Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > CTS and CTS-V
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
MetroDCadillacCts5
AF Newbie

2005 Cadillac Cts Help

THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR FINDING A SOLUTION TO MY PROBLEM BUT TO NARROW DOWN POSSIBILITIES WHERE SOMETHING WRONG HAS OCCURED

With that out of the way, I can begin my story. A little while ago I purchased a nice little touchscreen pioneer radio for my Cadillac cts. As I have some knowledge with cars but not enough involving wiring, I purchased the services of a local radio install shop for help. Upon completion, a problem arose. Whenever I turn my car off a charge runs through the radio. This is bad because the morning after my battery is dead and I have no way to commute to school or work.

The auto repair shop(not the radio shop) tried solving the problem by first charging the old battery and then trying to restart the car again the next morning. No Luck.

The next round they tried a new battery and the battery again died the next morning.

This eliminates the possibility of a faulty battery.

Next, I decided to try to narrow it down to which wires were my problem.

There are three factory connectors which connect to a harness which then runs to the radio. I believe that one is audio, one is SW1(unsure what that is), and one has my 12 constant.

By process of elimination and a few days of test I narrowed it down to the 12 constant. This from the start was a given, but I wanted to be sure.

The car runs fine and can start with the SW1 and audio pieces in. Meaning that the car can sit as long as it wants and there is no drain to battery.

So this leads me to conclude that this piece of the harness is the problem.

The chat on this site was very helpful, and suggested that it could be a faulty radio.

To narrow it down from there, I will connect my old radio to the harness tonight and this will determine if it is the wiring or the radio.

So what my question to this community is, What else could be my problem here. I am very sorry I have no pictures and had to explain fairly simple concepts, however I am stumped on what could be drawing power.

Oh taking it back is out of the question, as today the owner refused that it was the radios fault and claimed that he could not diagnose the problem.

IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE RADIO. His statement shows his own pride getting in the way of his lack of knowledge in this field.

Not trying to be rude, but I don't like losing $250.

Before I do save enough money to take it to a Cadillac dealership, I want to make an educated decision and see if I can rule out anything else before spending more money.

I don't live in a world of money, and if I can narrow the problem down and have a auto engineering friend fix the problem, I would benefit greatly. However its up to me to find the problem.

Before you tell me to go to a dealership and spend more money I would have to work for, help me please at least narrow my search down on the issue at hand.

So its either:

A. A faulty radio(testing tonight)

B. Faulty or misplaced wiring

Am I missing anything else on what could be wrong?
MetroDCadillacCts5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
MetroDCadillacCts5
AF Newbie

Re: 2005 Cadillac Cts Help

Anyone smart wont mention the fact that there are small charges going through my for example, memory. That's not the problem. Im talking enough to kill my battery, which would not be that.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
maxwedge
A990 racer

The rap module keeps the accesories on for maybe 15 minutes after the ign is turned off, or the door is opened, could that be staying on way too long and possibly keeping the radio powered up some how? BTW you are not helping your cause here with the comments in the second post.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
MetroDCadillacCts5
AF Newbie

I had just a little conversation in the chat about that and just wanted to make clear that I am not poorly informed when I say that I don't want a charge running through my radio when the car is off. Sorry for offending you so much... The door kills the radio whenever I open it so its not the radio staying on long after I exit the car.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
maxwedge
A990 racer

You are not offending me in anyway, but the tone of that post might put have off some people.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > CTS and CTS-V