Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Which would you rather have as a first car?
2001 Dodge Neon R/T 1 7.14%
1997 Honda Prelude base 13 92.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 05:40 PM   #1
Rotary Noob
AF Newbie

Question '01 R/T Neon vs '97 Prelude

Hi, I'm 16, and I'm working my ass off to save up enough money(~7k), and I'm just going nuts trying to choose b/w one of these cars.
They'll both be 5spds
2k1 Dodge Neon R/T
2.0L SOHC I4 150hp@6400rpm
137lb-ft@3950rpm
Curb Weight ~2700lbs

0-60 mph in 7.5s with a quarter mile time of 16.1s at 88 mph and a top speed of 129 mph.

OR

1997 Honda Prelude(H22),
2.2L I4, 195hp@7000rpm 158lbs-ft@5500rpm,
Qtr Mile--15.3@94mph
0-60 ~7s
Curb Weight~3000lbs

Neon: Good looks, underdog, slowER,

Prelude: UNORIGINAL(just another honda), lacking torque, Faster, VTEC

You know how it is when your my age, you have a job, only one car, don't make much money(~700$ month for me); Although 100% of my money will go to this car, I'm probably going to stick w/ bolt ons, can't do anything extreme(i.e turbo, nos, internals), cuz it'll be my only car.
And I wanna be able to smoke some of the kids in my school, (namely a BMW 328i lol) so I need to be able to run anywhere from high 14s to low 15s

I really wanna get the Neon to surprise ppl, (my bro had a base model one so I kinda have a thing for them) but I don't know if I'll be able to run low 15s with bolt ons (intake, cat back, tb, ignition sys, pulley, header, 12 crane cam)

So basically which one would you choose if you were me?

Thanks for any help in advance
Rotary Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 06:10 PM   #2
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587
Re: '01 R/T Neon vs '97 Prelude

The Prelude is going to be much faster, more solidly built, and better-looking. But you're right, it's just another Honda (although Preludes are rarer than most). I'd take the Prelude, no question. Preludes are unique enough that I wouldn't worry about falling into the stereotypical Honda driver category, and as a FWD sport coupe, it has the Neon R/T soundly beat in just about every area.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:06 PM   #3
NISSANSPDR
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to NISSANSPDR

In the mindset of the late 90's Honda's...the Prelude was a torquey beast at 160 lbs...lol

NISSANSPDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:33 PM   #4
TatII
AF Fanatic

its funny that you call the prelude torqueless when it has more tq then the neon. haha

anyways prelude anyday. theres so much more aftermarket for them. not to mention you have to spend money on the neon just to make it as fast as a lude out of hte box, and you'll have alot less problems with build quality also. theres tons of turbo kits for the lude too, and the lude has waay better suspension. its better then the macpherson strut up front with struts in the rear ( if i remember correctly )

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
TatII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:33 PM   #5
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

The Prelude may not look very torquey on paper, but it feels like it has a ton of it, and the power up top is nothing short of spectacular. It'll have no problem beating a Neon R/T, from a dead-stop or from a roll at any speed. I'm not a big fan of the Neon R/T, really; the Cavalier Z24 and its GM clones (1996-2002) have it beat as far as American sport coupes go.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:50 PM   #6
del
móddə rąytər

preludes may be just another honda, but they have created a unique following within the whole tuner crowd. as a former prelude owner myself, i could say prelude owners like to distinguish themselves from that typical honda stereotype. you'll find your fair share of modded preludes in bad taste, but for the most part, i would say say a better percentage are tastefully done. great handling cars, top-notch build quality. fairly quick and very fun cars to drive. easy vote for me, even if i never owned a prelude.
del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:54 PM   #7
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Get a neon ACR and get into autox.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:32 PM   #8
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque

I think a neon makes a better realistic teenager car
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
drdisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:00 PM   #9
CanucksRT
AF Enthusiast

I'd go with the Prelude personally, from the box it has everything the neon has and than some, but like the previous poster said, the Neon is more of a teenager car, things like insurance, and just having that less power from the get go is good for a new driver.

Unless you feel fine with it, I'd go with the Prelude, I think chicks will dig it better than the Neon also.
CanucksRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:08 PM   #10
Rotary Noob
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatII
its funny that you call the prelude torqueless when it has more tq then the neon. haha

anyways prelude anyday. theres so much more aftermarket for them. not to mention you have to spend money on the neon just to make it as fast as a lude out of hte box, and you'll have alot less problems with build quality also. theres tons of turbo kits for the lude too, and the lude has waay better suspension. its better then the macpherson strut up front with struts in the rear ( if i remember correctly )
The Prelude has a little more torque than the Neon(19lbs-ft) but not much for something its weight. Keep in mind that the Neon weighs ~300lbs less than the Prelude.

Another important thing is that the Neon will feel more fresh cuz it'll most likely have less than 50k on it, as opposed to a Prelude which'll probably have more than 100k...

I'm aware of the fact that the Preludes faster, but with the Neon it'll be more worth it cuz people that I CAN beat will fuckin CRY cuz they just got smoked by a Neon.

It's still killing me...maybe after a few more replies
Old 03-30-2005, 10:33 PM   #11
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to v10_viper
Get a freakin' Neon man. If you could find a 2 door Neon R/T they're pretty neat little cars and you'll get one to be respectibaly fast I'm sure.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"

There is NO replacement, for displacement...

2007 Kawasaki ZX10-R S.E.
v10_viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:36 PM   #12
del
móddə rąytər

you don't even have the car and you're already talkin smack.

seems like you already have your mind set on the neon. have you driven either? do that first then decide. insurance would be less on the neon but the resale value won't hold up as well as the prelude. just a couple other things to think about.
del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:53 PM   #13
Rotary Noob
AF Newbie

Yea your right, I guess it just comes down to that now. And no I haven't driven neither, not even close lol, the only cars I've driven are a 99 Camry, 2k Neon, 2k4 Corolla. All ATXs

Well the moderator dudes are probably gonna delete this thread cuz I just realized I was supposed to make a 10 day limit LOL
Old 03-30-2005, 11:10 PM   #14
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

I'd be willing to bet that a Prelude with 120K will feel more fresh than a Neon R/T with 70K. The only Neon whose reliability I trust is the SRT-4; the rest are really iffy.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:32 AM   #15
TatII
AF Fanatic

yup, i'm almost positive that a prelude with 100K miles will have less squeecks and rattles then a neon with 50K miles. plus their plastics are the same ones used on rubbermaid trash cans. which is cheap.

also things on paper is very different from what they all appear to be. my 240sx when it was stock made 160lb ft of tq and weights 200 lbs less then the lude, and guess what? the lude felt torquier ( spelling? ) then my 240. and that thing will hardly ever lug in 5th gear, even at 40mph. that is alot of low end tq for you. my 240 when i'm at 40mph in 5th, the whole car is lugging and shaking like crazy.

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
TatII is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons