Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > RX-8
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 06:08 PM   #1
wierenut
AF Newbie

Teflon Oil Treatment in RX-8

Has anybody had any bad experiences using an oil additive such as "Slick 50" in an RX-8?

I had an F 150 that I put something similar to slick 50 in every 50k and it is still running at almost 200k with absolutely no engie wear problems.

The local oil change business I frequent was extremely hesitant about putting anything in the oil of my 04 so I never gave it the treatment. I am considering giving my 05 an oil additive treatment but I thought I would get some thoughts from you guys first. I welcome your thoughts.

Marty
wierenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 10:58 AM   #2
rotary wonder
AF Newbie

Marty - steer well clear. Mazda advise against any fuel / oil additive. Prodrive advised the same. They don't need them. I can't see it would add anything to the rotary engine, given their design.

Chris
rotary wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:48 PM   #3
240slider
AF Newbie

Re: Teflon Oil Treatment in RX-8

At the training for the rotary engine (I'm a tech) they told us any of those additives will damage apex and corner seals.
240slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:07 AM   #4
Gotian
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Gotian

Dont do it, if you want better protection you could use Royal Purple Synthetic oil. Mazda says not to use synthetic because of the seals, but those were the seals from back when the FD was around, the seals the 8 uses are much stronger and can use synthetic. There are many 8 owners who use synthetic and have been running with it for over 60k miles now with no problems.
Gotian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:50 AM   #5
6dmnbag
AF Regular

I use redline synthetic oil in my car for about 2600 miles now, it seems to run better than before. Also, I've heard of people using a gasoline pre-mix that is supposed to increase you gas mileage and other magical things to your motor. I have never tried the pre-mix so I have no input on it.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:03 PM   #6
Gotian
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Gotian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6dmnbag
I use redline synthetic oil in my car for about 2600 miles now, it seems to run better than before. Also, I've heard of people using a gasoline pre-mix that is supposed to increase you gas mileage and other magical things to your motor. I have never tried the pre-mix so I have no input on it.

I dont know how to use the pre-mix so im not gonna touch what i dont know, and it's a good thing that youre using synthetic 6dmnbag, especially since youre running a turbo.
Gotian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:08 AM   #7
rgmcalpine
AF Newbie

It wont do any harm. All it will do is fill in the microscopic imperfections in the two mating parts. What Im not sure is how that stuff likes getting roasted in the RX8. That might be Mazdas gripe.

But I havent had any starting problems with mine since i have been using this. Also key to remember is this new engine is better due to lubrication. The only potential problem may be fouled plugs from deposits. Of which I cant say has happened to me.

I have been using roil by Neways in mine for over a year and I have had no problems. Did feel the engine feels nicer. But that could also reek of a good tonic and the placebo effect. But my MPG is better than before. So something has got better. Perhaps my foot is slipping off the accerator pedal quicker.
rgmcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > RX-8