Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Whats the Best American Car
Corvette ZO6 27 50.94%
Viper 19 35.85%
Mustang Cobra R 7 13.21%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 10:08 PM   #46
zane11
AF Enthusiast

Yeh I know we all want money totally agree with you and the celica is a great car and I like that. I'm just saying that the viper out of these 3 cars is the ultimate performance machine, but you could mod any car to beat it including your celica.
zane11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 03:36 PM   #47
old man celica
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to old man celica
either way i think i can speak for us all, when i say it would rock to have anyone one of those crazy cars, i mean it would be better than a celica....:alien2: :alien2:
old man celica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 09:48 AM   #48
BigJustinZ28
AF Enthusiast

I think I'd have to go with the z06 . I know I'm a chevy man , but If you asked me 5 years ago the same question I'd probably have gone with the viper , but the vette has become so powerful that I dont have any doubts about it , I want a z06

1997 Camaro Z28 = LT1 w/ LT4 Conversion w/ Hot Cam
52mm T/B , SLP CAI , SLP Shorties .Eibach Springs, KYB GA Shocks.
SS Hood , Suncoast Creations Spoiler , F1 Camaro Wheels.
30th Ann. Style White with Orange Stripes.
BigJustinZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 01:16 PM   #49
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
I can't believe that so many people in this thread think that the Viper can't handle. It is a track car. It would waste the Z06 on the turns. Try driving an F1 car and see how well you can handle it. Most cars that are pure track cars take an experienced driver to handle. The Cobra, now that can't handle, and the Z06 is a more forgiving car for the less experienced driver.

There are a lot of ignorant comments in here, that is all I have to say.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 07:54 PM   #50
v10_viper
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to v10_viper
Quote:
Originally posted by Polygon
I can't believe that so many people in this thread think that the Viper can't handle. It is a track car. It would waste the Z06 on the turns. Try driving an F1 car and see how well you can handle it. Most cars that are pure track cars take an experienced driver to handle. The Cobra, now that can't handle, and the Z06 is a more forgiving car for the less experienced driver.

Exactly, ANYONE who knows anything about Vipers know that they were built as a car that can be driven on the street but can kick ass on the track. Do the words Competiton Coupe mean anything to you??? Track Viper for cheaper than most track cars, holy crap that thing is awesome, bad thing about the Vipers, Magazine testers can't test drive them worth a crap for the fact that they require lots of experience, they are saying that the new SRT-10 isn't fast than the old one at all, BULLSHIT!! with power to weight that they have over the old ones, they definately are faster. the magazines are saying that the Competion Coupe's top speed is 192, wtf?? it's well over 200 i bet. anyways, in the hands of say Tony Stewart, give him these two cars, i bet he gets faster laps in the Viper than the Z06 or Cobra, althought I will give the 1/4 mile to a properly modded Stang for the fact that it has a solid rear axle so it would hook up better, but they need much more power to compete with either of the other two cars.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"

There is NO replacement, for displacement...

2007 Kawasaki ZX10-R S.E.
v10_viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 05:16 PM   #51
Radracer
AF Newbie

You guys who think the z06 turns faster times than a viper, stock vs stock are obviously uniformed. Please do a search, any search where a viper and a vette, driven by the same person and you will be informed.

Amatuers and only amatuers will tell you that a vette is a better handling car than a viper. Why? A vette is an easier car to drive than a viper, so amatuers automatically assume it's "better". A race car on the other hand is not easy to drive fast! You can set a car up to drive easy around the turn by "slowing" it down. You do this by adding toe out and soft suspension. A true race car (like the viper) will be setup different and will not be so forgiving. So, if someone tells you a vette handles better than a viper, read this on his forehead...

"Amatuer"

This is really a meaningless discussion, all intelligent people who have owned both, driven or raced both, know the facts.

You will find that 75% of the viper owners are previous vette owners and have "stepped up" to the viper.

I have met 0 (nada, zilch) vette owners that are previous viper owners.

That alone should tell you something. People tend to step up to better and faster performance, not the other way around.

The viper won the lemans 3x in a row against the vette and has won most scca races this year against the vette.
Viper was pulled from lemans because the governing board decided they were too dominate and imposed many restrictions on the viper, such as intake restrictor (to reduce it's power down to at or below a vettes power) and weight and tire restrictions. THIS is why the viper is not at the top at Lemans the last two years.

Vipers are America's king of the hill, the very best in performance in power and handling. A few people (like those who have posted here) cannot accept that for whatever reason. Yet it wins and wins and wins and wins race after race, review after review. Even GM's top brass admit the corvette is not able the rightfully challenge the viper's king of the hill status. Why should you???? Yes, Mr. Lutz has in the works a "viper killer". Something that will challenge the viper in raw performance and handling. Until that day happens (if it happens) accept the fact that the Viper is the best performance vehicle this country has made to date. Bar none. Is the Z06 a great car? You bet it is, in every way. But it's not a viper, it plays 2nd fiddle to the viper in all performance aspects (even braking now that the srt is out).

It's a joke to call a viper a straight line performance vehicle. Couldn't be further from the truth. In fact it was designed as a road race car, not a 1/4 mile king although it does fairly well there too. Even though it wasn't geared or designed for 1/4 mile tracks it BLOWS the z06 away by nearly 1/2 second which is a significant margin. (average, some tests are more than that)

The viper has a slalom rating HIGHER than the vette. (better cornering and balance ability) and the viper has a higher rating on the skidpad than the vette. (better roadholding ability).

If someone would like to post here any proof to the contrary, such as a road test by ANY reputable organization that shows the vette having a faster or higher skidpad or slalom rating, then PLEASE do so.

THIS IS A CHALLENGE!

Otherwise go try to brainwash people elsewhere. It's not going to work here. I'm a republican, not a democrat so I don't go for that misleading information crap.
Kawasaki Vulcan Classic
Radracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 05:36 PM   #52
Radracer
AF Newbie

Oh and one more thing.

For those viper haters/z06 lovers out there who keep saying the z06 handles better then the viper.

What is your take on the latest test results by Justin Bell (corvette race car driver and race school operator)? He test drove all the latest supercars. Justin put each car through a series of tests, including laps on a road course and braking test.

Now according to you guys, the vette would win right? It's a better handling car and it's being driven by one of the world's BEST corvette drivers. No question the vette would win right???? ????

WRONG! The viper spanked the vette all around the track, every time by several seconds each lap. And it bested the corvettes brakes as well.

My question is, what have you got to say?

Do you admit the viper is indeed a better race car, a better handling sports car?

No, I doubt it because this is not about reason, it's about emotion.

You LIKE the vette because you own one or your friend owns one, so they MUST be a better car. You WANT to believe it's faster.

There just is no arguing this point, can't you see? It's like the OJ trial, even if they would have had a video tape of OJ killling those two innocent people, the jury would have aquitted. Why? Because it was an emotional issue, NOT one of reason. They WANTED to believe he was innocent, despite the facts, despite the truth.

The viper is a better performance vehicle.
Kawasaki Vulcan Classic
Old 07-22-2003, 05:52 PM   #53
Radracer
AF Newbie

Hopefully, this will enlighten all those who are uninformed and have only heard "retoric" on the z06 vs viper handling debate.

This test was performed by JUSTIN BELL (a well known and respected Corvette racecar driver) This should at least kill the "but in the hands of a better driver, the vette would win" argument.

What have the z06 die hards to say to this?

I got this from another site that was promoting the lambo position so some of the numbers are missing although the order is correct.

NOT ONE test result showed the Z06 AHEAD of the Viper. I find this amazing. The viper wins or ties the z06 in every catagory.

0-60
MT900 3.13 sec
Murci 3.51
Viper
575M
CL55
ZO6
EVO
Cobra
XKR

1/4 Mile Standing
MT900 11.02 sec @126.88
Murci 11.72@122.52
Viper
575M
CL55
ZO6
Cobra
Evo
XKR

60-0
Viper 97ft
MT900 100
ZO6 105
EVO 106
Murci 111
CL55
XKR
575M
Cobra

0-100-0
MT900 10.98
Viper 12.75
Murci 12.71
ZO6
575M
CL55
Cobra
Evo
XKR

Standing Mile
MT900 30.4@154.3mph
Murci 30.5@169.2
Viper
575M
ZO6
CL55
Cobra
XKR
Evo

100-0
Viper 274ft
MT900 275
ZO6 292
Evo 292
Murci 300
CL55
575M
Cobra
XKR

600 Foot Slalom
MT900 74.7
EVO 71.4
Viper 70.4
ZO6 70.4
575M 66.2
Murci 66.2
Cobra
XKR
CL55

Figure Eight
MT900 23.3 sec@.90G's
Viper 23.9@.86G's
Murci 24.7@.83G's
ZO6
Evo
575M
CL55
Cobra
XKR

Top Speed (limited by space)
Murci 193
CL55 (derestricted)
Viper
575M
ZO6
MT900
XKR
Cobra
Evo
F-150
Kawasaki Vulcan Classic
Old 07-22-2003, 09:10 PM   #54
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
I would say this debte is over. I forgot where I had placed that magazine. Thanks for posting all the facts for me.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 09:30 PM   #55
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Quote:
I would say this debte is over. I forgot where I had placed that magazine. Thanks for posting all the facts for me.
i agree that was the best comparison ever....

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 12:37 AM   #56
FYRHWK1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FYRHWK1
Quote:

It's far from "wasting" it when it comes to turns, the Viper will win in a roadcourse due to beter braking and power, not ability to transition nor grip.

The C5-r lost to the viper it's first year at lemans, it just BEAT it twice in a row for 1st and 2nd place in one of those years, in 2003 the C5-R lost to Prodrive, but I dont see any GTS-R's in there. The C5-R is the better racecar, hands down, but that means jack in the real world. When it comes down to it, including price, the Z06 is a much better buy, 50K vs 80 leaves ALOT of money left for modding, and unless you're searching for more then the 1000+ HP/TQ available on pump fuel then you dont need the vipers V10.

Both handle very well, and both have alot of room for improvement unlike every other exotic on the road, in the end it's all preference, but just so the viper guys stop patting htemselves on the back, the car is only better in your minds, it's far from better overall in the real world. Besides, you're comparing a car made in 97 to one just redesigned in 03, I should hope the redesigned car would be on top for now, compare the old GTS' brakes to the Z06 and theres a LARGE difference there as well, the C6 Z06 will be proper competition, just hope you dont mind losing much.
FYRHWK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 10:19 AM   #57
Radracer
AF Newbie

Just as I expected, excuses. Some people won't accept the truth. The truth is the Viper each and every model has been on top in terms of pure performance every year since it's inception.

The OLD GEN II will still blow away any corvette, including the 2003 z06. There are every conceivable documented tests and comparisons to prove this fact. As I said, there are road test results that show lap times for each model and the GTS beats the z06 in every lap.

FACT not FICTION

TRUTH not LIES

HONESTY not PROPAGANDA

I could post review after review just as I posted the numbers above, but someone would then say, "well yea but everyone knows the temperature that day was 77 degrees and corvettes are tuned to run at 90" or "Yea, but everyone knows that a vette will win any race on the street because it's setup to run on the street and the drivers were just biased anyway" or "yea, the viper only has better lap times because it's got wider tires, stick the same tires on each car the vette stomps the viper" or "yea, but the vette is $30K less, think of all the mods you can buy for $30K" or "yea, but my friend has a vette and I'm brainwashed because my uncles nephews brother in laws neice said her friend said that a viper can't handle as well as a z06". or "I saw on the internet that all reviews that compare a viper vs a z06 are conspiracy" or "my friend in the 2nd grade said that vettes rule so that means a viper sucks" etc.....

The viper may not win here, but at least it wins on the track and EVERY single comparison review!

Get over it guys.
Kawasaki Vulcan Classic
Old 07-23-2003, 03:13 PM   #58
stangvette1
Banned

First off, the cobra r will get beat by both the viper and the Z06. The 2003 mustang cobra will keep up with the Z06, but definitely not the 2003 viper SRT-10. the Z06 and cobra are both worthy competitors of the viper, but neither the cobra or the Z06 will beat the viper. But since I am a big fan of both the Z06 and the Cobra I will tell all of the viper fans that with about $750-$1500 in mods the cobra or Z06 will beat the viper!!! The viper is a good car, but it is definitely NOT worth paying $80000 for. The Z06 and cobra are the BEST performance steals on the market. Plus the pathetic thing is that the Z06 and cobra both have more luxuries than the viper does ( I am not lying!). Sure these cars are not luxury vehicles, but it's pretty sad that a 35k car has more features than a 80k car. GEEZ, I can't wait until 2006. By then the Z06, cobra, and ford gt will all have 500 horsepower and kick the viper's ass in every category!!!!!!
stangvette1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 03:37 PM   #59
Radracer
AF Newbie

Ok, so we're finally making some progress here. Now some are finally admitting the truth that the viper is the best performance vehicle made in the great USA.

Now we turn to features. You are correct. The mustang and the vette offer more creature comforts. And they should, they are an everyday driver that is mass produced and mass marketed. These cars are a great blend of performance and comfort. They are compromise vehicles. A viper wasn't designed to be a compromise vehicle. It is a race car that so happens to be street legal.

What you miss with the viper (creature comforts) you get back with a driving experience like none other. It's an experience that you cannot wait to do again and it puts a smile on your face you cannot get off. Sure, some may say that with the mustang and the vette. I have owned both and am looking for a c5 daily driver as I type. However, these cars lack greatly in that awesome driving experience and the sheer raw power and handling capabilities that the viper exceeds at.

As far as $1000 upgrades to beat a viper. Yes, you can add $1000 worth of nitrous to nearly any vehicle and beat a viper down the 1/4 mile track. Can and has been done. What you fail to see here is "what's the point'? The problem with this argument is reliabilty. The viper, although it is 450hp is really detuned. It can and does produce much more power than that when properly tuned. The difference between the vette and stang and any other car that wants to beat a viper, is reliability. The viper can produce that kind of power all day long. You strap nitrous to a stang or vette to keep up or beat a viper too many times and you'll be looking at a nice hefty rebuild bill. And what happens is you want to turn? How much suspension work would be required on a mustang to match a vipers cornering ability? Not much on a z06 but on a mustang, I'm not even sure it's possible considering it's suspension geometry.

You see, there is always a trade off. It depends on what you are looking for. The best looking and best performing vehicle ever built? buy a viper. A great compromise vehicle with great power, handling, comfort, buy a cobra or a vette. Great value for the money.

$80k buys you a lot of car for the money. It is the best car built. Styling, finish, performance, handling, power. Remember, it's go an all aluminum V10 engine. Those things aren't cheap to build, especially in the quanitities they are built.

A small block v8 on the other hand is dime a dozen. Great for tuners, great for owners because of the low cost of replacement/enhancement parts.

$45-$55K buys you a lot of car in the vette too.

$45K to me for a mustang, supercharged or not is a joke to me. I personally don't see why someone would do it, but that's their money, not mine. As you saw in the post I made above, it did ok in the tests, but not that good either considering it was near the end of the pack and is nearly the cost of a z06. The z06 is definately the best bang for the buck.

But, if you have $80K, then why not step up and get the best? And if you don't, why knock those of us who could? One day you probably will and will enjoy the cars as much as we do. They are like no other car.
I did A LOT of research before buying mine. I wanted the best looking car and the best handling. The power was not as important to me but it was nice. I got it all with the viper.

So if you say you can beat a viper with only a $1000 upgrade, that's not really being reasonable either when all things are considered. So is a $5000 piece of junk a better car because it had $1000 nitrous blasted in it to beat a viper down a 1/4 mile strip?

I think not. But.... maybe you do.
Kawasaki Vulcan Classic

Last edited by Radracer; 07-23-2003 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:23 PM   #60
zane11
AF Enthusiast

Finally somone who could back me up after all this time of me saying the Viper is the best, thanks alot for the facts Radracer. The SRT-10 is the King of American cars and guess whats second not the Z06 the Viper GTS. The Z06 isn't comparable in my opinion and thats why its cheaper great bang for buck but not comparable to viper give it up. I know die hard chevy people who will admitt this I don't no why you guys can't. They just said they couldn't afford viper or theyd get that.

zane11 is offline   Reply With Quote