Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
so2315
AF Newbie

HOW TO: troubleshoot parking assist!

Just an update for anybody troubleshooting the park assist:

Last year I had the light come on my park assist button meaning there was a fault detected. I purchased a new sensor, took the rear bumper cover off, and replaced the sensor on the right and plugged it back in and checked to see if the light went off. If not I swapped them back and moved on to the next sensor until the light went away.

Having researched this, it appears that one can determine which sensor is bad by applying the parking brake, turning the key on (don't start!), and placing your ear by each sensor. You should hear a sound similar to a spark plug firing.
If you hear nothing at all, from any of the sensors, you park assist module is bad. If you hear sound from all of the sensors, your speaker is bad. The reasoning is this: If you hear noise from all the sensors, obviously they work. And you can deduce that the module which is the brains of the sensors is also working.

So, in my case the speaker was bad. I have a friend who has a repair shop and his Snap-On scanner was able to scan the rear sensors and tell me the code. The speaker is located on the passengers side, up in the headliner by the lift gate. It is in a large plastic case and held in place by one bolt.
I used a simple light bulb with 2 wires to test the circuit once the speaker was removed. The light on my dash went out, and the light bulb flashed instead of the beeping the speaker put out. I knew I had found my problem!

I then began my quest to find another speaker.I called the dealer for the speaker, and was quoted $35. Only problem is they are on national back order, with no date set. I went to a junkyard and bought one for $15. Plugged the new speaker in and all is well.

I hope my work can help anyone trying to fix the park assist. It has 3 components.
1.) Sensors
2.) Module
3.) Speaker

I found it hard to believe that my speaker went out and threw the system into a fault mode, but I found out the hard way after tearing the bumper off, pulling each sensor out and so on that you can trouble shoot it with your ears and a simple light bulb.

Last edited by wiswind; 08-28-2011 at 07:03 PM.
so2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #2
sade
AF Newbie

Re: HOW TO: troubleshoot parking assist!

Thanks I will try to find my problem in a Windstar 03

I appreciate your help
sade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
so2315
AF Newbie

In re-reading my post, I noticed an omission.
When you are checking the sensors, put the parking brake on, turn the key on but do not start. PLACE THE SHIFTER IN REVERSE (forgot this part).
Then you can hear the noise from each sensor.
so2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:48 PM   #4
Wayne10657
AF Newbie

Good afternoon. Can you tell me where the speaker was located? I have a 2001 Windstar.

Thank you.
Wayne10657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:27 PM   #5
aris_sy
AF Newbie

Anyone here knows where can I find the parking aid speaker for ford windstar 2003? Thank you.
aris_sy is offline   Reply With Quote