Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 09:59 AM   #16
jkhe988
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Car Wash From Hell

Mine is in NY state. I'm thinking to hire a lawyer to sue the BMW dealer in here. If this is a common problem everywhere, why should we suffer the pain?!
jkhe988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 07:41 PM   #17
rosho100
AF Newbie

I recently had the same problem with my '92 325i (E36). I took it through a car wash, and right after the wash was done my car didn't start. I let the car dry out for about 2 weeks, and then it worked well. However, after a week it died again. Somehow the entire electrical system in my car was affected and the battery lost its charge. My advice is that before you buy a new computer, check the battery. I learned from a mechanic that the E36 only has two drains at the base of the windshield. So when there is a lot of water, such as in car washes, the car cannot quickly drain the water. Consequently, the computer is right next to the drains, and that causes the problem. The problem was solved in the new 3 series by adding two more drains. Hope this helps.
rosho100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 02:31 PM   #18
Blufire
AF Newbie

Re: Engine broke down after car washed!!

Would the same thing happen with hand washes? I just got a '94 325i and I really hope I don't have to run into this problem...
Blufire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 10:00 AM   #19
clr4969

Re: Re: Engine broke down after car washed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blufire
Would the same thing happen with hand washes? I just got a '94 325i and I really hope I don't have to run into this problem...
Blufire:

If by "hand washes" you mean washing the car yourself, after replacing my ECM, I have had no problems now that I wash by hand. If, on the other hand, you mean a "hand wash" car wash (i.e., brushless or some other kinder gentler system), the problem is the amount of water these car washes use coupled with the inability of our cars to adequately drain it (my local "hand wash" car wash dumps - at high pressure - 50 gallons of water on a car).

If you gently hose off your car, you should have no problems. Also, as I mentioned earlier, my local dealer suggested using jet ski electronic protectant on the ECM. I'm adding a Jim Conforti Chip to mine at which time I'll spray it with jet ski protectant and encase it in a plastic bag.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:26 PM   #20
007bimmer
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: Re: Re: Engine broke down after car washed!!

I also have the same problem after a carwash, but do any of you guys know why does the battery get drain?
007bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 11:11 PM   #21
007bimmer
AF Newbie

Talking Re: 94 325is Engine broke down after car washed!!

K Chan

Hi, my name is jose, I was wondering if you were able to fix your car?
And if so, what was your solution?
Because I have the same problem, I sure will like some help.

Thanx
007bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 11:50 PM   #22
jkhe988
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 94 325is Engine broke down after car washed!!

Hi Jose,
I just search through the internet for a used DME(Engine Computer) for my 94'325. What year if your car? Find out what is the part # for your model, then search through this Automtive Forums and see if anyone parting out their car which fit your car. Once you bought the DME, you can open the black plastic cover located on the firewall of passenger side when you open the hood. Unplug the cable and plug in the new one. It should be ok then. If you car had been towed to your home, you will save alot of money. If your car is in the mechanic place, then ask them to wait for you to decide to fix it or not. In the mean time, you have to find the parts asap. If the mechanic don't want to wait, then tow it to your home. This will only apply to the situation that when you brought your car to carwash and right after you finish the track, you car suddenly died and can't start again. I really pissed off when I found out that this is a common problem for all BMW 3 series. I really want to know if anyone sued the BMW and won the case. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:29 PM   #23
kylejustin
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to kylejustin
Changing the DME

When you change the DME can you just swap the part with an identicle one? I heard that you have to take the car to a dealership to have the DME re-codded.
kylejustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 12:58 PM   #24
bimmerman333
AF Regular

Re: 94 325is Engine broke down after car washed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhe988
A week ago, I brought my car to the car wash. When the car approach the end of the track, I noticed that the engine was off by itself. I tried to turn it back on, but it failed. I tried for more than 1.5 hour to see if the situation will turn better when it's a little bit dryer.( I usually wash my car like only 5 times a year because I found water will come in to the passenger floor from the bottom area of the glove compartment. I am sure the water must be from the car wash machine spray cleaning the bottom of the car.) Unfortunately, the car had to toll to the garage to be fixed. The mechanic can't get any signal from the engine computer, and there is no signal for fuel to come up to start the engine. He thinks the engine computer is broken since he opened it and found alot of mold and rust on he computer board. He advice me to replace it and then to see if any signal to tell him what cause the engine don't start. The engine computer will cost me $900 from BMW dealer. I can't affort this money. Even if I have that replaced, the main problem may not be recover if there is no signal for any clue which means the total fixing cost is unknown now, but sure it will over $1000. The market value of the car is $4500. I don't know if I should have the car being fixed or total lost the $4500 car. Please help if you know what cause the problem. Thanks.
your model bmw the ecu computer is behind the fire wall , if water is comming through the passanger side most likely it is coming through your fire wall and your ecu probably got drowned out, not what u wanted to hear, good luck hope its something cheaper and easier to fix.
bimmerman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 04:19 PM   #25
Skycity_BMW
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Skycity_BMW

Old 08-24-2004, 04:59 PM   #26
Antiburn
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Antiburn

Or worse case scenario it sucked in to much water through the intake and got blown into the combustion chamber and your entire engine if filled with water. Except about 7 grand if you want to replace it.

Ofcourse that would have to be alot of water. Same with your wet floor mats. That also would have to be alot of water to get all the way up behind the glove compartment. Ive seen numerous 3 series like yours that have the same water problem.
Antiburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 02:22 PM   #27
jkhe988
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Changing the DME

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejustin
When you change the DME can you just swap the part with an identicle one? I heard that you have to take the car to a dealership to have the DME re-codded.
If you bought an identical DME that fit your car, then just unplug the cable and plug it to your new one. Then start the car, you should be fine then. No need to recode or something. That's easy. From now on, wash your car by hand. Don't bring it to the car wash. Cause BMW has to be "Hand Carried"!!! Good luck.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:55 PM   #28
crash8168
AF Enthusiast

Re: 94 325is Engine broke down after car washed!!

There is a bullletin to add another drain to the area where the computer is mounted. This problem is made worse by leaves blocking the drain that is already there.
crash8168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:09 AM   #29
Skycity_BMW
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Skycity_BMW

Old 03-28-2005, 03:21 PM   #30
gerhard328
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to gerhard328

Reading all of this makes me even scared just to drive my 328i in the rain....
gerhard328 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series