Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #16
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: Reset "Service 4WD" code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakkk View Post
I finally got a chance to install the new encoder motor. The motor seems to be responding to the control button now. I can get it to put the transfer case in Neutral, it goes into 4Lo (I hear the clunk), but the 4Lo light flashes instead of lighting solid, and the service 4WD indicator comes on. Same with 4Hi and 4Auto, the lights continuously flash instead of lighting solid.

I'm going to stop by my buddy's place and clear the codes to see if it throws any new codes. I'm also wondering if the existing codes can be confusing the TCCM?
with what you posted at the start I thought this maybe be multiple problems. as I said the code you gave , points to encoder motor N/G... so it now does move . next step is get the drive train codes post here and perhaps we can narrow it down.

the drive train codes reset on each start. the light flashing means the feedback is wrong so need code ..

what fluid did the transfer case have in it ? what did you put in it ?

plugs are 15 ft lbs max torque no more..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:41 PM   #17
yakkk
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
with what you posted at the start I thought this maybe be multiple problems. as I said the code you gave , points to encoder motor N/G... so it now does move . next step is get the drive train codes post here and perhaps we can narrow it down.

the drive train codes reset on each start. the light flashing means the feedback is wrong so need code ..

what fluid did the transfer case have in it ? what did you put in it ?

plugs are 15 ft lbs max torque no more..
I haven't changed the fluid yet, had to do the motor by crawling under the truck. I'll get the codes read tomorrow.
yakkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:54 AM   #18
yakkk
AF Newbie

The code is C0379 - Front Axle Circuit. I guess it's time to replace the actuator?
Old 04-22-2017, 11:18 AM   #19
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
The code is C0379 - Front Axle Circuit. I guess it's time to replace the actuator?
the c0379 does point to the front diff locking actuator. what some have found is metal chunks interfering with the actuator operation. If you do use your truck down on the beach often as I do know friends that do this every nice weekend , the drive train does work extra hard in the deep soft sand , so you best do more fluid checking and replacing to avoid this type stuff..
The Following User Says Thank You to j cAT For This Useful Post:
yakkk (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 11:22 AM   #20
yakkk
AF Newbie

Quote:
the c0379 does point to the front diff locking actuator. what some have found is metal chunks interfering with the actuator operation. If you do use your truck down on the beach often as I do know friends that do this every nice weekend , the drive train does work extra hard in the deep soft sand , so you best do more fluid checking and replacing to avoid this type stuff..
Yes, this truck is on Duxbury beach every summer. I'll replace the actuator and see what happens. And I'll put fluid replacement on the calendar too. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2017, 04:54 PM   #21
yakkk
AF Newbie

Reset "Service 4WD" code?

Any suggestions on removing a stuck actuator? It won't budge with vice grips on it. Can I heat the housing where the threads are? I'm just worried about heating the plastic nut surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2017, 06:59 PM   #22
yakkk
AF Newbie

Tried heating it, no dice. Will have to wait till I can get it on a lift next week. Probably a good thing, I'm about to lose my mind. Also noticed Diff fluid is low, seals are wet. Other than that, life is good...

Old 05-04-2017, 02:00 PM   #23
yakkk
AF Newbie

So I was able to get the old actuator out on a lift - the housing threads has corrosion in them so it was a b!tch to get the old one out, also had teflon tape on it.

I was able to stick my finger in the hole, press the actuator, and spun a tire to see the front shaft spinning, so it would seem that part is able to be engaged if the actuator is powered.

Installed the new actuator, changed the fluid, buttoned it back up, and it's still throwing the same C0379 code.

Is there an easy way to test the harness?

Last edited by yakkk; 05-04-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:13 PM   #24
j cAT
AF Fanatic

somehow I missed your other posts. the locking actuator replaced could be the wiring also when you changed the diff oil any metal ? you sure the teeth are good no debris interfering. put the old actuator to the connector , and see if it moves. if the actuators move it maybe the diff...
Old 05-04-2017, 10:14 PM   #25
yakkk
AF Newbie

Quote:
somehow I missed your other posts. the locking actuator replaced could be the wiring also when you changed the diff oil any metal ? you sure the teeth are good no debris interfering. put the old actuator to the connector , and see if it moves. if the actuators move it maybe the diff...
There was a tiny bit of metal on the screw head, nothing out of the ordinary according to my mechanic.

I'll try the old actuator to see what it does, also check the voltage on the plug.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:08 AM   #26
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
There was a tiny bit of metal on the screw head, nothing out of the ordinary according to my mechanic.

I'll try the old actuator to see what it does, also check the voltage on the plug.
this code throws when the locking actuator does not engage in 10 sec or less... so very possible something interfering .. how did the gear oil look ? wiring connector could be corroded ..see if pins green ..
Old 05-05-2017, 10:22 AM   #27
yakkk
AF Newbie

Quote:
this code throws when the locking actuator does not engage in 10 sec or less... so very possible something interfering .. how did the gear oil look ? wiring connector could be corroded ..see if pins green ..
Gear oil was ugly black.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:32 AM   #28
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Gear oil was ugly black.
the black means it was running very hot .. this can cause the gear teeth to crack/break.

when you fix this check the diff fluids because on the beach the diff''s work very much harder than in snow.. also drop drive shaft and grease the yoke with moly EP2 grease .
Old 06-03-2017, 03:53 PM   #29
yakkk
AF Newbie

Jcat, I was able to get a TCCM from an 03 that was parted out at a body shop. Do they need reprogramming or can I just slap it in? (I still have to check the actuator harness but I'm thinking ahead)

Old 06-04-2017, 09:04 AM   #30
j cAT
AF Fanatic

I said before connect the actuator up with it out of the diff , see if it operates.

check connectors for any green or other corrosion . TCCM rarely fails and I am not sure but others have had to get it programmed .I doubt that is the problem because the codes say no.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado