Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #16
Tompidom
AF Enthusiast

Re: zero 2k clear

Well its normal to still smell some of the paint. And yes this could be a healt issu. I personaly don't take off my mask untill the airbrush is all cleaned out and I am ready to get out of the room. After closing the door I cant smell any of the paint or 2K clear. But if you do you should get either a better spray booth or a second one to make it dubble as powerfull. Or spray lighter coats so the spray booth has more time to move the fapours.

Hope this helps.

My online webshop
www.thescalemodeler.com
Tompidom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:04 AM   #17
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Stu - in my opinion if you do not have a dedicated room for spraying the 2K then I would suggest, no - I wouldn't have the fumes around my family or pets if I had them.
Do you have a garage? if so, maybe you could spray there.
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:04 PM   #18
kans0002
AF Regular

thanks for the quick response guys. I do have a dedicated room to spray in, and I can (and do) close the door, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

I guess I am still on the fence.
kans0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:04 PM   #19
lezdep
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kans0002 View Post
thanks for the quick response guys. I do have a dedicated room to spray in, and I can (and do) close the door, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

I guess I am still on the fence.
If you can still smell paint after you finish painting session, you need a better extractor fan. I have self made spray booth where
I've used powerful furnace fan. Same fan as used in my house ventilation system. Even with that I don't feel 100% safe. Btw,
I actually leave extractor running for few more hours, after I've actually finished painting.
lezdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:58 PM   #20
stevenoble
AF Enthusiast

Unless you have the proper kit and you feel happy that it will do the job of extracting the vapours from the 2k clear, I wouldn't use it. I still wonder everytime I use it. In fact I have limited how much I use it myself somewhat. It's not something to be taken lightly. I did read that you can get a 2k that is isocyanate free? Never used it so I can't comment on how good/bad it is to use. Lets be honest all paints are bad for health if atomised and breathed into the lungs. Safety precautions, whilst very necessary with 2k are also essential for any paints that we spray. Get a good lungful or two of Tamiya TS, Mr Color lacquer or Zero paints and it makes you feel sick and dizzy, so I always wear full kit, mask, gloves, goggles and have the extractor running when I spray those paints too. There is no such thing as being too careful when it comes to your health..
Old 05-31-2014, 01:10 AM   #21
John18d
AF Enthusiast

I concur 100% with what Steve wrote above
John
Old 02-04-2022, 03:34 PM   #22
manfras
AF Newbie

Hi
Anyone knows if the 6 months shelf life on the hardener stated on the bottle , is really only of 6 months?
I have bought a 100ml clear but I'm a slow builder and it has around 18 months since I first used it (only painted 2 cars, the second one 8 months after first usage) , and I wanted to try on a third car but I'm afraid it might be too old. I sprayed a week ago on some small pieces and it seems ok and cured normally, should I risk it at use it another time (I still have enough for a t least 3 our 4 other cars :-( ), or should I discard it and buy a new set?
any thoughts appreciated.
Andre
manfras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 05:33 AM   #23
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfras View Post
Hi
Anyone knows if the 6 months shelf life on the hardener stated on the bottle , is really only of 6 months?
I have bought a 100ml clear but I'm a slow builder and it has around 18 months since I first used it (only painted 2 cars, the second one 8 months after first usage) , and I wanted to try on a third car but I'm afraid it might be too old. I sprayed a week ago on some small pieces and it seems ok and cured normally, should I risk it at use it another time (I still have enough for a t least 3 our 4 other cars :-( ), or should I discard it and buy a new set?
any thoughts appreciated.
Andre
Andre - I answered your other posting
John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John18d For This Useful Post:
manfras (02-12-2022)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling