Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 09:21 AM   #1
AF News Desk
Your Source For Auto News

2016 Mercedes-AMG C63 Coupe Rendered, Detailed

What It Is: The most powerful iteration of the next C-class coupe, the Mercedes-AMG C63. It will be strongly differentiated from the non-AMG versions—perhaps even more so than our renderings suggest. Powered by a twin-turbo V-8, the C63 will share less than half of its sheetmetal with the workaday coupes. Look for wide fenders, quadruple exhaust pipes, and vertical air outlets at the back. Stylistically, the closest thing to this new car is the AMG GT.

Why It Matters: The latest Mercedes-Benz C-class has turned into a headache for the competition. Featuring a new, more upscale design language both inside and out and loaded with cutting-edge technology, it has vaulted to near the top of its segment, and it makes the analogous BMW and Audi models look positively dated. With the C63 coupe, the company remains in attack mode in the profitable high-performance corner of the segment. And this car could even steal a few sales from Porsche, grabbing customers who wouldn’t look at an AMG GT because it lacks rear seats—which would give the Daimler brass particular delight, given the two companies’ proximity in Stuttgart.

Platform: Built off of the rear-wheel-drive platform shared with the C-class sedan, the upcoming GLC crossover (that’s the GLK replacement), and the next-generation E-class, the C coupe has access to a vast bin of hardware and electronics bits. Expect telematics and assistance systems that go beyond the class standard.

Powertrain: The AMG C63 coupe, like its four-door sibling, will be powered by the M177 version of the twin-turbocharged 4.0-liter V-8 that also sits under the hood of the AMG GT (where it’s designated M178). As in the C63 sedan, we expect two levels of output; a standard version will make 469 horsepower, while the C63 S will produce a whopping 503. Maximum torque should be rated at 479 or 516 lb-ft, and the grunt will be routed exclusively to the rear wheels by AMG's "Speedshift" seven-speed automatic. We’re still sad that the beloved, bellicose, naturally aspirated 6.2-liter V-8 that powered the last C63 is no more, but our drive of the four-door C63 proved that this engine is no wallflower in terms of responsiveness, fury, and righteous noise. Figure on zero-to-60-mph times of less than four seconds.

Estimated Arrival and Price: We will get our first official glance of the car in the fall before it goes on sale in the U.S. early next year. Pricing will start near $70K.

Email newsdesk@automotiveforums.com or send us a private message with a link to the content you think AF Members should check out!
AF News Desk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:16 PM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: 2016 Mercedes-AMG C63 Coupe Rendered, Detailed

I like the C63, always have since the first time I saw it on Top Gear in 2008. Even the 4 door version Clarkson was driving with all of that godawful chrome trim all over everything. Don't get me wrong, the M3 (which still had that fantastic V8 at the time) and the Audi RS4 featured in that film were great too, but up against the C63, they never had a chance. More power, more torque, more noise and a personality that the other two couldn't quite compete with. I believe the term used was "an ax murderer with headlights" and call me crazy, but my mind was made up when I heard that description and saw what the car was capable of.
The next restyling of the car saw removal of most of that ridiculous chrome, so to me it became even better.
There was however, something that I found a bit odd in a dishonest way. The 5.5 liter biturbo V8 eventually made it's way under the hood. Which is fine, that's a fantastic engine, but logically, shouldn't it now be called the C55? They did the same with the AMG E-class. But no, still the C63.
Now the engine size is going down to 4 liters. Again, nothing against the engine itself, it's a brilliant piece of engineering from the AMG division, but it really begs the question how can they still call it a C63? It just isn't anymore. It's a whole different car at this point, so what's wrong with calling it what it is; the C40 Biturbo? I can practically see the badge for that name In close proximity of an AMG badge. It's not like a customer in the market for the AMG model of anything won't have already heard or read about the new engine.
In conclusion, I still love the car, but change the name already!
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion