Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 01:13 AM   #1
LWPulsar
AF Newbie

240 reliablity?

Hey guys am looking to purchase a 97-98 240 assuming I can find one, not much local luck so for anyway, I was curious how these car stand up to the mile every one puts on them. Are they dependable or will I be making unscheduled(sp) trips to the shop? You honest opinion on your car please. Would you buy it again? Thanks, this will be my first car, well that I bought myself so I gotta do my HW before the cash is dropped. Thanks again for your time.
LWPulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:25 AM   #2
nissanfanatic
240SX Guy

Send a message via ICQ to nissanfanatic Send a message via AIM to nissanfanatic Send a message via MSN to nissanfanatic Send a message via Yahoo to nissanfanatic
Re: 240 reliablity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWPulsar
Hey guys am looking to purchase a 97-98 240 assuming I can find one, not much local luck so for anyway, I was curious how these car stand up to the mile every one puts on them. Are they dependable or will I be making unscheduled(sp) trips to the shop? You honest opinion on your car please. Would you buy it again? Thanks, this will be my first car, well that I bought myself so I gotta do my HW before the cash is dropped. Thanks again for your time.
The car is as reliable as you are. If the car can rely on you to keep up with matinence, you can rely on the car to get you from point A to point B. You can imagine that the car will rely on you to be extra nit-picky with matinence if you rely on the car to get 0-60s in the 5 second range or 13 second 1320's.

As far as random stuff breaking, none here.

1992 Nissan 240sx KA24DE-Turbo: The Showcar
Stock internals. Daily driven.
12.6@122mph
496whp/436wtq at 25psi
nissanfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:31 AM   #3
LWPulsar
AF Newbie

Thats what I wanna here. Hows maintance cost? Kind of a broad question I know, but any input would be helpful, Im still in college so I don't wanna break the bank on just the car alone; I still need to have money for mods. thought I was gonna say school huh.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:40 AM   #4
nissanfanatic
240SX Guy

Send a message via ICQ to nissanfanatic Send a message via AIM to nissanfanatic Send a message via MSN to nissanfanatic Send a message via Yahoo to nissanfanatic

It is a broad question... In fact too broad to give an answer. Heres an example:

Bubba's V8 Hi-PO shop charges $19.99 for a oil change and inspection. Oil and filter alone for my car is roughly $40. Mobil 1 5w-30 and Mobil 1 oil filter. Plus I buy a case for my leaky valve seals.

Get it? Learn to do stuff yourself and save some money for those go-fast parts.

12.6@122mph
496whp/436wtq at 25psi
Old 02-20-2005, 01:45 AM   #5
Hit_N_Run-player
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Hit_N_Run-player

if you buy a set of tools sometimes doing it yourself and learning you can get the tools for free, get it?

Horsepower sells cars,
Torque wins races!
Hit_N_Run-player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:48 AM   #6
J SPEC SilEighty
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to J SPEC SilEighty

Depends on how you treat it of course, but overall, I'd say they are a farily reliable car
Old 02-20-2005, 01:56 AM   #7
Xtreme_098
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Xtreme_098

Who cares about reliability, buy it. Stay away from civics, I hear they fall apart in the rain.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:05 AM   #8
TatII
AF Fanatic

a 240 maintained right with oil change every 3000 miles will run over 200K miles. most 240s i see are can go over 200K miles if left pretty stock.

i had mine turboed making almost 2X factory output for over 35K miles and the engine still has perfect compression, and my engine has 110K miles right now. if thats not a bullet proof engine then i don't know what is.

remember this engine wasn't designed to be turboed from the factory, but the stock rods starts to break at 600hp and the pistons starts to crack a 450hp. the stock crank shaft have yet to be broken yet. you never have to change the timing belt eitehr since we run on timing chains ( even though a timing chain rebuild kit is recommended when rebuilding hte engine ). also all of these hp levels was achieved by a stand alone fuel management tuned to perfection.

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
TatII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 02:08 AM   #9
nissanfanatic
240SX Guy

I say one of the most overlooked things on the KA when turboing is the PCV system.

12.6@122mph
496whp/436wtq at 25psi
Old 02-20-2005, 02:56 AM   #10
TatII
AF Fanatic

too bad the pcv is impossible to get too. nissanfanatic any hints on how to get to it with the engine still in the car?

Best E.T. 13.559
Best Trap speed 107.62 mph
TatII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 03:50 PM   #11
nissanfanatic
240SX Guy

No. Its possible. Its a tedious job, but it is very possible. You have to remove the alternator, oil filter, and oil sender(our turbo lines) and possible the intake manifold support. I think it will be easier to get to it from under the car. I would use a 3/4" deep well socket, wobbly, and some extensions. www.240sx.org has a write up on both the top and bottom removal methods. You can actually touch the valve without moving anything from the front of the engine. Its right behind the where the thermostat is.

I wasn't hinting at changing it. I was hinting at the stock PCV's inability to handle boost. The stock system won't even really work that well modified. My plan is to put the valvecover hose into the intake, but with the opening facing the oncoming air creating very slight pressure in the hose. Then run a hose from the stock PCV valve to the intake, but facing toward the turbine inlet creating vacuum. Should allow pretty good airflow I think.

12.6@122mph
496whp/436wtq at 25psi
Old 02-21-2005, 01:15 AM   #12
LWPulsar
AF Newbie

Thanks guys I appreciate the replies. This car and an Impreza RS are the cars I have in mind. But Im having a tought time just locating them. let alone one with a manual. Im Keep looking and something will popup hopefully.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX