Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 07:20 PM   #1
strk500
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to strk500
2000 Grand am hard shift

i started to notice over winter that my car would shift hard if i was accelarating around 3 grand. Then today when i floored it, it felt like it sliped or something. The rpms where around 5 then it droped to 4 then back up to 5 grand. It was weird. It is really windy out today and i was going against it so idk. Should i have the dealer look at it or just wait until it gets worse. I'm thinking of getting the transmission fluid change this monday car has about 42k on it so its about time anyways
Old 04-03-2004, 08:52 PM   #2
AznGA
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 Grand am hard shift

Did you try resetting the PCM? I had that problem, but after resetting it, it went away.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:04 PM   #3
grfnkl
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to grfnkl
I had similiar problems with My G/A. I tried the PCM update/reset and that did not help my case. Mine ended up being that the catalytic Converter was clogged! It sounds odd, but it really was the cause. Mine i dealt with for over a year and a half though. If you are gonna bring it into a dealer to have them look at it ( which I suggest) Bring it to one that you trust will actually find the problem... and if anything bring it to several dealers until they find the cause... Don't do what i did which was accept what the one dealer was telling me "theres nothing wrong", until the car was barely moving anymore.

Old 04-08-2004, 03:22 PM   #4
stiz69
AF Newbie

I just went through the same thing with my 01. Check the wires for the IAT (intake air temp sensor). Mine would ohm out but it was not moving enough volts so the pcm was not getting the proper temp reading so it was making the pump in the tranny goto high preassure which made it shift hard. I ended up splicing in a new pigtail and the problem was fixed.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
making dollars
AF Newbie

Had the same problems with no service codes stored, changed TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and it shifts fine and accelerates beautifully.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:38 PM   #6
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

welcome to AF making dollars.

no need to bring up a 11 yr old dead thread! chances are he doesnt even own the car anymore.

and it was more likely a pump issue that happens to most 99-02 models. or needed a fluid filter change. 03 they change designs on the trans pump.

Please read the user agreement on posting in dead/old threads. thanks

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM