Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-02-2001, 09:04 PM   #16
ultimatedriver7
AF Newbie

sorry...

for the confusion guys. I didn't really take into consideration that this forum serves all countries. Yes I believe it is an available option in other countries but never will be offered on the 3 series in the US. However, I have heard it will become an option on the next generation (E60) 540i six speed. Also, you should predict it on the list of options with the new X5 4.6s and on the next generation Z3 line. Due to the sporting nature of the 6 series in years past, its also a possibility for that line.

Damn, life's a trade off...

UltimateDriver7
'01 330Ci
soon to be '02 M3
ultimatedriver7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 12:53 AM   #17
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Re: 3 Sedan new sport body kit?

Quote:
Originally posted by ultimatedriver7
Hey ya'll:

As a sidenote, the SMG will never be offered in the standard 3 series for marketing reasons (If you want it you have to cough up the dough for an M3)

Thanks
Of course BMW is not offering SMG2 (Sequential M Gearbox II) to 3 Series. It's offering what's call a SSG (Sequential Sports Gearbox) to regular 3 Series.
F20C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 08:01 PM   #18
Bel7ail
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Bel7ail Send a message via Yahoo to Bel7ail
Do you have a picture of how the SSG is??
Bel7ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 05:10 PM   #19
F20C
AF Enthusiast

SSG is like SMG2 where it's pedal shifter located right behind the steering wheel. The only difference is it's performance is not as extreme as SMG2.
Old 11-04-2001, 05:28 PM   #20
F20C
AF Enthusiast

See the red mark behind the steering wheel? That's the pedal shifter.
Old 11-04-2001, 10:37 PM   #21
jinushaun
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jinushaun
Here's some other images

This is from the UK 2002 3 series. (Copyright (c) 2001 BMW Car Magazine).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smg1.jpg (13.0 KB, 576 views)

Jinushaun: Nation Leprechaun
jinushaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 10:40 PM   #22
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

where's the leather?!?

that bmw is all cloth :apuke:
lol, what is that? looks modded
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
gang$tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 02:41 AM   #23
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by gang$tarr
where's the leather?!?

that bmw is all cloth :apuke:
lol, what is that? looks modded
That's CSL.
Old 11-08-2001, 11:32 AM   #24
jinushaun
AF Enthusiast

I saw the new 2002 3 series in real life recently, and I must admit, it isn't that bad (see previous post). But if I had to choose, I'd still take the old style because it looks sportier and more agressive.

In the November issue of CAR, it seems I'm not the only one who thinks BMW is heading in the wrong direction, design-wise. Damn that head designer, Chris Bangle! BMW's future designs are just horrible if the new 7 series, Z9 and X coupe are any indication.

Old 11-08-2001, 11:54 AM   #25
ultimatedriver7
AF Newbie

The new 3 doesn't look bad when you have the sport package...In fact I think i like it more than the design of my 2001 330 coupe. The front is very clean looking and has a very defined sportiness without being gaudy. As far as making it sporty without being M3-sporty, I think BMW was on the right track. BUT on the 3 series without the sport backage I think the front end is weak to say the least.
Old 11-08-2001, 03:00 PM   #26
jinushaun
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by ultimatedriver7
The new 3 doesn't look bad when you have the sport package...In fact I think i like it more than the design of my 2001 330 coupe. The front is very clean looking and has a very defined sportiness without being gaudy. As far as making it sporty without being M3-sporty, I think BMW was on the right track. BUT on the 3 series without the sport backage I think the front end is weak to say the least.
I must not be familiar with the sports package... how does the sports package make the front better?!?

Old 11-09-2001, 05:11 PM   #27
ultimatedriver7
AF Newbie

2002 Sport package

Jinushaun:

The sport package on 2002 3 series consists of the following:

1) M-wheels and tires (same as last year, 17 inchers)
2) firmer suspension settings
3) different side moldings ( look closely, the ones on the sport package equipped cars have a taper that goes toward the rear of the car whereas non sport package cars have moldings that taper in the center only)
4) different front bumper that reminds me of the way the M5 looks in the front (there are two seperate black trim pieces as opposed to one, there is a more aggressive appearance up front, different aux lights, etc.) looks good!
5) different rear bumper (ditto above)
6) M steering wheel (same as last year)
7) sports seats

heres a link where you can see a lot of the changes:
http://www.bmwstore.com/new_vehicles...cles/11065.jpg

ultimatedriver7
'01 330Ci step prem sport xenon rearshade cdchanger nav system cold clim pkg (all options besides rear backup)
soon to be '02 M3 loaded w/ SMG II everything except metallic paint and rear backup
Old 11-09-2001, 09:17 PM   #28
oscar
AF Newbie

Ultimate driver: man, you are absolutely right about the front bumper on the sport package as opposed to the non-sport. It looks 100% better. But how do you know that the photo you linked is in fact the appearance of the 02 3 series sedan sport, for US market? I hope that it is because that is the vehicle that I have on order! Thanks.
oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 09:42 PM   #29
jinushaun
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by oscar
Ultimate driver: man, you are absolutely right about the front bumper on the sport package as opposed to the non-sport. It looks 100% better.
I must concur, the front does look better. Do you have a link with an image of the modified boot?

Quote:
But how do you know that the photo you linked is in fact the appearance of the 02 3 series sedan sport, for US market? I hope that it is because that is the vehicle that I have on order! Thanks.
If you go to the root directory, you'll see it's the site for a Cincinnati, Ohio BMW dealer. The page that has that image is: http://www.bmwstore.com/new_vehicles...phtml?uid=1127

It's a silver automatic 2002 330i with sport package, premium package, heated seats, and bi-xenon light. It's an actual car on their lot.

Old 11-09-2001, 09:48 PM   #30
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Ultimate driver: man, you are absolutely right about the front bumper on the sport package as opposed to the non-sport. It looks 100% better. But how do you know that the photo you linked is in fact the appearance of the 02 3 series sedan sport, for US market? I hope that it is because that is the vehicle that I have on order! Thanks.
You can tell because of couple things. The headlight lines is now oval shaped instead of circle shaped. The foglamp is intergrated into the bumper.