Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lexus > LFA
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 06:18 AM   #1
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to carbuilder2002
V10 engine

Has anyone here got any experience of the V10 Lexus engine as I am considering it as an alternative to the BMW V10 unit as it has a greater bhp out of the box by some 50 bhp?
carbuilder2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:37 PM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: V10 engine

I've never driven an LFA (unless you count virtual reality) but I've read about them and seen them on tv several times. I do know that the engine is quite special and somewhat unconventional. The internals are super lightweight, so you can rev the engine pretty high (like 9000 rpm I think), but you don't have to rev it all the way to the redline to access any useable horsepower, it's got power in the mid range too. Another crazy characteristic is the reason why the LFA has a digital tachometer. It's not just for looks, they tried that engine several different analog tachometers, but they kept breaking because they couldn't keep up with how fast the engine is capable of gaining and losing RPM.
Don't get me wrong, the BMW V10 is a great engine too, but it's not quite as special as the Lexus V10 found in the LFA.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:45 AM   #3
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to carbuilder2002
Re: V10 engine

All very good to hear all I need now is to find one of these mythical beasts and not holding out much hope to be honest.
carbuilder2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lexus > LFA