Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volvo > S80
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
madhatteras
AF Newbie

93 octane needed

I have a 2003 S80 and was told by an independant garage that works on Volvos that we don't need to put the 91 or above octane gas in. That we could use regular or 89. He said it would not gum up the system. Any thoughts.
I filled up the other night for 68 bucks and while I wouldnt mind saving a few $$ I dont want to end up spending more on a new engine if he is incorrect.
He said we could also just occaisionally fill up with 91 + octane. He seemed logical because he was against fuel additives and said they dont work and will gum up the system.
madhatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:08 PM   #2
Cyberr
AF Newbie

Re: 93 octane needed

Just for fun so can i inform that we use 95 in Sweden/Volvo home land.
95, 98 octane petrol is what we can find on a ordinary filling station.
And E85 which is ethanol is getting very common now – could compared with 105 octane petrol. I searched a little about ethanol on S80 volvo and some had tested it. And they had, without changing anything, which worked if they mixed just 20% into the 95 octane petrol.

This should result with higher octane, which could compensate your 85.

I just read that it’s basically the same engine in the S80 as the old Volvo 960 which I have hard to believe but okay.

There are several convert sets, electronic boxes which allow you to drive on ethanol only. For the s80. As I understood so do you have ethanol on your stations also?
You will save money by changing to ethanol, and gain some extra horse power.

Sine it’s so new model so do I not dare to say anything about running on 85, if the mechanic say it’s okay then it’s okay. If it was the older models then you can drive it on almost anything and it will survive, strong machines. :-)
Just lessen after strange noise from the engine, knocking sound, that’s not good, then it needs higher octane. If it doesn’t have any turbo then I don’t think there should be any problem at all. I think they have adapted the system for your octane. On those never car so can you remove one sparkplug and the engine will adapt it self and you wont notice it so…
Cyberr is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volvo > S80