Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 01:13 PM   #1
UncleBenRep
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to UncleBenRep
Quick Turbo Question

Well i asked this question in the skyline forum yesterday and have no response to it yet, so i thought to give it shot in here because this is a very popular forum and you all know lots about skylines or the engines at least...what are the stock turbos on rb26dett? hks, garrett, something else....about what size? ....also if you were to do a turbo upgrade on the rb26 would you want to keep equal sized turbos, or do a smaller turbo and bigger turbo sequential setup??? i would say the sequential setup because the smaller turbo has little lag but lacks the high end and the bigger is just the opposite. or am i wrong?
UncleBenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 02:34 PM   #2
SHIFT_KA24DE
AF Enthusiast

Re: Quick Turbo Question

which model skyline are you talking about? Nissan have used many different turbines depending on whether if it's a bcnr32, bnr34, etc...

The R32's at one point came with T28's and the R34's came with T25's i think? But this also depends on whether if it's a GT-R, V-spec, V-spec II, Nur, M-spec....

I think most of them were Garretts... some are called N1 specs, etc.. i'm not sure. ( they, as in japan, have a lot more variety when it comes to parts so we probably won't know much of them).

If your wondering about lag time... the reason why they have two turbos in the first place is to decrease the lag time. I wouldn't worry too much about it if you happen to have a rb.

The turbines may seem small but they are bigger than the stock Z turbines... ah well... do a search.. you'll get more info.
SHIFT_KA24DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:27 PM   #3
sf_carfreak
AF Regular

I think all of them were Garretts and depending on the spec of the car the impellers were ceramic or some other metal. The specs for R32 are A/R42・M24 (not familiar w/the terminology so you'll have to find out what that exactly means...). How you want to setup the turbo's depends on what stage you're going to drive your car. Generally speaking the trend I see is that twin sequential turbo's are good for track b/c of less lag (like in Gr.A and JTCC racing) and single big turbo's are used for 1/4 miles where your going for max power knowing the revs will be high. Of course I've seen plenty exceptions, but hopefully it'll help in your decision making
sf_carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:02 PM   #4
UncleBenRep
AF Regular

i figured they were garretts....so then my next question is what would be a reasonable turbo upgrade?? twin T3's??? twin T3/T4's??? or maybe t28 and T4??? because i can see both turbo setups.... one can use the same size turbos because each turbo is powering 3 cylinders....or the sequential setup makes since too since the bigger turbo is building its power off of the smaller turbo. Im just wondering if one turbo setup is better than the other or if they both have perks.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:05 PM   #5
logik23
Banned

Send a message via MSN to logik23

Go check out turbo upgrade kits from big companies and see what they use.
logik23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:47 PM   #6
driftking777
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to driftking777 Send a message via MSN to driftking777

depending on the flange type...if its a T2# series flange and not a T03/04 flange...a good alternative for good hp and good boost reponse is a t2871r...it can give you around 380whp-420crhp. thats with the .84 a/r...the .64 ar gives around 320whp...basically its an upgraded newer disco patato (if you know turbos you'll know what im talking about)...anywho...the T03/04 turbo is a good one to (if your looking in that flange type)
83 RX7: KA-T, t3/t4 turbo,Tial 38mm WG, MR coilovers, 5 lug conversion all around, TII brakes, hydraulic hand brake, 8" rear", 6 point cage, AMS Rebuild kit, Fully ported polished race head, Custom interior, JLine 6LR2 15x8, 16x9.5
driftking777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:32 PM   #7
nissanfanatic
240SX Guy

Send a message via ICQ to nissanfanatic Send a message via AIM to nissanfanatic Send a message via MSN to nissanfanatic Send a message via Yahoo to nissanfanatic

If I upgraded the turbo setup, I would go to one large single turbo. Plenty of snails out there today that can support big numbers with little lag.

1992 Nissan 240sx KA24DE-Turbo: The Showcar
Stock internals. Daily driven.
12.6@122mph
496whp/436wtq at 25psi
nissanfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:34 PM   #8
nissanfanatic
240SX Guy

Send a message via ICQ to nissanfanatic Send a message via AIM to nissanfanatic Send a message via MSN to nissanfanatic Send a message via Yahoo to nissanfanatic

If you are going to make big numbers, go with a T3 flange. Using a T2 to make big numbers is like trying to shit out of a straw after eating the pizza buffet and eating ex-lax chocolate for dessert .

12.6@122mph
496whp/436wtq at 25psi
Old 02-16-2005, 05:50 PM   #9
logik23
Banned

Send a message via MSN to logik23

There's a guy making 750whp with a twin setup, power is not a problem with a TT setup.
logik23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 06:04 PM   #10
driftking777
AF Enthusiast

he never said power was a problem with a TT setup...on a reliablity issue and saving weight, engine space and $$$...doing a large single is just as effiecint as a medium size TT setup...i personally would do a large single myself...there is absolutly no perks to having twin turbo besides bling...IMO
83 RX7: KA-T, t3/t4 turbo,Tial 38mm WG, MR coilovers, 5 lug conversion all around, TII brakes, hydraulic hand brake, 8" rear", 6 point cage, AMS Rebuild kit, Fully ported polished race head, Custom interior, JLine 6LR2 15x8, 16x9.5
Old 02-16-2005, 06:08 PM   #11
driftking777
AF Enthusiast

and btw nissanfanatic i didnt say T2...i meant the T25-T28 ect series flange...there are huge T28 flanges out there to capable of HUGE #'s just like the T3 flanges...(EX) http://store.yahoo.com/cheapturbo/gagt86ar.html i guess 475whp isnt much (j/k) but i mean...who the hell needs more than that in a small car...or skyling...a 500hp skyline is just as insane as a 500hp 240...
Old 02-16-2005, 07:14 PM   #12
Hit_N_Run-player
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Hit_N_Run-player

why is everything internal wastegated? i want external!!

Horsepower sells cars,
Torque wins races!
Hit_N_Run-player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:23 PM   #13
nissanfanatic
240SX Guy

http://sound-performance.com/

Check out the project cars and the turbos. Theres plenty of potential in single turbos.

475whp is a lot, but I would guess that after you drove it for a while, it would become not enough just like anything else. Its an addiction. Just like drugs, adrenaline, euphoria, ect you always want more.

12.6@122mph
496whp/436wtq at 25psi
Old 02-17-2005, 01:38 PM   #14
UncleBenRep
AF Regular

you all make good points, but i was also asking if a sequential turbo setup or same sized turbos are a better setup???
Old 02-17-2005, 07:48 PM   #15
Hit_N_Run-player
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Hit_N_Run-player

sequential is hard to set up in the engine bay, but has said to be pretty street effective. I wouldnt know though if running seq on a 4 cyl is very effecient.

Horsepower sells cars,
Torque wins races!
Hit_N_Run-player is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX