Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 8 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 10:26 AM   #1
jdechman
AF Newbie

850 EML Light

About once per day and after driving on the interstate for five minutes, the EML light comes on. Engine quickly starts losing power meaning you have to jump to the shoulder. To fix, turn the engine off, wait 5 seconds for the light to go off, and restart. It will not come on again that day. Sometimes the light will go two weeks before coming on again. Usually it happens every day or two.
jdechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 09:59 PM   #2
jeffreyb4me
AF Enthusiast

Re: 850 EML Light

there can be a number of causes and you mentioned NO 'check engine' lamp warning it sounds like a failing EML Control Unit, I've seen this symptom before. try and get both the DME's and the EML faults surveyed and see what turns up.
jeffreyb4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 06:49 AM   #3
jdechman
AF Newbie

Jeffrey, Thanks! No check engine lamp. The computer shows the EML code. My mechanic thinks it could be a low voltage issue. Maybe old batteries. He says usually the EML will not reset so easily when bad. However, it is very strange that the EML comes on at about the same location on the highway each time (after about 5 minutes). It may do it every day and then not happen for 15 days. I thought moisture could be involved. Confused on this... New EML is about $1,000
Old 07-14-2004, 07:20 PM   #4
jeffreyb4me
AF Enthusiast

they're expensive! ! yes. your technician should be able to read out the EML fault codes. he shouldn't have to think here [though it's an excellent practice
a majority of the time], he needs what information the EML system can give him 1st. IF he can't
access it you'll need to find someone who can.
Best to you and your tech...............................jb.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:09 AM   #5
SwissM8
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdechman
About once per day and after driving on the interstate for five minutes, the EML light comes on. Engine quickly starts losing power meaning you have to jump to the shoulder. To fix, turn the engine off, wait 5 seconds for the light to go off, and restart. It will not come on again that day. Sometimes the light will go two weeks before coming on again. Usually it happens every day or two.
My 2cents. Clean DK motors. It's a good thing to do and it's pretty free (you'll need new gaskets).
SwissM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:41 AM   #6
jdechman
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 850 EML Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissM8
My 2cents. Clean DK motors. It's a good thing to do and it's pretty free (you'll need new gaskets).
Thanks! I replaced both batteries and the EML has failed only once in the last three months. It failed after sitting outside in the rain for 3 days. Does this agree with your suggestion? I appreciate your help. Pretty dangerous when it fails. Car loses all power in about 30 seconds. Only fails on the highway at 60mph or greater.

Thanks, Jim
Old 12-03-2004, 09:53 PM   #7
jeffreyb4me
AF Enthusiast

Cleaning the DK's is a nice idea, but it won't fix your problem........won't hurt it either.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:49 AM   #8
SwissM8
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 850 EML Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdechman
Thanks! I replaced both batteries and the EML has failed only once in the last three months. It failed after sitting outside in the rain for 3 days. Does this agree with your suggestion? I appreciate your help. Pretty dangerous when it fails. Car loses all power in about 30 seconds. Only fails on the highway at 60mph or greater.

Thanks, Jim
If you're running on six (EML light is on, right?), the car will have more of a rumble sound (like a diesel) and of course, power loss!
DO NOT buy a new EML unit. They are very robust and unless someone has played with it (re-chipping is common), I wouldn't replace it just yet!.

Quick test: See which bank is running (left or right - pop the bonnet, you'll know straight away). Get home and swap DK's. I will eat my hat if the dead side doesn't change which will prove that 1 DK is dirty.

Again, save yourself the cash, do the DK's... I'll eat my hat if that doesn't fix your problem.
And DON'T BUY new DK's. A lot of mechanics will tell you that they are not serviceable - they are and after a good clean, end up good as new.

If I do end up eating my hat check fuel filters then fuel pumps (both) then fuel pressure regulators then intake manifold gaskets (in that order) - but I really don't think it will get to that.

Oh, what's your mileage? If it's 80-100k miles DK's
Old 01-02-2005, 09:40 AM   #9
RedV8
AF Newbie

Help !!! I bought my 850 just a few weeks ago and its been fine. I came back the other night and there was black ice all over the driveway - nearly hit the house, but ABS and traction control were working overtime and saved me..... The EML light kicked in as I was trying to move it across the very slippery ice. But now the EML light comes on when I start the car and its going nowhere... I was told the computer was replaced a year or so ago, but its clearly the ABS/TCS activity that has caused this. I assume it needs resetting. Any ideas ?
RedV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 02:32 AM   #10
SwissM8
AF Newbie

Hi RedV8,

ACS and EML are directly linked:
FYI, ASC will command the EML controller to roll back the throttle if wheelspin continues after retarding the ignition. They're linked via a command line from the ASC to the EML. A pulse width modulated signal indicates to the EML how much the throttle should be closed.

There could be numerous reasons why the EML light is on.
Faulty wheel speed sensor
Low battery voltage (can throw up errors)

Start driving and flick the ASC switch a few times. The EML light might go off. (note: ASC light on means you have turned it off).
or
You could go to a dealer and get a MODIC dump of the EML which will show what the error is.
or
Disconnect battery for 30 minutes or so may reset it - (WARNING) - doing this might fix the problem but you will have to resync your windows, sunroof DK throttles and you will need the code to unlock your radio.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:21 PM   #11
Singer
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Singer
Re: Re: 850 EML Light

Hi,

on my BMW850I the EML indicator sometime turn on and the engine loose power...

should I clean the DM ?

but... what is the DM? where is it and how do I clean id?

thank you for your help

Stefano
Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:24 AM   #12
taxi
AF Newbie

Unhappy 850i bmw

:screwy: I JUST GOT A 850I AND THE TRANSMISSION WENT.
I DIDNT USE THE CAR FOR EVEN 1 DAY AND BOOM. I HAVE LOOKED AROUND AT OTHER PROBLES THAT PEOPLE SEEM TO HAVE ON THERE 850,S ( WHAT OTHER PROBLEMS DO YOU THINK WILL POP UP) ^

Last edited by taxi; 07-06-2005 at 11:39 AM.
taxi is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 8 Series