Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Legnum
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 02:28 AM   #1
Brinz
AF Newbie

1997 Legnum kicking at 100kms

Hi every one. I am having a problem with my 1997 1.8 GDI 4x4 Legnum and was wondering if any one else had this problem or even better a fix for it. The car is an auto with 56,000 kms on the clock.
The car goes well when its is cold and when it is hot around town, but when on the open road just driving with little to no load (around 100 kms) it tends to kick every km or so (very annoying). Also the fuel economy is not as good as I would like. I have had as low as 19 miles to the gallon around town, The best I have had is around 34 to the gallon on a trip.
I have tryed new plugs, airfilter, had the auto sreviced and had the Mitsubishi computer pluged in to see if any fault coads came up . It was fine.
Any ideas anyone.

Also one thing that I have found about 1.8 GDI's is that there are two type of fuel pumps. The early one has a green round sticker on the side of the fuel pump the later has a blue sticker. It seems that the green ones give alot of trouble but the blue ones seem ok. Also they are not interchangable with each other. I have a friend with a GDI galant that would not idle when hot and he changed the fuel pump and fixed the problem (it was a green one)

I have also seen a 1.8 GDI Legnum with 320,000 kms on the clock, so they can't all be bad.

Thanks for any help.
Brinz
Brinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 09:38 PM   #2
grolschie
AF Newbie

Yeah it's only a slight miss, right? Noticed when foot hardly on the gas, no load, and slight flat smooth road? Not quite enough of a miss to be worrying, but annoying all the same. I was told by Mitsubishi that this is an inherant "feature" of these motors and that nothing is wrong. They just do it. But then again, I haven't had my Legnum on the computer yet? Or maybe they did do that when they replaced the $2000 high pressure fuel pump. Thank God for mechanical warranties. ;-)

What I find annoying is kicking the gas pedal, and the revs stay high to ages and take forever to drop down. It's like revving a carbed car with the choke on, or revving one with a mega heavy flywheel.
grolschie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 05:16 AM   #3
pjpools
AF Newbie

Re: 1997 Legnum kicking at 100kms

HiBrinz
I have the same problem and just had a delux service with new platinum tipped spark plugs,etc. Mechanic said there was an inherant problem of cabon build up in inlet tracks which would cost and extra $300+ to do so left it. Ran smoother at low speeds but then still the odd miss around 100klm.
Is this the correct diagnosis or shall I start using 96 grade petrol??
Thanks
Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinz
Hi every one. I am having a problem with my 1997 1.8 GDI 4x4 Legnum and was wondering if any one else had this problem or even better a fix for it. The car is an auto with 56,000 kms on the clock.
The car goes well when its is cold and when it is hot around town, but when on the open road just driving with little to no load (around 100 kms) it tends to kick every km or so (very annoying). Also the fuel economy is not as good as I would like. I have had as low as 19 miles to the gallon around town, The best I have had is around 34 to the gallon on a trip.
I have tryed new plugs, airfilter, had the auto sreviced and had the Mitsubishi computer pluged in to see if any fault coads came up . It was fine.
Any ideas anyone.

Also one thing that I have found about 1.8 GDI's is that there are two type of fuel pumps. The early one has a green round sticker on the side of the fuel pump the later has a blue sticker. It seems that the green ones give alot of trouble but the blue ones seem ok. Also they are not interchangable with each other. I have a friend with a GDI galant that would not idle when hot and he changed the fuel pump and fixed the problem (it was a green one)

I have also seen a 1.8 GDI Legnum with 320,000 kms on the clock, so they can't all be bad.

Thanks for any help.
Brinz
pjpools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 02:18 PM   #4
nick mann
AF Newbie

The GDI engine is designed for 100 octane fuel. Use the best fuel you can find and the engine should run better.
nick mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
dangermouse0000
AF Newbie

Hi Brinz

This is a known problem with the Legnum and there is no 100% effective cure. That said, there are two main issues that alone or together can cause the symptoms you describe - I know because my Legnum did exactly the same thing at 100Km/h on straight, flat roads despite the fact that the Mitsubishi computerised testing showed no fault and the wheel balance/alignment were OK.

Basically the GDi is designed for high-octane low-sulphur fuel. To achieve low emissions, exhaust gasses are recycled through the engine. If low octane 91 or 96 fuel has been used, this can cause serious problems for the fuel injectors, so this is one thing to get checked out.

The other main problem is caused by the automatic transmission fluid. Mitusbishi had a problem with the original fluid undergoing a thermal breakdown, which resulted in the torque converter becoming glazed and 'sticky' - causing the kicks at 100Km/h. The solution is to replace the old type 2 Mitsubishi fluid with the improved type 3 Mitsubishi fluid - don't use a third party product as the viscosity is critical. The transmission should be fully flushed and the filter replaced. You'll find that although there may be an improvement immediately, the full improvement may take a couple of months or so, as the torque converter sheds the glazed fluid, and it gets picked up by the new filter.
dangermouse0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 06:58 PM   #6
irishgalantvrg
AF Newbie

hey there , i think this is what you are lookin for!!!! worked a treat on mine

http://www.idealcarparts.com/default.htm?page=12
irishgalantvrg is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Legnum