Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 8 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 11:57 PM   #1
Ed_Lauwerens
AF Newbie

Question Braking Problems (HELP!)

I have a problem with my braking system. When I push the brakes fast, the red braking problem light lights up and it takes a delay of 0,5 second for the car actually starts braking. The braking power comes in gradually, instead of as quick as I would expect given the speed I push the braking pedal.
As this seems to be a hydrolic problem, I had all pumps in the braking system replaced one by one, but still the problem exists.
Now I have no clue left.
Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any suggestions on what to do next?
Thanks!
Ed_Lauwerens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:17 AM   #2
porscheguy9999
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to porscheguy9999
For starters, I have never owned a BMW before, but I think that you might have some faulty wiring. That or the pistons in the brake pad are getting old and may need to be replaced. If your 8 is older than 95, then that may be it. If its not an internal problem, and its the brakes themselves, you ma need to replace all discs and pads. Go with some Brembo's or somthing like that. Again, I've never owned a BMW, so this may not be very helpful.

Thanks to Nicecar!

Got a Facebook? Join the AF group!
http://hs.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2213949483&ref=mf
porscheguy9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 08:52 AM   #3
SwissM8
AF Newbie

Re: Braking Problems (HELP!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Lauwerens
I have a problem with my braking system. When I push the brakes fast, the red braking problem light lights up and it takes a delay of 0,5 second for the car actually starts braking. The braking power comes in gradually, instead of as quick as I would expect given the speed I push the braking pedal.
As this seems to be a hydrolic problem, I had all pumps in the braking system replaced one by one, but still the problem exists.
Now I have no clue left.
Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any suggestions on what to do next?
Thanks!
Sound suspiciously like your brake accumulator is dead (dying) - this is known in 850 circles as the 'brake bomb'. It's located in the front left wheel well and is a pretty easy fix (if you have the repair manual, it's in there). Not sure if the manual says so but remember to pump the brakes about 20 times to relieve the pressure before you remove the bomb (with the engine stopped). Replace the high and low pressure valves while you're at it (inexpensive). When you're ready to bleed the system (via the bleed valve on the hydraulic control unit), use the steering wheel (not the brakes) until no bubbles appear in the discharge.

Also, check you Pentosin level (the type - 7.1 or 11s should be stamped on the reservoir lid). Don't mix the two if you are filling/topping up.

What pumps were replaced? Has a dealer looked at the problem?
SwissM8 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 8 Series