Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > Corsa/Barina
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
razor12
AF Newbie

need help (Opel corsa lite)

Hi(PLEASE READ THIS!) Please can you help me. I am writing on behalf of my girlfriend who owns a Opel Corsa Lite 2009 model, she bought the car 2nd hand with only +- 10000kms. She started having problems whereby her car would cut out as she was driving, after several visits to the mechanic and to GM mechanics (all saying that there is nothing wrong)) the problem was never fixed.

Eventually it cut out while I was in the car and would start up again and cut out within 30 seconds, it cut out about 10 times, I had to phone a friend to come tow us away. Later that day after about an hour or 2 the car started and was able to get home without cutting out.

Now what we were told is that it might be the ignition coil which is causing the problem of cutting out while drive. Now her father has a Corsa Lite aswell, the mechanic swapped the coils between the 2 cars and within an 1 her fathers corsa had broken down 4 times!! Establishing that it was the coil, we purchased a new coil from GM(General Motors), leaving the fathers coil in my girlfriends Corsa and placing the new coil into her fathers Corsa.

Now the old faulty coil has been replaced!!

NOW!!! My girlfriend is starting to break down with her fathers coil in her car!! It seems as though her Corsa is damaging the coil unit and causing it to not work correctly!!

Please help her as she is unsure of whether she is going to be able to get home at night driving home from work or if she is going to break down! She is at her wits end and does not know where to turn. She has spent money on services, inspections, and auto electrcians (diagnostics don't bring any errors) and no-one can solve her problems.

Does any1 have any ideas as to what the problem could be??

razor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:48 AM   #2
HeatherMay
AF Newbie

Re: need help (Opel corsa lite)

Had same problem with my corsa lite. Plug port No. 2 not firing.
Had new coil installed last Friday. Wednesday this week, same problem.
Took back car to the dealer and was told that it was probably a faulty coil pack. Asked them to please check plug leads as I was told that if the plug wires were faulty that it fires back into the coil pack and damages it.
Yesterday had new coil pack and a set of new plug leads replaced.
So I hope this sorts out the problem.
Have you checked your plugs to see which one or two are not firing?
Been told that 1 and 4 plugs work together and 2 and 3, so you may find that there is more than one plug that is not firing, but not necessarily so.
Other reasons for coil pack going are :bad earth and alternator over charging. Ask for a diagnostic test if necessary.
The coil pack seems to be an achilles heal with the corsa lites.

Hope this helps
Heather
HeatherMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
woody2807
AF Newbie

I second Heather's answer. All good advice.
woody2807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
YolandaP
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: need help (Opel corsa lite)

Hay guys,

I had similar problems on my Corsa, replaced the coil packs was hunky dory for just over a year now...... now my car is jerking / shuddering then proceeds to cut out. Have it at the mechanic, have replaced all sparkplugs & leads new crankshaft sensors, (aswell as a whole bunch of other sensors) new fuel pump and even another new coil pack........ & guess what, she is still doing it. If any of you have suggestions please let me know, I am at witts end
YolandaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
Googlefreak
AF Newbie

Yolanda have you found out what the problem was yet?
Googlefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:16 AM   #6
YolandaP
AF Newbie

hi I did eventually, small crack in the water pump which we didn't see, and needed new original coilpack
YolandaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
Chantellabella
AF Newbie

Hey there,

I know this is a very old thread, but I had the same issue with my Opel Corsa Lite - been driving it for just over 3 years now, and it also cut out while I was driving. It was driving me nuts!! So I took it to McCarthy, and they told me it was one of the fuel pump relays (and it 'only' cost about R1 200...) - that was last friday. It seems ok sofar, I just hope it doesn't happen again...

One thing is for sure, though, my next car is NOT going to be a Corsa Lite, lol...
Chantellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
Sparky Maximus
AF Newbie

I could not agree more, Chantellabella! I'll never buy another Corsa. The problem is how do I sell this one? I'd feel really dishonest if I sold it with its recurring coil pack problem, but I've had it now.

In the past two-and-a-half years we've had it replaced four times. Two independent mechanics, an auto electrical engineer and the official dealers have all had a look. Each time the verdict has been replace the coil pack.

I keep saying 'but you are treating the symptom not the cause. You cannot tell me that the coil pack can pack up five times [did I mention the fourth time was yesterday and the new coil is already playing up today] and that it isn't something else affecting it.'

Nope, they say, they have run all the diagnostic tests. There is nothing else wrong. it's the coil. Replace it. Wait a year or maybe a bit more, then replace again. And again. This is infuriating. Surely someone somewhere can get to the bottom of this problem, which is clearly something the manufacturer should take responsibility for. It must be some defect in the Corsa Lite wiring or electronics, whatever.

I like Razor's trick of swopping the coil packs with another Corsa. I'm going to try that if I can find a willing Corsa owner. Then show the results to the mechanics/dealer.
Sparky Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote