Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
diddy0071
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to diddy0071
'93 320i Braking issues

So I've been having issues with the braking on my car for a few MONTHS now. At first, it was just the check engine and ABS light coming on, but now, when I drive, sometimes when I step on the brake, the pedal goes all the way to the floor. I pump it and it gets hard again, but it's scary when it happens. Sometimes when I press the pedal, it gets really hard and it makes a noise as if the Antilock brakes has kicked in. I want to fix it before I kill myself driving, but I have NO clue where to begin. Could it be my Master Cylinder or a brake pad issue? Please help!
Old 06-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Re: '93 320i Braking issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy0071 View Post
So I've been having issues with the braking on my car for a few MONTHS now. At first, it was just the check engine and ABS light coming on, but now, when I drive, sometimes when I step on the brake, the pedal goes all the way to the floor. I pump it and it gets hard again, but it's scary when it happens. Sometimes when I press the pedal, it gets really hard and it makes a noise as if the Antilock brakes has kicked in. I want to fix it before I kill myself driving, but I have NO clue where to begin. Could it be my Master Cylinder or a brake pad issue? Please help!
sounds like you need new master cyl but you say if you pump it the brake gets harder? have you taken off wheels and chcked pasds and shoes or is this a 4 wheel disc? by the way you say you hear a sound when you pump them up that sounds like the booster your hearing but like i say did you check all 4 brakes i'd do that first before you do anything?
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scrapper For This Useful Post:
diddy0071 (06-04-2011)
Old 06-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
diddy0071
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to diddy0071

I was hoping it wasn't the master cylinder, but I think I can get a used one for $50 from the junkyard. Are they easy to replace? I've never done them before, so it will be an experience I guess. As for checking the brakes, I haven't done that in a long time, and they have never given an indication that they were going bad (I replaced the front ones 2 years ago, but not the sensors, so the light that warns you about the brakes needing replacement has been on since). It's 4 wheel discs, so checking them isn't a problem I guess, I can do that today or tommorrow, depending on the weather, it's raining currently.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy0071 View Post
I was hoping it wasn't the master cylinder, but I think I can get a used one for $50 from the junkyard. Are they easy to replace? I've never done them before, so it will be an experience I guess. As for checking the brakes, I haven't done that in a long time, and they have never given an indication that they were going bad (I replaced the front ones 2 years ago, but not the sensors, so the light that warns you about the brakes needing replacement has been on since). It's 4 wheel discs, so checking them isn't a problem I guess, I can do that today or tommorrow, depending on the weather, it's raining currently.
yes i'd check brake pads first if there ok i'd go for the master cyl.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote