Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 08:44 AM   #1
kidcrook
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to kidcrook
My Car won't start...

I went to start my car yesterday and it would not happen. I smelled a little smoke and it clicks when I turn the key. There is plenty of power from the battery b/c the lights work, radio, etc. I am 200 miles from home and don't know anyone in this area who could fix it. What can I do????
kidcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 10:20 AM   #2
kidcrook
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to kidcrook
Could someone please help me? I need to get home by tonight and there seems to be no hope in sight for a service center on a Sunday. Does anyone have a suggestion of what the problem could possibly be? This means a whole lot to me and any type of help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
kidcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 12:59 PM   #3
grasshopper
AF Newbie

i'm the last person to ask but i'm sure most on this forum would say that click could be related to your starter solenoid, i'd check connections there to make sure thats the culprit or not. it may be bad or you just need to clean up rust and corrosion off the connections.
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 01:07 PM   #4
grasshopper
AF Newbie

forgot to mention...what smoke are you smelling...anyways, also.. it could be the starter motor thats bad as well, if you hear a LOUD click, or nothing at all. be darn sure your lites and radio ect. are fine and nothing dims significantly. if it is your startermotor try shaking/ tapping it to get it off the "bad spot" make sure the ignition is off, if its standard tranny, try putting it in gear and "rock" the car back and forth a few inches to move the starter motor off its "bad spot" but be advised it wont work all the time, so if you do get it running using this method, better not turn that bad boy off.
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 02:57 PM   #5
Deakins
AF Enthusiast

Guess that AAA+ membership doesn't seem all that expensive now