Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
vzfox
AF Regular

Unhappy 1995 318is...power drain

Well, my 95 318is will hold a charge on the battery for about two days before the battery is completely dead. I have been thru 3 batteries and the last two have tested good, so im 99.9% sure its not a bad battery issue. There is one place i can listen and hear something running or making a humming noise when the car is off (key out), its coming from or behind the air controls/on board computer temp clock.

I have checked and re checked to make sure the radio, lights, interior lights, trunk light and air controls are not on when the car is off. The interior lights fade out within 10 seconds or so and stay out. The windows arent moving or trying to move...basically, everything is off.

Now, for the hummng noise I refered to...i have no idea what it is thats making the noise and if its suppose to hum for a bit before it stops, no clue. Can someone tell me what this noise might be, where to find it and maybe how to fix it if it needs it. If anyone can think of anything else on this car that might make the battery drain after two days, please let me know.

thank you
vzfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
CMauro_75
AF Newbie

Re: 1995 318is...power drain

Is the humming noise coming from your stereo or speakers? Electrical drains can be incredibly difficult to track. Volkswagen Golf R32 Portland Dealership

Last edited by CMauro_75; 07-08-2011 at 11:42 AM.
CMauro_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
vzfox
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMauro_75 View Post
Is the humming noise coming from your stereo or speakers? Electrical drains can be incredibly difficult to track.
no, the stereo is off and the speakers are located on each door kick panel....the humming noise is coming from the center console in the dash where the air/fan controls and clock/temp is located. the noise is coming from behind them and you have to get down to really listen and hear it, but its there.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
vzfox
AF Regular

Exclamation Re: 1995 318is...power drain

Update.....

The humming noise i am refering to stops after about 3 to 4 mins and all is silent.

I still have not located the source of the battery drain and have no idea where to even start. Like i stated earlier, all lights and radio are off inside the car. One thing i have noticed and read up on is the anti theft system, not sure if my car came with any type of security but if it did, it dont work. My key has a button that turns on a small light on the key and thats all it does. Doors have to be locked and unlocked with the key unless your inside and open a door. Locking either door from the outside will not cause everything to lock, only the door your locking.

Does this have anything to do with my power drain issue, not sure....thats why im here asking you guys for help. Any and all ideas are appriciated

P.S. I also did the amp test from the Bentley manual....remove neg bat cable and test amperage from neg bat terminal to neg bat cable and start removing fuse by fuse til the amps draw lowers/changes. This test did not work for me. It shows I have a 4.60 amp draw with everything off, i removed all fuses one by one and it never changed.

Last edited by vzfox; 01-30-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
vzfox
AF Regular

Its pretty obvious that no one has a clue what my problem is, but im going to continue to ask in hopes someone will read this post and have some ideas...

I havent started my car for about 5 days now and just now went out to check the charge, no surprise it was totally dead. I put my digital volt meter on the battery and it showed .129 volts (not even one volt). What on the car could cause a total drain? Radio? Faulty wiring? Where would I look and how could i test to find it?

If I unhook the battery from the car, the battery will hold a charge for at least a week I know. So im pretty confident that the battery isnt faulty.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
Shmay
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: 1995 318is...power drain

Hey I'm have the same issue with my 95 318is and that humming noise is a fan behind the air controls my guess is to cool all the electric stuff behind the dash I tore my whole dash apart to find out what it was I put anew alternator in and still have problems the lights under my window switches glow and license plate light stays on sometime when I turn the key off and take the key out I have no clue what to do....
Shmay is offline   Reply With Quote