Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 3
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
2000GPGTBlue2dr
AF Newbie

Tire/wheel Noise from the front wheels 2005 Mazda 3 s

I had 4 Goodyear Tripletred All season tires mounted on my car after 28000 miles (because the OEM Toyo Proxes tires didn't last very long) but all 4 wheels have been extremely noisy on the Freeway (60mph or greater). Now at 58000 miles I replaced the noisy Tripletreds with General Altimax HP tires and there is no more road noise for the back 2 wheels only.

Now I hear noise only from the front 2 wheels when I go 35 mph or more. It's even louder on the Freeway. Could it be that the front 2 tires were not balanced properly or do I need to replace the front wheel bearings???

Also is replacing the front axle wheel bearings and hub assembly an easy job???

I just purchased these Timken HA590097 Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly from
Amazon.com and I would appreciate some easy to follow instructions if someone has them?????

Paid half the price that Autozone was asking for.......
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1BB0GDPEIAGXP
2000GPGTBlue2dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #2
2000GPGTBlue2dr
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Tire/wheel Noise from the front wheels 2005 Mazda 3 s

After I had the 2 front wheel bearing hub assemblies installed on my Mazda 3 the car is quiet again on the freeway and it feels like a new car again.
The problem I had was the Tripletred Tires had an aggressive tread pattern that was too loud and on top of that the front wheel bearings were loud as well. It sounded like I was driving a tank. I changed the tires and the wheel bearings and the car is quiet for speeds over 35 mph. Hope this post helps others who have the same problem.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
2000oldsilh
AF Newbie

Re: Tire/wheel Noise from the front wheels 2005 Mazda 3 s

Did you install the bearings by yourself, if so..how hard is it to do.

I have my parts but can't locate any manuals.
2000oldsilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
2000GPGTBlue2dr
AF Newbie

Unfortunately you need a special tool to pack the wheel bearing hub assembly which I don't have so I took it to a local garage and they installed the parts I bought on Amazon.com for $120. They charged me $129 labor to install on each side of the front axle (total of $258). After I replaced the front bearing assemblies it sounds like a new car now- quiet and smooth on the freeway (speeds above 60 mph).
Old 11-20-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
SagaciousB
AF Newbie

I got that same Timken TMHA590097 for my 2006 Mazda3. However, when the shop wanted to install it they said that there is a retention clip on the OES bearing that is not on the Timken assembly. Because the Timken assembly cannot be pressed apart, they couldn't find any way to get the retention clip in. According to him, this is what holds the bearing in place.

It kind of surprises me that Timken would make a part that isn't able to be installed, so now I don't know what to think. The complete Timken hub assembly is cheaper than just the original bearing (not even with a new hub - OES you have to buy 2 parts) but it may be a poor, un-installable design. Anybody have any experience otherwise? Or did you just ignore the retention clip/groove for the Timken assembly?
SagaciousB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
2000GPGTBlue2dr
AF Newbie

I assume they used the old retention clips when they installed my new bearing hub assemblies, I guess????
Old 11-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
SagaciousB
AF Newbie

I think that the problem wasn't that the clip wasn't included, its that there was no room to put it in. On the OES equipment, the bearing/hub come as two different parts. However, on the Timken part, they are fixed together and cannot be pressed apart.

So, on the original equipment, the install procedure would be:
1) press in bearing into knuckle
2) install retention ring/clip
3) press in hub into bearing/knuckle
4) re-install knuckle/hub onto shaft, tighten lock-nut

The problem with the complete assembly is that you can't get a ring between the hub and bearing. What I'm not certain of is how necessary that actually would be, because it seems that the lock nut/bolt should be what actually holds the assembly in the knuckle - not this little retention clip?
SagaciousB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:36 PM   #8
silentbob343
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagaciousB View Post
I got that same Timken TMHA590097 for my 2006 Mazda3. However, when the shop wanted to install it they said that there is a retention clip on the OES bearing that is not on the Timken assembly. Because the Timken assembly cannot be pressed apart, they couldn't find any way to get the retention clip in. According to him, this is what holds the bearing in place.

It kind of surprises me that Timken would make a part that isn't able to be installed, so now I don't know what to think. The complete Timken hub assembly is cheaper than just the original bearing (not even with a new hub - OES you have to buy 2 parts) but it may be a poor, un-installable design. Anybody have any experience otherwise? Or did you just ignore the retention clip/groove for the Timken assembly?
Sorry to necro a thread, but this person bough the wrong part for their car.

Mazda changed hub and bearings after 01/05 and that part is for cars assembled before 01/05. They also changed from an axle bolt to an axle nut.

For some more detail of the change: On 04s and early 05s both the bearing and hub are one piece. Later 05s and up have a separate bearing and hub which also requires the c-clip. As SagaciousB found out his 06 was not compatible with that Timken part meant for an early Mazda 3. The correct Timken part number for an ABS Mazda3 is WB000028 and for a non-ABS Mazda3 it is WB000032.

Remember kids always research your vehicle thoroughly before you start wrenching on it or you might find yourself with the incorrect parts and a half assembled vehicle.

While 3rd party mechanics are great in terms of value, they don't know the ins and outs of a particular make, so best to educate yourself and leave little up to chance.
silentbob343 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 3