Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > RX-7
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 06:58 AM   #1
e12Euro
AF Newbie

Question Does anyone know this Mazda book?

It's down as 2nd revised edition, does anyone have earlier versions? As a Mazda guy I thought I knew them all, but haven't come across any earlier version. :?

Mazda Rotary Book
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MazdaCover.jpg (27.4 KB, 3 views)
e12Euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:32 AM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: Does anyone know this Mazda book?

I'm not surprised there's a whole book on rotary engines. In some ways they're genius, and in others not so much.
The genius part is having fewer moving parts. Because of the way they're built, you use them differently. The power is at high RPMs, so you can rev the piss out of a rotary engine, and it will thank you with a plentiful bounty of horsepower. At high RPMs, the sound is amazing, and they work really well with turbochargers.
All the unique brilliance does come at a price. They burn oil whether the engine is in prime condition or worn out, they're very high maintenance; the seals inside need to be replaced frequently, which involves disassembling the engine almost completely. And the fuel consumption is pretty dismal for the smaller cars rotary engines are usually found in.
I'm on the fence about whether I'd want a rotary engine in my life. Lots of fun, but lots of maintenance.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > RX-7