Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Opel/Vauxhall > Speedster/VX220
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 12:47 PM   #16
Cbass
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cbass Send a message via AIM to Cbass Send a message via MSN to Cbass Send a message via Yahoo to Cbass
Same ecotec, different chip though. I have some friends in europe who tell me the Opels reputation is entirely undeserved, and limit to a couple of models in recent history. I don't know which models though. The ecotec is supposed to be a strong, well developed engine, so I assume there should not be any reliability issues.

Connor - Porsche Nazi since 2001, VW defiler since 2004

This here's a Fabrication forum!
My lugnut requires more torque than your LS1 makes.
Cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 02:20 PM   #17
ZondaFreak02
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ZondaFreak02
did you get your speedster tet??????????
ZondaFreak02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 12:31 PM   #18
fieroturbo
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to fieroturbo
FYI: GM's drag cavalier with a 2.0L version of the 2.2L EcoTec pulled 850HP with mostly stock parts, and turbo with intercooler.

The EcoTec was designed by Lotus, then used it in the Elise, then GM wanted it for the J-body cars, and Opel got it for the speedster. So don't worry about reliability, cause Opel designed the body, but not much else.

The reason for the car not being in the US yet involves emissions (to my knowledge). But really, if you throw in a j-body chip, you're all set. I'm going into the navy, so I may be stationed in Germany at one point or another. If I do, I'll buy a speedster, and bring it back to the states, even if I can only use it for racing. It's how the Elise started in the states, race only. The navy will transport one car for free if you get shipped overseas, so I plan on taking advantage of that.

For those that can wait for the speedster to be legal in the US, just get a Pontiac Fiero, like me. It's the predecessor to Saturns and the Speedster (and I guess the Elise). In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Pontiac uses the design for the speedster as a new Fiero.

The Pontiac Fiero was the first and only mid-engined car made by the US, or at least the first to be produced. The corvette had some mid-engine prototypes, and Cadillac has a V12 exotic car coming out in 2005 called the "cien" which is spanish for 100. The Fiero was the first car to ever use a spaceframe design with plastic body panels, which all Saturns have. And the 88 models (which is what I have) has a Lotus designed suspension system. Some say it's just a rumor, but it explains why the 88's are metric, and the 84-87's are standard.

I'm all for the speedster coming to the US. I just hope it goes under Pontiac's nameplate, and not Chevy's. Pontiac has a new GTO to replace the Firebird, and a new car called the Solstice; a two seater, with a roadster design (to compete with the Miata) and a coupe design that looks like a Datsun 240Z. Both are powered by a 240HP supercharged EcoTec, but both have the room for a smallblock V8. Power is delivered to the wheels with the same 6-speed as the Firebird, Camaro, and GTO.

All of this gets to my next point. The supercharger now available at goodwrench.com, will work on all EcoTec's. It will add about 40-50HP and about the same for the torque. With upgrades, it can certainly support more. GM is going to start a whole new performance part line for the EcoTec; pistons, connecting rods, cams, cranks, the roots-style supercharger, etc.

My guess is that GM didn't get the 4cylinder performance bug out of it's system when the Fiero was around. There was a 3.0L DOHC upgrade for the 4cyl, that made 500HP right out of the box, but with lots of $$$, more than 1000HP was within reach, but that high price is what killed it; $15,000 for a complete kit (current pricing at race-cars.com).

GM wants to prove it can beat out the import scene's 4cylinders before fuel-cell powered electric motors take over in 10 years. And I hope they do! The rice boy era will finally die out, and the mini-muscle cars will dominate (I guess mini-muscle is a good nickname, it's better than beef boy).

Post a reply, I like this topic very much. It's the only part of this site where people aren't ripping eachothers heads off.
fieroturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2003, 09:46 AM   #19
Doucette
Indie Game Developer

Re: About to get it!

rstefdc, can you post some pics for us?
Old 08-02-2003, 06:00 AM   #20
AC_A340-500
AF Enthusiast

Just saw a test of the Speedster Turbo on TV with 200HP and a curb weight of only 930kg's. Sounds like it would be funt to drive! I eally like the unique tire sizes too. Something like 175/55-17 up front and 225/45-17 in the rear.
AC_A340-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 10:34 PM   #21
CivicLeader
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to CivicLeader Send a message via Yahoo to CivicLeader
Hey guys...sorry to ask this question but do you think you can post some pic's of the Speedster...I've never seen one and am interested in what/how it looks...
Thanks in advance....
CL
CivicLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 02:57 PM   #22
mando
AF Newbie

this is the official opelsite (speedster galerie)

http://www.opel.de/shop/cars/speedst...01/content.act

we have finished our fase4 (300+hp) speedster turbo and I will post the specs soon

greetz mando
Old 01-20-2004, 11:31 AM   #23
zeusolivier
AF Newbie

For your information it has the same chassis as the Elise and is built by Lotus.

The performance are similar but the engine is better. You also have brake assistance and ABS which makes the driving a little bit easyer.

It definately should come to the US. I have one, the driving is amazing.

You can have mine for 22000 euro (27500$ excluding import taxes and shipping, new price was 35000 euro), ferbuary 2003, 15000 km, metallic grey, 2.2l 147 bhp (hardtop, softtop and leather, basically all options) as good as new, extraordinar car (0-62 miles/hour in 5.9 sec, and oh my god in the curves only pleasure) but very unpractical , is more like a second car.

Also, notice that if money is not a problem for you, you better look for a 2.0l turbo with 200 bhp, 0-62 miles/hour in just 4.9 sec
zeusolivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 12:28 AM   #24
jbaacke
AF Newbie

Smile just bought a speedster

dear friends. i resently purchesed a 2002 opel speedster in germany. does anyone know how much it will const me to get it through customes, up to california emissions standards and out long beach harbor?
jbaacke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:33 AM   #25
geeforce9
AF Newbie

Re: speedster

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone has had their Speedster out on the track, I'm thinking of buying one (VX220 Turbo/VXR220 UK spec) and am comparing it with Lotus Exige, Nissan 350Z, Honda S2000 and RX-8. Just the groundwork now, so any info would be much appreciated!

Many thanks.