Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 08:18 PM   #1
bobbyp
AF Newbie

Catera Radio Problem

My fatehr-in-law has asked me to help him with an electrical problem he has with his 2001 Catera.

Here is what he described to me.

The radio, domelight and highbeam indicator light will not work while the engine is running. If he turns the engine off and simply turns the key to ACCESSORIES or RUN everything works fine. As soon as the engine begins running these three items fail.

It really seems like a strange problem to me and I can't for the life of me understand why the engine running would make a difference. It tells me that it must be something more than a simple blown fuse.

If anyone has any suggestions about how to troubleshoot this problem, I would be very thankful.
bobbyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 06:52 PM   #2
kenworthbob
AF Newbie

Re: Catera Radio Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyp
My fatehr-in-law has asked me to help him with an electrical problem he has with his 2001 Catera.

Here is what he described to me.

The radio, domelight and highbeam indicator light will not work while the engine is running. If he turns the engine off and simply turns the key to ACCESSORIES or RUN everything works fine. As soon as the engine begins running these three items fail.

It really seems like a strange problem to me and I can't for the life of me understand why the engine running would make a difference. It tells me that it must be something more than a simple blown fuse.

If anyone has any suggestions about how to troubleshoot this problem, I would be very thankful.
Hey guys. I would be happy to tell you that it is not as hard to fix as it seems. The engineers that designed the electrical system must have been on cheep drugs! I had the same problem and found that a auxillery water pump on the right (passenger) side of the engine compartment, was shorted. A 12 volt motor that runs it failed, and blows a 10 amp fuse labled "CLAMP" in the fuse panel by the drivers knee. there are several fuses labled CLAMP, in that fuse box. This one powers the radio, autodoor locks(drivers side only) the high beam indicator, the map lights (only when driving!) the above mentioned coolant pump, power automatic window up and down( the push and release feature) and I think the engine fan power after key out. Replace the pump(test it first!) then a new fuse, and hopfully you are good to go! I found this without any diagram, just by common sense trouble shooting and some reading on the net. I would have never thought that anyone in their right mind would wire anything this way. The only thing this method would acomplish is to let you know something is wrong! I think a check engine light would do. I love my catera, but I think our life together is going to be a rough ride. Later and good luck. Let me know if this works.
kenworthbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
DOGMONSTER
AF Newbie

Just wanted to thank you for your post....I would have never figured that out on my own!
DOGMONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
frank35
AF Newbie

Then try to replace it completely and i am sue it is going to work.