Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Neon | Plymouth Neon
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
vXv_crucial_vXv
AF Newbie

2001 Dodge Neon R/T

I am looking to do some work to my car. Was told that a 420a motor with a bolt on turbo would be good for what I am looking for, but than was told by someone else that this would twist my body.
I was also told that if i was just to rebuild the motor and make this motor a bit better and put a turbo on it that it might do what I need. I am basically trying to figure out the best way to go about this. I am scouting the field for multiple options.

I was trying to look into more information. Can someone help me with this?

Last edited by vXv_crucial_vXv; 08-09-2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: More Information
vXv_crucial_vXv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
das2123
Tuning Neons since '97

Send a message via AIM to das2123 Send a message via Yahoo to das2123
Re: 2001 Dodge Neon R/T

The 420a motor is the motor in the N/A eclipse. It is NOT the DOHC motor in the 1st gen Dodge/Plymouth Neons. The DOHC motor is called the ECC motor.

What do you want to get out of the engine? What are your goals? What is your budget?
Old 08-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
vXv_crucial_vXv
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by das2123 View Post
The 420a motor is the motor in the N/A eclipse. It is NOT the DOHC motor in the 1st gen Dodge/Plymouth Neons. The DOHC motor is called the ECC motor.

What do you want to get out of the engine? What are your goals? What is your budget?
yeah I know thats the one in the eclipse and I have the 2nd gen neon r/t model.
basically I just want to show people that a neon does have some power and balls behind it.

for instance if someone is fooling around with you on the high way because of the way the outside of your car looks like than I want to be able to show him that I am packing a punch behind the car.

and I am not sure of my budget yet I am trying to figure out some things first before I decided how much I want to spend. basically I am doing some research.

i have a good 15,000ish.

but i am also in college and trying to move out of the house and what not so I am just looking around for research materials and best ways to do things and such
Old 08-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
das2123
Tuning Neons since '97

But swapping in another engine won't prove your point on the neon. You can turbo your current engine and have a real nice fast, quick car. The magnum engine in the 2nd gen neons are rated at 150HP to start off.

Honestly, I wouldn't spend too much money on modding the neon IF you think you are gonna increase the value of the car because you won't. If you want to do it as a hobby, then by all means have fun modding.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
vXv_crucial_vXv
AF Newbie

Yeah.
well what is a good car to look for because I am also looking into that situation as well because my brother was thinking of buying my neon off of me.

and I would rather use the neon for a show car to be honest, but I can't exactly afford a nissan skyline like I want soooo yeah.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
bobgagt1.0
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vXv_crucial_vXv View Post
yeah I know thats the one in the eclipse and I have the 2nd gen neon r/t model.
basically I just want to show people that a neon does have some power and balls behind it.

for instance if someone is fooling around with you on the high way because of the way the outside of your car looks like than I want to be able to show him that I am packing a punch behind the car.

and I am not sure of my budget yet I am trying to figure out some things first before I decided how much I want to spend. basically I am doing some research.

i have a good 15,000ish.

but i am also in college and trying to move out of the house and what not so I am just looking around for research materials and best ways to do things and such
You should be able to build a neon that can keep up with just about any thing on the road for about half of that. The 2.0 DOHC is a capable engine on it's own and with the right turbo set up 300 hp + should be very do-able. If you want more than that and still stay in the family get a 2.4 ltr srt-4 motor, tranny and ALL harnesses and swap them into your car. from there increase the size of the turbo and the intercooler and hold on to your seat. If that still isn't enough have the engine rebuilt from the ground up with a huge twin turbo set up in mind. For 15 k you could have the fastest, best looking, streetable neon around.

srt-4 motors are expensive but $ can be saved by getting a 2.4 out of a turbo pt cruiser gt, buy a head from an srt-4 and swap it into your motor (it is now an srt-4 motor) and going from there. buy parts from forum members such as turbos etc and having them rebuilt or examined by a professional. do your homework, take your time and be sure to have the end product properly tuned.
bobgagt1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
das2123
Tuning Neons since '97

Man, this is an old thread.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
bobgagt1.0
AF Newbie

Quote: