Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 03:09 AM   #16
BugZilla
Authorized Vendor

Re: Hayabusa X-1 In Progress - First Moto Kit

Outstanding work Adam. Definitely have this on my keep track of list.

Dave
Old 06-18-2006, 01:39 AM   #17
ajthomas75
AF Newbie

Hi guys,
Bit of an update today. Got to do a bit of work over the weekend. Got alot done but doesn't really look like alot as it was mostly detail work which can be time consuming for little result but is worth it. Not all these pieces are finished and still need some touch up.

Put together the Lionroar PE chain. Took some time and patience to put at those bolts on but I found that using a wooden skewer with a small amount of blu-tac on the end of it made for a great "PE grabber"

Painted PE disc brakes with Alclad II metals. Colurs from outside in are - Dark Aluminium, Duraluminum and Pale Burnt Metal for the Front Discs and Chrome for the Back Disc. All the rivets were picked out with Silver Foil Craft Paint.

Discs attached to wheels.

Various detail parts painted and almost ready for attaching to frame.

Front folks almost completed. Top of folks painted Chrome, bottom painted White Aluminium. Picked out bolts and lettering on caliper with Silver Foil. I'm not really happy with the colour of the brake line connections and will be changing those. More detailing needed, including Bare Metal Foil to be added.
More to follow soon.
Adam.
ajthomas75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 02:18 AM   #18
BugZilla
Authorized Vendor

Paintwork is excellent. I knew I wouldn't be dissapointed

Dave
Old 06-19-2006, 01:47 AM   #19
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

Exemplary work!

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:13 AM   #20
sportracer02
AF Enthusiast

F A N T A S T I C !!!
Old 06-19-2006, 10:46 AM   #21
D_LaMz
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to D_LaMz

wow like the PE details!

D_LaMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:42 PM   #22
SkylineFan
AF Enthusiast

Excellent work!!!!!

May I give some advice... when you add the chrome stickers to the front fork piston, wrap it and put a touch of glue on the end, otherwise it will eventually start unraveling... i had to fix mine after about 2 weeks....
Also your exhaust work is beautiful, but bear in mind the back of that radiator fits real close to the headers.... so the srpings MIGHT be a problem...

DaveT
SkylineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:40 PM   #23
ajthomas75
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFan
Excellent work!!!!!

May I give some advice... when you add the chrome stickers to the front fork piston, wrap it and put a touch of glue on the end, otherwise it will eventually start unraveling... i had to fix mine after about 2 weeks....
Also your exhaust work is beautiful, but bear in mind the back of that radiator fits real close to the headers.... so the srpings MIGHT be a problem...

DaveT
Thanks alot Dave, I had thought about glue the front fork sticker as I had heard of people having trouble with it peeling off so I was going to put a bead of superglue on the inside end.

I had also thought about the springs not fitting, so I checked for fit before I put them on...... you'll notice that the top springs on the two inside pipes are slightly on the sides of the pipes to allow of fit..... I nearly didn't think of it until the last minute before I glued them on... lucky.

Adam
Old 06-23-2006, 08:28 PM   #24
SkylineFan
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajthomas75
Thanks alot Dave, I had thought about glue the front fork sticker as I had heard of people having trouble with it peeling off so I was going to put a bead of superglue on the inside end.

I had also thought about the springs not fitting, so I checked for fit before I put them on...... you'll notice that the top springs on the two inside pipes are slightly on the sides of the pipes to allow of fit..... I nearly didn't think of it until the last minute before I glued them on... lucky.

Adam

Well then continue on with this masterpiece!!!
SkylineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 02:08 AM   #25
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Great work! Those calipers are looking really good. Are those the standard fittings from the kit? Are you using the PE discs alone or have you mounted them on top of the kit ones? Using just the PE discs usually makes them look way to thin when seen from the front.
Best regards
Joel - warming up for Assen GP
Old 06-24-2006, 10:34 AM   #26
mickbench
AF Fanatic

Yep,

Thats looking very nice indeed... I'm waiting for the Crazy Modeler CM set for this bike, as CM produce nice P/E sets.

Normally with front bike discs, I agree P/E is just too thin, but CM give you two or three P/E parts you stick on top of each other to build the thickness up... Perhaps LionRoar has done the same??

Anyhow, this should look sweet once all assembled.
mickbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:21 PM   #27
ajthomas75
AF Newbie

Thanks guys,

The calipers are just the standard kit ones. With the PE discs, I've just used the PE discs alone as the Lionroar set is made of quite thick brass, probably around 3 times thicker than the Crazy Modeler PE sets I've got so once all the parts of the discs are assembled they look quite in scale.

I agree that the crazy modeler PE sets are definitely the best. I've got the Yamaha M1 set and the Ducati set and they are just fantastic, even daunting... That's why for my first auto or moto kit I went with this one with the Lionorar set as it's a simplified set but adds alot to the finished kit..... that's the plan anyway

Adam.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:35 AM   #28
ajthomas75
AF Newbie

Hi guys,

Been a while since an update..... it's amazing how much of your time a 3 month old new born daughter can take up.

Anyway, just a little update for the moment with yet more of the small parts taken care of.

As I said in my last update, I wanted to change the colour of the brake line connections on the calipers. I repainted these with a mix of Alclad Pale Gold and Dark Aluminium. I also wanted to detail the connections a little to more closely represent them on 1:1 bike.

I stated by cutting some slices of styrene tubes and tried to sand 6 sides of the rod to represent bolts (didn't look very even but I was hoping that it would be coverd up when they are put on the bike). I then painted have the bolts black and the other half with a coat of flat aluminium then a coat of clear red.

I then put one of each bolt on the connectors and added a short amount of the tube supplied by tamiya for the brake lines after painting them yellow. I will be using black plastic coated finishing for the brake lines for better representation of scale.

I've finished all the lights for the 'busa. I painted all the plastic behind the clear parts with my trusty silver leaf foil paint to liven up the colour of the red and orange. I need to tidy up the headlight a bit which I will do soon.

I've decided to add this small additional hose just below the radiator cap which is represented on the box art photos. I'm assuming that it is just an overflow hose and will just run through to the back of the bike somewhere to dump overflow from the radiator. If anyone knows if I'm wrong about this and the hose actually leads elsewhere, please, fell free to let me know.

I've started preparing the cowlings, sanding and polishing the joins. Even though Tamiya boast on the upper cowling being cast as one piece, it actually has two additional wrap around parts on each side with create some difficult joins to fill and sand and polish smooth.

That's it for the moment, more to follow soon.

Adam.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:01 AM   #29
BugZilla
Authorized Vendor

Hey Adam,

Glad to see you found some time to get some more done on the Busa. The paint work is fantastic, so nice and smooth, they almost look like the real thing.

Congrat's again on the new addition, she will definitely keep you busy.

Dave
BugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:17 AM   #30
fastfreddie72
AF Newbie

very NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fastfreddie72 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes