Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Suzuki > Sidekick
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 07:18 AM   #1
dkeeton
AF Newbie

Check engine light

I recently purchased an 89 Sidekick. Everything was fine when I purchased it and as it is to be a hunting vehicle I replaced all fluids as well as plugs, wires, filters and oxygen sensor before taking it out to the ranch. Now my check engine light is on solid. I have checked the chilton manual on it and shorted the appropriate wires under the hood to try and read the code but the light remains on constant and does not provide a code. According to the manual this means the ECU is bad. About every third time you start the vehicle is runs really poorly and misses very bad. The others times it seems to run fine. My question is, might something I have done caused this and is there any way to test the ECU before just purchasing another one?
dkeeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 11:10 AM   #2
DeadSock
AF Newbie

Re: Check engine light

sounds like the milage tripped (did you recently get a 60K 80K 100K 120K milestone?)

search under the left hand side of the dash for small switch (usually behind the speaker, or behind the dash panel below the steering column). Get a good light, an inspection mirror, and happy hunting (I think it took me about an hour to find mine near the steering column).

flip the switch, and you should be good until the next milestone. (If that doesn't fix it, then it may be a bad ECM).
DeadSock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 02:37 AM   #3
Crossroads Bill
AF Newbie

Re: Check engine light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeeton
I recently purchased an 89 Sidekick. Everything was fine when I purchased it and as it is to be a hunting vehicle I replaced all fluids as well as plugs, wires, filters and oxygen sensor before taking it out to the ranch. Now my check engine light is on solid. I have checked the chilton manual on it and shorted the appropriate wires under the hood to try and read the code but the light remains on constant and does not provide a code. According to the manual this means the ECU is bad. About every third time you start the vehicle is runs really poorly and misses very bad. The others times it seems to run fine. My question is, might something I have done caused this and is there any way to test the ECU before just purchasing another one?

Might try a new gas cap.Ours started comin on when the gas cap was left off and comes on every now and then after a fill up.It seems to run ok tho,just that irritating light is on
Crossroads Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Suzuki > Sidekick