Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 10:55 PM   #1
Jovian9
AF Newbie

Shaking & Slipping in front when braking?

Hello. Recently I replaced my front rotors, brake pads, bearings (inner, outer, seals, races).....all on the front (I posted for help on this site....many thanks!). I replaced these d/t the fact that the shop told me my rotors were warped (plus the pads were worn and it's recommended that you replace the bearings at 60,000). When braking the vehicle starts shaking and it feels like the brakes slip on and off when gripping the rotors. I thought replacing the rotors would solve this(since the old ones were warped), but it hasn't. It still does this even though all of the above mentioned are new......and I had a shop look over my work after replacing all of this and it was fine.
What else could be causing this problem? Neither place I've had my brakes looked at noticed any other problems....so could it be something outside of the brakes, perhaps dealing with the wheel? I do not feel any shaking when driving, even at high speeds....only when braking. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate them. Thanks a lot!
'99 Isuzu Rodeo V6 4WD
Jovian9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 09:07 AM   #2
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Re: Shaking & Slipping in front when braking?

It could be worn controler arm bushings and/or worn sawy bar bushings.

FYI: bearing don't need to be replaced at 60k only repacked.

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 10:24 AM   #3
Cat Fuzz
AF Enthusiast

It could be that the new rotors are warped. If they are stored on edge they can warp sitting on the shelf.
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 06:29 PM   #4
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Does the ABS light go on when these symptoms arise? sounds like ABS kicking on due to a bad wheel speed sensor.
G/luck
Joel
Old 07-11-2004, 08:18 PM   #5
Jovian9
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeo02
Does the ABS light go on when these symptoms arise? sounds like ABS kicking on due to a bad wheel speed sensor.
G/luck
Joel
No.....the ABS light never comes on during the shaking/slipping of my front brakes. I am taking it to have the brakes looked at (at a different shop) tomorrow to see if these new rotors are warped.....if not I'll be having them look at the controller arm bushings and the sawy bar bushings like amigo-2k suggested in the first reply. Thanks!
Jovian9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 03:16 PM   #6
CLReamy
AF Newbie

I have same or similar problem with my wife's 1998 Honda Passport (Isuzu). I haven't been driving it for awhile but just noticed a disturbing shake and slipping durning the last few inches when approaching a stop. No shake or slip at initial braking, just near the end as the front left wheel reaches a complete stop. She has 72K miles on it and I need to check her records on any past brake job. I will continue to track the conversation if anyone finds a solution and I will have it in the dealership next week for sched service. I will ask them about it and post here. I don't think it is ABS either no light and my last car, when ABS engaged there was no mistaking the vibrating brake pedel. The brake pedel is not vibrating. Some work was however done on the brake pedel mount recently that I just now recall, squeaking, binding noise near end of pedel travel, somehow the dealer fixed that, that noise was local to the pedel itself.
CLReamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 09:54 AM   #7
BLACKRAINE
AF Newbie

Shaking

I 2 Feel A Real Severe Shaking When Braking I Have Changed My Rotors Twice And Had Them Cut Twice And Still The Same Problem The Car Sounds Like Its Runnin Over Train Tracks I Worked On Again This Passed Weekend And Nothing Seems 2 Help
I Shook Down The Front End Everthing Seems Pretty Tight I Am At My Wits End Also So Please Ant Help Would Be Appreicated
BLACKRAINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
dingobait
AF Regular

I am having this exact problem. 99 Rodeo, V6, M/T, 2WD.

It isn't just brake chatter. It shakes the whole vehicle, but it doesn't happen at every stop. It's intermittent.

I even pulled the 60 amp ABS fuse for about a week, but the problem persists.

I've checked everything I can think of, but no luck yet.

Did anyone ever find a solution to this issue?

It shakes enough that people in the crosswalk or in other vehicles notice it.

I've had bad rotors in the past so I know what that steering wheel shake feels like, and that's easily cured. I also don't feel the ABS pulse in the brake pedal.

It only happens just before the car comes to a complete stop, but it's intermittent.

Anyone? Any assistance from anyone who's been able to diagnose this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Mark
HB, Ca.
dingobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:40 PM   #9
dingobait
AF Regular

I'm doing more research and experimentation with this.

Although the problem occurs "during braking", I'm not convinced that the issue is with the brakes, especially since it's so intermittent.

Braking applies a lot of torque to many parts of the front suspension.

I've found out some interesting things today, and the research continues. I'll post my findings when I have this cured.

Any input appreciated. This one has been very interesting so far. I wish I could visually see if the tires are jumping around at all when this happens, but I don't have a gopro to leave underneath my car while driving in hopes of catching this.

I'm making headway.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:36 PM   #10
greenilosity
AF Newbie

ISUZU RODEO LSE 2000:

I am having the same shaking issue. This started very recently. I should say car is well maintained, engine is good. Recently replaced front shocks. 3 days after felt the car was vibrating/shaking. Brought it to the mechanic, said one of the coils has gone bad. Replaced t coil and did engine test. Nothing wrong with engine, but car still shaking. It will shake when stopping, and on start up. When accelerating -- accelerates slow from stop then kicks off, and feels like car is choking, for lack of a better term. So, like anyone else, I also have same problem, and hoping to find permanent fix.
greenilosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:37 PM   #11
dingobait
AF Regular

That sounds quite a bit diffeent. Mine is only shaking while braking and only right before the car comes to a complete stop, so it's something in the brakes, suspension, ABS system etc.

It's also very intermittent.

Your mechanic change one of the 6 engine coils? t coil as you call it?

Is yours an automatic trans?
Old 08-31-2014, 05:18 PM   #12
greenilosity
AF Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I am not calling it t coil. . It was a typo . I meant "the coil". Yes it has automatic transmission. Anyway, brought it back to the mechanic, no more shaking. But still feeling a bit of vibration on the passenger side.
greenilosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:19 PM   #13
dingobait
AF Regular

What did the mechanic do?

Yesterday I read all 3 ABS sensors at the nearest connector to each of them. All read good with a multimeter.

Mine is still very intermittent. I just drove 30 miles in city traffic and it happened just a few times, but it's still there.

Now that I finally got my hands on the front wheel bearing locknut socket, I need to take it apart.

I have a feeling that it's something with the caliper or pads on the passenger side front brake, or the rotor. I changed the rotors about a year ago, so it seems they would last longer.

We shall see.

Mark
HB
Old 09-09-2014, 10:34 PM   #14
dingobait
AF Regular

1999 Rodeo LS 2WD, M/T, 3.2L V6, 282,500 miles

Mine is fixed.

This one was puzzling.

Eventually I figured out that it only occurred when I didn't exceed 25 to 30 mph between stops, and even then it would happen ONLY right before I came to a complete AND GENTLE stop, and even though at that point the wheel was barely turning, the front end of the car would shake and vibrate enough to get the attention of other vehicles and pedestrians.

If I stomped on it when it began to happen (when no-one was behind me), it would stop.

It had to be fixed since all of that vibration was putting too much stress on other parts of the suspension etc.

Why it happened only when I didn't exceed a certain speed is open to interpretation. Somehow the pads didn't sit well at lower speeds?

I disconnected the ABS sensors one at a time to no avail.

I could drive 30 miles or more and have it happen only once or twice or not at all. It never happened in the early morning, or at night, but only during the heat of the day.

I tore it apart again and noticed that on the passenger front wheel the outside brake pad was quite a bit thinner than the inner pad though both had plenty of meat left on them. They were more even on the drivers side, but the inside was still the thicker of the 2.

I replaced both caliper pins on each side and put on new ceramic pads, being sure of course to grease the pins with brake grease, as well as the pad backing-plates (I have drums on the rear and they obviously weren't part of the problem).

It hasn't happened since. It wasn't the rotors or the ABS like so many I talked to suggested.

All's well that ends.

Mark
HB, Ca.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #15
dingobait
AF Regular

And then, after 4 days of zero incidents, the exact problem resurfaced.

Stay tuned.......

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU