Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 04:59 AM   #1
Adamski
AF Newbie

Unhappy Hole in the trunk floor

Having owned my 323 for a few days and checking out the spare tyre I find there is a hole on the boot floor under the spare. Right at the forward edge under the tyre, is a round, evenly cut hole about an inch wide. It looks like it should have a rubber grommet or something filling it, but it's clear air through to the road. Underneath the car I can see a ripped-out section of again about an inch in size hanging under the hole.
So, two things (immediately) bug me about this:

1) What was in the hole and is now missing - e.g. is it a utility hole for child seat, or towbar. Is it likely to be a danger to structural integrity you wonder - it doesn't look like it. The top hole is neat and unstressed looking. It's just the bottom has been ripped away as a hole in the car's underbody which seems to be made of a carbon-fibre like substance.

2) Should there be a hole there letting in road water etc. Methinks not.

So I probably need some rubber to plug it ... speaking of rubber, I also note that some of the rubber or rubber-like fittings in the boot - an area under the spare tyre, and an area which the boot-carpet piece lays on behind the seat - are deteriorating. Sort of like sticky spots, some of which look to be disintegrating. As if the battery fumes were doing some damage?

Well, any thoughts you might have on this welcomed
Adamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 04:02 PM   #2
323imankiks
AF Regular

ahh there should be a rubber plug there get one from dealership. Not sure why the holes are there maybe to have places to clean out body panels sand and dirt out i think most cars do have these holes with plugs. while you are replaceing that one check and replace all other plugs that are in bad shape.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:38 AM   #3
Adamski
AF Newbie

Aye, I did find a plug dangling below embedded in the lining. Looks like it was knocked out to release some water - the source of which still concerns me. I found some water in the rear as I was buying the car and dealer claimed they had spilled some water refilling battery. After a couple of good rainstorms and no more trunk flooding I thought it was sorted, but after I washed me bimmer yesterday I found a few more (dozen) drops had pentrated somewhere and appeared on the area where I first saw water!

Maybe its just a case of don't wash that area too firmly.
Adamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 01:35 PM   #4
323imankiks
AF Regular

well sometimes it may be a trunks gasket or rear tailights gasket may be faulty normally cars should not leak any water inside. Or if it has been in an accident and body panels were replaced possible the body panels were not welded correctly

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series