Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cobalt
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 10:34 PM   #1
Falcon24
AF Newbie

09 Cobalt Service airbag light

I own an 09 Chev. Cobalt. Last week it was at the dealership to replace a broken turn signal switch. The very next day the service airbag light started going off and on during driving. Took the car back to the dealer and they said that the airbag sensor located on the radiator was bad. (codes B0083 and B0012) Had that replaced at a cost of $375. The light is still going off and on and now the dealer is saying the whole airbag system needs to be replaced at a cost of $1000!!! I can't help but think this might have something to do with the fact that they took the steering wheel off to repair the turn signal switch. They say they checked it but it seems too much of a coincidence. I have found several service bulletins on various websites relating to the airbag system on an 09 Cobalt, but GM says that unless it is directly through them, it is not reliable information and they will not honor it. Thoughts anyone? Thanks!

Last edited by Falcon24; 01-27-2014 at 11:21 PM. Reason: typo
Falcon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:05 AM   #2
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Re: 09 Cobalt Service airbag light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon24 View Post
I own an 09 Chev. Cobalt. Last week it was at the dealership to replace a broken turn signal switch. The very next day the service airbag light started going off and on during driving. Took the car back to the dealer and they said that the airbag sensor located on the radiator was bad. (codes B0083 and B0012) Had that replaced at a cost of $375. The light is still going off and on and now the dealer is saying the whole airbag system needs to be replaced at a cost of $1000!!! I can't help but think this might have something to do with the fact that they took the steering wheel off to repair the turn signal switch. They say they checked it but it seems too much of a coincidence. I have found several service bulletins on various websites relating to the airbag system on an 09 Cobalt, but GM says that unless it is directly through them, it is not reliable information and they will not honor it. Thoughts anyone? Thanks!

B0083 is indeed a code for the center front impact sensor circut, and would probably NOT be related to the turnsignal switch repairs. The B0012, however, indicates a problem with the drivers side deployment loop (the drivers air bag circut). This could very well be related to the repairs that were preformed (I'm not saying that it is, just that it could be!!) There are tabs on the connectors for the air bag that need to be seated correctly in order for the terminals in the connectors to make the correct contact. One or both of the tabs MAY not be seated right.

I have seen various connector/terminal issues cause problems. I would take the car to another dealer for a second opinion....be sure to let them know about the turnsignal repairs. They will still charge you diagnosis, but they may also fix it for a lot less!
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #3
Falcon24
AF Newbie

Re: Service airbag light

Thank you for the info. This is the service bulletin from the NHSTA website relating to the airbag and it specifically mentions the code B0012. Does this give us any grounds to insist that this is a safety issue with improperly functioning airbags and that GM needs to take care of the repair?

Component(s): AIR BAGS NHTSA ID Number: 10029924
All Products Associated with this Service Bulletin
0 Associated Documents
Manufacturer: GM DAEWOO AUTO & TECHNOLOGY COMPANY , General Motors LLC
SUMMARY:
GENERAL MOTORS: DIAGNOSTIC INFORMATION FOR INTERMITTENT RESTRAINTS, AIR BAG (SIR) INDICATOR/LAMP ON WITH DTC(S) B0012, B0013, B0016, B0016, B0019, B0020, B0022, B0023, B0026, B0033, B0040, B0042 OR B0044 SET. THIS MAY BE CAUSED BY A LOOSE, MISSING, OR BROKEN CONNECTOR POSITION ASSURANCE (CPA) RETAINER AT THE AIR BAG FOR THE SET DTC. INCLUDES TRAILBLAZER EXT. *PE UPDATED 8/16/10. *PE UPDATED 3/12/12. *PE
Falcon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:07 AM   #4
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

This information is simply a Technical Service Bulliten written to help the tech diagnose specific codes. It just lists a POSSIBLE problem. It's not a factory recall or anthing close to it. I can't give you any leagal advice (I'm not qualified anyway!) It just seems to me that the dealership should put a little more effort into the diagnosis of the B0012 since that code started right after the turnsignal switch was replaced. I've been in this business for a ling time, and I know sometimes things just happen. I don't know EXCATLY what the problem is with your car, but if it were me, I'd take a good close look at the connectors at the drivers bag and start from there.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Have to agree with GMTech1 on this....you go back to the SM.....say to him to have the tech who did the job the first time, to recheck his work, pertaining to the B0012 code, since that was not there before the work was done.....

If he will not, then call GM Customer Assistance.....see if they will help you....if they won't, then tell them and the GM shop you will be making a complaint with the BBB, and you will have another shop check their work....

But at least give them the opportunity to make the first move....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:57 AM   #6
roadrunner21
AF Newbie

I have a 2008 Chevy Cobalt and the Airbag light comes on it's weird when it's summer time and hot about 85 degrees and winter cold as in Wow I need a jacket and gloves the airbag light goes off.And when the airbag lights goes off my driver side speaker works again and I can hear the chime like when it's warning for gas or a seat belt is not fastened and can hear the turn signals when I go right or left.So I'm in the same almost kind of situation but when I hear the turn signal work I blast my speakers because its a bummer to only one side working which is the driver side.So if this can be fixed someone help me please.
roadrunner21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:54 AM   #7
lordbb1
AF Newbie

Post is bit old, but thought I'd add my 2cents.
Recently replaced the turn signal switch on wife's 07 cobalt. Following
instructions from various Utube vids and forum posts it was an easy job.

That night wife takes car to town, and comes back and tells me the
turn signals are working great, but a Service Air Bag warning is on the dash display. GREAT..

I didn't know how I could have damaged anything, but it was TOO much of a coincidence that I had taken the steering column apart, and now I suddenly have this error.

Next morning I start to take the steering column apart again, and after removing the top cover of column, I notice a red 'tab' sticking up in the air from a connector I hadn't messed with. After some researching I concluded that this was the airbag module connector for the steering wheel. I had no idea what this tab was for but I didn't remember seeing it before, and being RED would seem to mean something.

[I have since found a good picture of the TAB and its 'tie.' The red tab slips into a slot on the mating connector that the yellow end also plugs into.]

http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/...otoprimary.jpg

Well as everybody here knows, it is part of the Airbag interlock system.
I fiddle around with it until I found how it slipped back into the connector.

Turned on the key, and the airbag system finished self checks without error!

Apparently when I put the cowling back onto to the steering column, It caught the plastic tie on the tab, and pulled it out of the connector.

Happy ending here. Hope this helps somebody else.
BB
lordbb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:24 PM   #8
maxwedge
A990 racer

Another reason to have direct SRS knowledge or follow a factory manual.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
airbag , cobalt , codes , repair
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cobalt