Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Magazine Critic > Sport Compact Car
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-23-2001, 01:13 PM   #16
turbonetrix
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to turbonetrix Send a message via Yahoo to turbonetrix

Do not discredit the 300z!

A Z with 400hp can keep up with a 500hp Supra and maybe beat it.
The Z is also a TRUE TWIN TURBO the Supra is not. The turbos on the Z run at the same time while the ones on the Supra run seperately. Therefore the Supra has much more lag then the Z.
Don't get me wrong the Supra is just as good as the Z, but I guess it's just a matter of taste.
Old 11-23-2001, 10:48 PM   #17
DavidG
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by turbonetrix

Do not discredit the 300z!

A Z with 400hp can keep up with a 500hp Supra and maybe beat it.
The Z is also a TRUE TWIN TURBO the Supra is not. The turbos on the Z run at the same time while the ones on the Supra run seperately. Therefore the Supra has much more lag then the Z.
Don't get me wrong the Supra is just as good as the Z, but I guess it's just a matter of taste.
turbo lag on the supra???
up until now i though that toyota make the turboes in the supra run different(actually one is not working at low rpm) to reduce turbo lag, and have much more pick up/boost at low rpm...

and making one turbo spin while the other is dead takes more brain to engineer than to make both spin at the same time, you dont need any thing just a manifold and turbos. but on the supra you see all the hardware and valves now thats a beauty
Old 11-23-2001, 11:38 PM   #18
turbonetrix
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to turbonetrix Send a message via Yahoo to turbonetrix
All of that is true but the Supra still uses one turbo at a time and not two. You get more efficient use out of two turbos running at the same time than one, atleast that's what i think. As far as the turbo lag issue I should have cleared that up,it applies more so when you convert it to a single turbo, down from twin.
Old 11-24-2001, 06:34 PM   #19
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

the use of 2 turbos running at different times actually prevents lag... they have the smaller turbo spool up quicker and accelerate, then the big dawg can come in once it spools up
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
gang$tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 08:09 PM   #20
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
Gang$tarr is correct.
Old 11-24-2001, 10:53 PM   #21
DavidG
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by gang$tarr
the use of 2 turbos running at different times actually prevents lag... they have the smaller turbo spool up quicker and accelerate, then the big dawg can come in once it spools up
thats what i was saying............

and i pretty sure about this cause my friend owns a 1996 TT supra

i dont know anyother reason why the engineers spend so much time designing a system to work like that:sun:
Old 01-03-2002, 10:04 AM   #22
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidG
i dont know anyother reason why the engineers spend so much time designing a system to work like that:sun:
Why? A simple and clear answer: The Supra is a street car. Toyota knows that people are going to want their car to be at least somewhat driveable, and sequential twin-turbos seriously help reduce lag while only slightly degrading performance, as stated before. However that doesn't mean the 2JZ-GTE or the 13B automatically suck compared to a parallel twin turbo system; think outside of the straight line, unless your car's main job is solely drag racing, where boosted horsepower outweighs lag, which isn't much of an issue while you speed-shift. But most of these cars are going to be turning, and when you slow for a turn, you need to quickly pick up again.

Oh and another thing. Don't think for a minute that the 300ZX has parallel twin-turbos by choice. The fact that the VG30DETT is a V-6 forces the design to be parallel placing each turbo on opposite sides of the engine bay. They can't simply work in sequence with that layout.
Morpheus XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 04:09 PM   #23
gang$tarr
AF Fanatic

i would much rather have the sequential turbos than the parallel

i thought they help accelerate quicker, no?
"Your ice don't shine an your chain hollow/ why you front in clubs for hours wit tha same bottle/ takin midget sips/ I run wit the richest clicks/ Tap the thickest chicks/ plus drop the slickest hits/ you know nothin about L/ so don't doubt L/ what's this muthafuckin rap game wit out L/ Yo that's like jewels wit out ice/ that's like china wit out rice/ or the holy bible wit out christ/ tha bulls wit out mike/ crack heads wit out pipes/ or hockey games wit out fights/ don't touch the mic if you aint able to spit/ flamboyant is tha label i'm wit.. muthafucka.... Big L"
gang$tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 10:38 PM   #24
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Yeah they do accelerate quicker, but they have slightly less boost. If I felt like changing up and modding the Supra for absolute maximum boost, It would even be better to trade up both turbos for one massive piece. The single turbo layout shows WAY more lag, but when you're drag racing, this isn't much of a problem.
Morpheus XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 01:16 AM   #25
integra818
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to integra818 Send a message via Yahoo to integra818
Quote:
Originally posted by paul

Integra - hell no

:finger4: :finger4: :finger4:

J/K I respect you opinion, but still...:finger:
integra818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 01:30 AM   #26
integra818
AF Fanatic

On the supra turbo topic: What if you put one big turbo, and inject nitrous in the turbo housing at low rpm to prevent lag, this would be great for canyon racing, trust me, there ARE supras that canyon race. My brother kept up with it on the turns but when he got to the straightaway, the supra was gone, my bro drives an integra gsr droped with tires.
Old 04-06-2003, 03:15 PM   #27
Mallet
Banned

The V6 in th 300 also make more natural low end torque not necesitating a inseries system also what the man said was true a 400 hp Z can beat a higher 500 powered Supra because its a spiked hp peak were the z is a flat hp and torque run.. look at their dyno's they tell it all.. and the Supa my god its a jellybean wih a ricer wing.. taalk about a Peis extension car forget Vettes.. the Z is classy looks bette and is more aerodynamic.. hence its winning best import sports car from 90-95 including the Nsx of course this is a overall win
Mallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 04:11 PM   #28
integra818
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Mallet
... a ricer wing...
Old 04-07-2003, 05:52 AM   #29
Mallet
Banned

Are you talkingtome..ll

i think i have carsthat might be able to hng with your ITR lol
it is MY opinion the Supra has a major Ricer wing that deter the mature look of the car.. it more boy racer.. which is fine for some

Mallet
Mallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 05:18 PM   #30
integra818
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Mallet
Are you talkingtome..ll

i think i have carsthat might be able to hng with your ITR lol
it is MY opinion the Supra has a major Ricer wing that deter the mature look of the car.. it more boy racer.. which is fine for some

Mallet
I did'nt claim my integra was faster than whatever you have, Idon't know about that.

First of all, the wing comes stock, so how is it realy ricer, second... the true definition of a ricer is someone who puts things on their cars to make t look faster than in is. I don't think toyota put that wing to make it look faster than the 13.5 it runs. Third...boy racer... probably not, not too many 'boys' can handle a 2JZgte.

I'm sorry if I sound so defensive/offensive and I respect your opinion, but I think you have the definition of a ricer all turned around.

Wait, how do you know your car can hang with mine? How do you know I don't have an 11 second integra? You don't