Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 323/Protegé/Familia/Etude/Allegro
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #1
rhino1616
AF Newbie

Please give opinion, should i change timing belt myself?

Good day,

I have to change my timing belt and water pump on my 2002 2L Protege5, the dealership (I know they’re expensive) wants $1000 for the job. I’ve done some work on my car myself and am wondering if I have the skill for this job or its to advanced for me ( I don’t have a lift, just the regular jacks,+ i have air tools).

To give you an idea of my skill level here’s some of the things ive done on my car myself: change brake pads, replace seized calipers, install new hub bearing, replace shocks, replace radiator, replace serpentine belts, replace head gasket, replace O2 sensor

I never done this before and im a little wary. I have an idea of the procedure and there are manuals and youtube videos to help. Has anyone changed these themselves and do you think am i biting off more than I can chew? Please give your opinion

Thank you
rhino1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
watz528
AF Newbie

Re: Please give opinion, should i change timing belt myself?

I had mine done at a N*PA certified shop and they charged me about 800 for the timing belt and water pump and it came with a 1 year warranty on the work. you can take to any N*PA shop in the country, as long you have the receipt. Unless you have a covered place to work on it with more than enough tools it's worth just paying to get it done.
watz528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: Please give opinion, should i change timing belt myself?

Go on youtube. search for this guy. djdevon3 has a bunch of videos for the 626. But L4 motor is pretty common. Did mine. Do the valve cover gasket at the same time. Cover has to come off anyway.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 323/Protegé/Familia/Etude/Allegro