Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 12:37 PM   #1
grasshopper
AF Newbie

IDIOT needs help installing first autometer gauge, hurry b4 i electrocute myself

ok, these autometer instructions that came with my gauges are all the same, and they SUCK...MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: Install 2-5/8" Electrical Water temperature gauge into a 1990 mustang. I've looked thru all these instructions and it seems i need some 18gauge twin conductor wiring? my other confusion involves how i'm instructed to wire the wire from the GND (ground) terminal on back of gauge to a good engine ground near sender...okay...where's the engine ground and where does the sender go in the first place? THEN there's the wire from the back of the gauge thats supposed to go to the ignition switch, WHERE IS THAT? AAAAND I have to take one wire from the light (pos or neg?) to either the dash lighting or other 12V source (like what, and what dash lighting, i hear i cant stick it in the ciggy lighter cuase it'll always be on) I'm so lost its funny( not to me, sad rather) any help would..well, help.
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 01:18 PM   #2
ivymike1031
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ivymike1031 Send a message via Yahoo to ivymike1031
what state are you in?
Old 11-24-2002, 08:28 PM   #3
grasshopper
AF Newbie

i'm in the carolina's, mainly south but north from time to time...or did you mean state as in state of insanity! cuz yeah, thats where i am
Old 11-24-2002, 10:15 PM   #4
ivymike1031
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ivymike1031 Send a message via Yahoo to ivymike1031
I figured that maybe if someone in your area was bored, he could give you a hand. Sounds like you need it.

18gauge twin conductor wiring?
think "speaker wire." Preferably something so that you can tell which conductor is which (striped insulator, etc)

where's the engine ground
any convenient piece of exposed metal on the engine (preferably a small bolt)

where does the sender go in the first place?

Somewhere on the block or head, there is probably a threaded hole with a sending unit already in it. One end of the s/u is submerged in coolant, and the other end is exposed to the air...

ignition switch, WHERE IS THAT? um, it's the thing your key goes in. I think what you're looking for, though, is an open plug on the fuse box that becomes "live" when the ign sw is turned on. Use a test light or wiring diagram to find one.

one wire from the light (pos or neg?) to either the dash lighting or other 12V source it'll almost certainly be +.

what dash lighting the little lights that let you see the speedo at night, for example. Another wire that you can find using a wiring diagram or (with some effort) a test light.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:54 AM   #5
grasshopper
AF Newbie

thanks again for the patience, i'll let you know if i live thru it or not, right now i'm waiting on the exhaust housing to be fitted with studs...