanks' paks, just SAE.. like your old 60s pick-up trucks; a screwdriver, and like three wrenchs--maybe a hammer..
i think those bolts are 15mm; if referring to eng to trans bellhousing?
Old 05-13-2021, 11:08 PM   #35
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

they might be 12mm though..
Old 05-14-2021, 05:17 AM   #36
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

GM has been metric since late 70's. They were actually a mix for a while but they phased out SAE around then.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:14 AM   #37
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Mostly metric in body, chassis, and external engine accessories. Many engine fasteners remained imperial well beyond that for "archive" engine designs, like the Buick V-6 and Chevrolet SBCs well into the 2000's. There are a lot of 7/16-14 bolts in a Vortec engine with six or eight cylinders up through 2013. That makes it handy to have lots of a wide variety of tools.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:24 AM   #38
Jeffrv
AF Regular

I think I found them to be a mixture of both metric and SAE on this engine..a bolt is a bolt, but just a royal PITA to keep going back and forth to the tool box to get the right size wrench/socket.
I did make a dolly for the engine cradle out of 2X3 wood for the fore/aft cradle frame, fasten to 2X6 boards running left to right. I mounted 4 heavy duty hard rubber castors on it to move it around. I was concerned at first that the whole assembly might need some sort of brackets to keep the engine from slipping off it, but I found once the weight was lowered onto this cradle, it wasnt going anywhere. It was tall enough that I could put a floor jack under it to raise it up to the cradle to undo the 4 corner bolts then lower all to the ground.
Took several attempts at rigging a chain to the frame to raise the frront end of the van high enough without damaging anything. Used an engine hoist to lift the van then wheeled everything out the side.
Was curious about the engine/bellhousing bolts only because I will need to get longer bolts to fasten engine to engine stand. Have a decent selection of SAE bolts kicking around the garage, but not many metric. Will pull one off then off to hardware store I guess.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:28 AM   #39
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

1495 Seymour St #2, North Bay, ON P1B 8G4, Canada
Fastenal Canada...
you might have to buy a full bag of 50; but they'll have your
thread as an elongated bolt/stud, AND it might even be shouldered
(won't have to buy washers!haha)
Old 05-14-2021, 09:25 PM   #40
Jeffrv
AF Regular

Thank you tceslas, didnt try there, didnt need a pile of bolts for just one use, plus road there deep in 3rd year of construction of an 18 month project.. the Canadian saying 2 seasons, winter and construction. Went to several places, nobody had one long enough to fit, so got a metric redi rod and a handful of bolts to install it on engine stand, hopefully by end of week.
Jeff
Old 05-15-2021, 08:49 AM   #41
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

that'll work.. cut and make your own length stud.. down here though; most of our hardware stores only carry like 3 sizes of all thread (redi rod), and they are all SAE..
glad to hear you're still carry-ing on..
... i think i would've been, "that's it! Pontiac GTP ECM, HUD, and hi pressure fuel pump; we're supercharging this Oldsmobile Silhouette DustBuster!"
Old 05-22-2021, 10:10 PM   #42
Jeffrv
AF Regular

Ok engine now apart except heads, leaving that for machine shop. Balance shaft is indeed roller bearings at one end, looks like needle bearings, so just going to clean and oil them, not change anything.
Pistons have luittle wear on the, so unless tyhe cylinders have to be bored out, plan on reusing them. Anything I should know about regarding cleaning or inspecting them?
Main bearings showed a bit more wear than I expected, #4 showing copper, and crank journal has some minor grooves in it. Will see if it can be polished out or if it too will have to be ground. Also #4 main bearuing cap has a slot machined into the sides of it, and it looks like RTV was used to fill it as well as a slight bead between cap and block. GM manual briefly mentions a wedge type seal that goes in the slot, but nothing about any sealer than goes with it.
Trying to remove oil gallery plugs in block to clean everything. I see 2 welch plugs at the front near the camshaft, and 2 pipe plugs at the back in about the same area. I presume these are the main fore/aft oil galleries any tips on getting the small welch plugs out? There is also another pipe plug on side of block around area of oil filter bracket, is that part of the oil system? On reinstallation, are these plugs staked with a punch?.
Was on the fence hoping to be able to reuse camshaft, had a bit of wear on it, till the very last lobe, which had significant spalling on the lobe tip. Guess going to change it all out.
There is a bit of deposits on the pistons, primarily on the top. I read somewhere there is a coating on the pistons, which can be easily removed during cleaning. Would giving them a soak in varsol followed by a brief rub with a Scotch Brite pad be OK? Or just leave well enough alone?
Sorry for the many questions, thank you for all those who share their expeience on these engines.
Jeff
Old 05-23-2021, 01:37 PM   #43
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

hey Jeff,
sent another message; but as far as cam, i'd put a new heart in if i could..
should be $120-150 cam and lifter kit.. could even (for same price) get an RV grind
make the hills under load more tolerable, and pick up some mpg too..
your OEM GM# 24503401 is cam,
i think int/exh was .250/.255
i lean to Isky or Crane; but GM and Comp Cams are both very affordable, and still
great for the price..
hope this helps..
Old 06-02-2021, 07:44 PM   #44
Jeffrv
AF Regular

Well, not the best of news so far from machine shop. Significant wear on the crank, to the point they cant grind it down. Looking to see if any of the machine shops they are affiliated with have a decent used one kicking around, or have to have this one built up and ground to spec. Has anyone gone that route, any comments?
There are several GM parts sites that list a brand new crank, figure would be about $150 or so over the above procedure. Again not sure if they would ship to canada, hope they might go thru the GM parts network and I could pick it up at local dealer.
Still haven't got measurement on cylinders, anticipating a rebore tho
Jeff
Old 06-02-2021, 10:06 PM   #45
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

Jeff,
sorry to hear that the crank is not salvageable..
NPW (miami based national parts warehouse) in DEC.2020 purchased
and merged with Denver's based EPW (Engine Performance Warehouse);
AND they have a facility right near you:
NPW Toronto
Location 8
8 Chisholm Ct
Ajax, Ontario L1S 4N8
Phone: (905) 619-6662
Fax: (905) 619-6559

this would be my first call (or have your machine shop call, as they might get better,
dealer or jobber pricing), as here in colorado, EPW would sell a whole engine rebuild master kit WITH crank and matched bearings and gaskets; or you could just order a crank kit with bearings to start, and go from there..
but usually an entire engine kit gets better pricing; instead of piece-mealing..
i hope they can help; since local, they probably will have no tariff or less taxation; OR, at least, be able to source it from one of their corporate/sister facilities, and bring it into canada with free shipping; or limited price hikes..
hope this helps..
if not, might start shopping for a 3.8, or other GM block that would be compatible with your heads, intake, exhaust, and OBD-I ECU..
wish you luck..

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport