Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:36 PM   #1
militarymonark
AF Newbie

car sitting for along time

so Im going to be starting this car that has been sitting for quite a long time a 53 imperial its all there and nothing has been altered on it but dust so whats the best way to get it started what should I do....
militarymonark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: car sitting for along time

Welcome to AF. Make sure the engine turns over, then pull the plugs and soak the cylinders with Marvel Mystery oil overnight, spin the engine to purge the fluid. Change the oil and filter and start it, this assumes fresh gas in the tank, and fresh gas in the carb. Then all the fluids should be changed and the entire brake system checked as well. the car must be gone over from the ground up in this case. BTW I have a fully restored 55 New Yorker.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
militarymonark
AF Newbie

Im in need of a 6 volt battery so I have to find one that works i might have to buy one
Old 03-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
militarymonark
AF Newbie

i've actually been a member of the site for quite a while I just can't remember my password and the email associated with the account
Old 03-21-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
buddieboy
AF Newbie

if the motor is stuck with rust if adding marvel oil to the cyliders dosnt unstick it then it may be nessesary to remove the head/s and possibly the whole engine has to be disembled with penertrants like pb blaster or even useing a mixture of gumout and old oil to soak the piston cylinders also if enough rust has formed it will have to be removed i have used plumbers clouth (emery clouth) i have used sandpaper being careful of what grit i used at what levil ie 320 is as course as is recomended if you are close to finish enough to scrach good metal i, only mentioning this because someone will read this and need my suggestions when a motor is really rusted to disemble it will need to take the oil pan off and after removing the rust above the cylinder it wil be stuck some times ok try to start by taking any unstuck pistons out by useing a block of oak wood after removeing the rod caps drive them up and out of the cylinder by hiting the wood that is in contact with the bottom of the piston boss dont hit the skirt you will break it unless you are going to get new ones(pistons) when thar are no more loose pistons left then try to remove the remaining ones put lot of oil on the cylinders and use rust penetrants if you can not remove a piston upwards but can knock it down some do so then remove the rust from the sides exposed by the downward knocking a like i said a couple peices of oak wood cut small enough to peck into the cylinders causeing the piston to shift places use patience" and be careful of flamible liquids let the motor soak for a day or longer with some penetrant tap the pistons a little to make the liquid loosen and get into the rust on the sides if its thar(sides ) if the sides arent rusted your lucky because it is possible on certain rust instances that you will have to break the piston to get it out i havnt seen it done but i guess a torch could be used to heat a badly stuck piston ?if you have a 4 cylinder take the crankshaft out as soon as you can to prevent nicks from hamering
buddieboy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars