Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 11:04 PM   #31
swoopy007
AF Newbie

99 t&c/doesn't start

WOW! It's about time I found someone else who's having this type of problem. I've been ready to sell my van because of this! I've been told it was a security defect of some sort.......I'm going to try the banging on the dash & have my husband look into fixing the circuit board.......& let you know how it goes........This is a great web site!
swoopy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:15 PM   #32
Yeorgos
AF Newbie

No start no Dash instrument cluster caravan 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000

I know this is an old thread, but it helped me out immensely. I came across it while searching Dodgetalk or something. What I am adding is the link to my question on dodgetalk. I answered my own question because of this thread, but I also came up with reasons as to why the cluster seems to mess up, aside from cold solder joints.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...=1#post2377396

Spring and summer usually mean poorer road conditions in terms of bumps, until the roads get fixed. I suspect that the clusters typically failing around 160km or 100miles, as I read on some threads, is due to the vibrations of the road, and is amplified by worn out suspension systems typical of this milage. The lower ball join in particular takes the most abuse. Once it goes, everything else gets really bad really fast. They are sealed ball joints, meant for the life of the car, typically 100miles.

People still need to solder up their instrument clusters to fix the problem short term. If the suspension is really bad, or you travel in a construction zone all the time, the fix will likely fail again.
Yeorgos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:34 PM   #33
Mrod
AF Newbie

Re: intermittent start problem '98 Caravan Sport

I've had the same problem with my 98 grand(not so). the dealer pointed me to the instrument cluster so I now live with a torn apart dash - have done the hitting thing but sometimes have to manipulate the connector, cleaning the connector contacts can last up to six months. Now a new problem no radio at all and door locks unless key in run - maybe the ignition switch now???
Mrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:40 PM   #34
RIP
AF -Advisor

Re: No start no Dash instrument cluster caravan 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeorgos
I suspect that the clusters typically failing around 160km or 100miles, as I read on some threads, is due to the vibrations of the road, and is amplified by worn out suspension systems typical of this milage.
...and the torque imparted on the connector's solder joints on the circuit board by inept design of the routing of the wire harness and/or improper positioning of the harness during installation. Keep steady pressure on a solder joint and it will fail.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:31 AM   #35
Yeorgos
AF Newbie

I haven't taken apart the dash of my van yet, but if tension is constantly placed on the cluster plug by the wires, creating an extended harness from a junkyard caravan may lessen the tension. All depends on the connectors and room back there.

In regards to the radio dying permenantly and the door locks only functioning when the car is on, that seems like bcm stuff to me, assuming power is getting to the radio and it is properly connected back there. May want to replace the radio if the old one is getting power supplied.

I looked at a wiring diagram for a 1996 3.8l es door locks. I don't see anything directly related to the ignition on the diagram. Stuff goes to the BCM, and that is where the relays for actuating the lock unlock stuff is. Not much else other than replace the bcm it seems.

If you are talking about keyless entry only working with the ignition on, the keyless entry module goes to the ground of the instrument cluster, and that possibly is connected to the working ground (I read there are two grounds on the instrument cluster) once the ignition switch engages.
Yeorgos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #36
tonyt2
AF Newbie

I came upon this thread while searching for similar issues that I am experiencing with my '99 T&C. I had to try giving the dash a wack to see if it worked, The insrtuments and milage LCDs immediatly came on after being off for days. I could not believe it. THANKS I will look for loose and cold solder joints when I have time to open it up and when my wrist gets sore. THANKS AGAIN!
tonyt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #37
petwaitress
AF Newbie

Had this fixed 2 summers ago, shade-tree mechanic went to the junkyard and bought a cluster for 50 bucks and it's been golden ever since.
petwaitress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:54 AM   #38
RIP
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by petwaitress View Post
Had this fixed 2 summers ago, shade-tree mechanic went to the junkyard and bought a cluster for 50 bucks and it's been golden ever since.
Could have kept $49.90 in your wallet and saved a trip to the junkyard but hey you could have forked over $500 to a dealership too.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:16 PM   #39
Mrod
AF Newbie

i finally took the Instrument cluster out and re-soldered all the connector joints plus coated the pins with solder. been over a year with no more problems of that sort.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #40
Mrod
AF Newbie

also if your radio stops working and your door locks only work when the vehicle is running check the little fuse in the engine compartment fuse box labeled "mem" that was the fix for me -- better double check it I thought I had checked but suffered several months before checking it (again?)
Old 07-12-2015, 02:01 AM   #41
Snix
AF Newbie

Thank you! This problem baffled my regular mechanic and I am mechanically "unsound" and only work on computers The "hit it on the dash" worked and thanks to the posted pictures i'm going to tackle the soldring tomorrow. Thank goodness for google
Snix is offline   Reply With Quote