Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 02:07 AM   #1
ky wonder
AF Newbie

2013 5.3 oil pressure loss

I've got a 2013 z71 with the 5.3 it gave a check engine light low oil pressure tonight on my wife, I had her stop and check the oil it was full, it is 800 miles from next service with a total of 63000 miles on the truck

truck has always been ran with Castrol 5/30 50% syntactic oil.

after restarting code went away, and she went back to our daughters with it running between the 20-40 lb of oil pressure.

I am going down later this morning to see about the truck

any and all suggestions will be appreciated!
ky wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:21 AM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 2013 5.3 oil pressure loss

this is a AFM engine ? many at this mileage have had these issues as well as excessive oil usage. the engine is not the same as a 2000 5.3L engine and the components used to control cylinder on/off internal cause these type failures.

your oil type use is the problem. the oil to use is a GM DEXOS approved spec. I am surprised you used the wrong oil . many owners never do read the owners manual .

you have been a form member for a decade surprised you asked this question and used the wrong engine oil .

forum members with these AFM engines use the AFM delete widget that plugs into the OBD II port. this does work to prevent the oil loss and the engine damage. I use synthetic on my 2000 5.3L engine . change oil 7500 miles 175K miles on it no oil pressure issues or having to add oil between the oil changes .

use high quality oil filters also NO fram filters .. wix/pure one purolator/ napa gold /mobil / etc...wix XP series is a great oil filter ..

if under warranty tell them you used the GM approved DEXOS engine oil ...
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to j cAT For This Useful Post:
ky wonder (11-22-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 07:55 AM   #3
ky wonder
AF Newbie

I admit I have not read the owners manual, and was told it would have to have at least a 50% syntactic, with Delco filters, to maintain warranty, so I have used a chain affiliated quick oil change shop for service, it is not loosing oil between changes, and was full when checked last night.

its the wife's driver so I rarely drive it, my 2001 5.3 has well over 170000 miles and is still going strong using straight Castrol 5/30 oil

so I guess the 13 will now go to the shop, it's still under the 100000 mile powertrain warranty and this will be its first visit to the dealer since it was drove off the lot 3 years ago
Old 11-22-2016, 05:46 PM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky wonder View Post
I admit I have not read the owners manual, and was told it would have to have at least a 50% syntactic, with Delco filters, to maintain warranty, so I have used a chain affiliated quick oil change shop for service, it is not loosing oil between changes, and was full when checked last night.

its the wife's driver so I rarely drive it, my 2001 5.3 has well over 170000 miles and is still going strong using straight Castrol 5/30 oil

so I guess the 13 will now go to the shop, it's still under the 100000 mile powertrain warranty and this will be its first visit to the dealer since it was drove off the lot 3 years ago
before you bring it in read all about the oil to be used. If you say you used the non dexos they could screw you .. they may screw you anyway since many had to hire an attorney .... On the OBS 5.3L you can use conventional oil but ,, IMO would never do it 2 reasons . one less oil changes two saves me money and time.

I buy 6qts of mobil one full synthetic for $27 USD...I do pay $6 USD for the high quality oil filters. change @7500 miles oil looks like when I put it in.I do allow 45min of drain time so it all comes out ! quick lube jockeys will never do that.

when GM came out with the dexos approved oil spec which mobil synthetic then produced ,that was the best oil I ever used in 50 yrs of engine work.

my 2000 had the piston slap and lifter noise at times when cold when new. that was over a decade now since I had those cold start sounds.

good luck at the dealership ..........
Old 11-24-2016, 10:23 AM   #5
ky wonder
AF Newbie

actually I think it was a filter issue, when I picked it up the next morning I changed out the filter and oil and it went back to normal operating range. so I am going to drive it and if I see any other issue I will carry it to dealer
Old 11-24-2016, 11:19 AM   #6
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

What type filter was creating the symptoms? Was it orange?
Old 11-24-2016, 01:11 PM   #7
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky wonder View Post
actually I think it was a filter issue, when I picked it up the next morning I changed out the filter and oil and it went back to normal operating range. so I am going to drive it and if I see any other issue I will carry it to dealer
this is a great filter to use with the synthetic oil http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Par...x?Part=1863386

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado